Matress & Mattress toppers for hip replacement(s)....

wildway
wildway Member Posts: 26
edited 20. Sep 2014, 13:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there,

I recently had a bilateral hip replacement. I can now start to sleep on my sides but I'm struggling due to the mattress. It's not that old so I'm thinking about a mattress topper but haven't excluded the idea of a new mattress. Does anyone have any advice/recommendations on either? The toppers seem to be a minefield of feathers, hollow fibre and memory phone. The White Company come out top on 'Which?' website followed closely by John Lewis but they don't day which actual ones and there is a huge variation in prices.

By the way, when I slept on a memory foam mattress in the past I found it far too hot. John Lewis now have an MF topper with ventilation pockets but not sure if this actually works. It's also the most expensive.

Any advice/suggestions gratefully received :)

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I haven't had a hip replacement but do struggle with hip pain due to RA, I have a memory foam topper which was pricy but makes a world of difference. I think if you put mattress topper in the search box you might find some previous threads on a similar topic.

Good luck with your search.

Deb
  • wildway
    wildway Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for your replies. I've found a couple of official documents by putting 'mattress topper' in search but not other threads unless I'm looking in the wrong place?

The official line is memory foam topper seems to help so perhaps I should test a few more. 'Which?' recommend a Silentnight memory Foam mattress which is also currently on offer by the way, but they also say it is hot! So I'm put off by that...... :(
  • rayray
    rayray Member Posts: 115
    Hi There,

I bought a mattress topper due to hip pain and have since had a thr. I have both a memory foam topper and a ripple mattress overlay and it is this second one which is best for me. Much cheaper than memory foam and the ripples mean that you stay relatively cool. Not sure if you can add a link, if it is removed - the one I bought was from Betterlife:

http://www.betterlifehealthcare.com/view_product.php?prodID=3774

worth a look.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Did you try the pink search engine box? If so, try also the little blue button on the line below it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I bought a mattress topper to go on top of my not very old but very firm mattress, and I'm glad I did. Mine is a memory foam one with small holes through to supposedly stop it from getting too hot and I can say that I had no problems with feeling too hot sleeping on it through the summer. I got mine from an online catalogue company, v***, it had good reviews. Make sure you get one that comes in a cover as some I looked at didn't and reviews mentioned problems getting them into the cover. Watch the measurements too as some of the cheaper ones come up smaller than the mattress and are quite thin.
    You can also now buy mattresses that come with a built in topper.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I have a feather topper, I did struggle to turn over on the memory foam it sorts of gripped me :lol: the only thing with the feather on is it has to be shaken after sleeping on it so that can be hard has they are heavy..good luck with finding one
    Love
    Barbara