Just diagnosed in my neck C4 to C7 !

Options
Dawnie
Dawnie Member Posts: 3
edited 17. Sep 2014, 11:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Bit of background information. I have a bulged C3 disk and then was told in my last scan I have arthritus in C4 to C7.
I didnt expect it and was in shock and didnt ask any questions just wanted to run from the room.
I started to think of the future and as it was my neck what would my movement be like.
I have had the disk for 5 years and manage on medication.
I have had physio and other treatments over the years and my little hot water bottle is my best friend.
I work full time teaching, which is demanding but I just cary on, but now this its made me worry.
Could I ask for advice on what I could do as its in my neck.
Thanks
Dawn

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Dawn. I just dropped by to wish you well. I do have arthritis in my neck - in fact I've very little movement in it - but it's not painful these days and, in any case, my OA is caused by my RA so a bit different to your problems.

I hope someone with neck difficulties can come on soon to help. I guess these things are scary at first (I've had mine so long I've forgotten :wink: ) but we learn to adapt and survive and you'll get a lot of support here.

In the meantime, try reading some of Slosh's posts as she had a neck op and has just returned to teaching.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    hello Dawn
    Physio is very important with neck probs,you have to keep it moving,I use my wheat bag out of the microwave first, then do the exercises..I do them at least 3 times a day more if I remember..I see you have had physio ..if its a while since you could ask your GP for more..and don't forget the comp doesn't help, make sure your neck isn't bending while looking at the screen good luck.
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Hi. I have cervical spondylosis C5,6,7 and T1 and in my case it also puts pressure on my spinal nerve, causing severe pain not only in my neck but also in my shoulders and arm. In addition I had two prolapsed discs. As physiotherapy wasn't effective and due to other problems that developed I had the two discs removed and the lower three vertebrae in my neck fused earlier this year. Mine came on and developed very quickly, unlike yours.
    The surgery is major and I would think that if you are managing on pain relief and with physio then it is not something that will be considered as yet.
    I had physio post op, and have been discharged but have to do my exercises three times a day to avoid stiffening up.
    I have a specially shaped memory foam pillow and a high backed chair at work and at school.
    As you are a teacher I would suggest you ask for a referral to Occupational Health, I found them very helpful.
    And do be careful with computer use. But on the positive side when I had my diagnosis I was immediately given a list of does and don'ts from my GP and also from the physio due to the complicating factors in my case. If you haven't been given these then take that as a positive.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Dawnie
    Dawnie Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi

Thank you for all your advice and support xxx
    I will look at OH for work and the computer.
    I have taken it as a good sign with no do's and dont's.
    I will have a good read of all the other information on the site.
    Thank you once again for your advice and giving me a little boost to stay positive it worked a treat xxx :D
    Dawn