new to arthritis, help

Options
ron1723
ron1723 Member Posts: 13
edited 30. Sep 2014, 06:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the spine 3 months ago. Have been trying to work since then but have been off work most of that time. Doctor now says I should get used to the fact I won't be returning to my present job as a cleaner/van driver. Have also been told I have arthritis in hip and knees and am waiting for mri scan appointment to investigate further. Have been advised to apply for P.I.P. as only getting statutory sick pay from work. Feeling a bit low as don't know what future holds.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry that you have had to find us. It is unsettling getting a diagnosis of arthritis because it throws so much into doubt but, let's face it, no-one knows what the future holds do they? We like to think we exercise some control over matters but we don't. . . . .

I have two kinds of arthritis and had to stop work some time ago (I was self-employed and flogged on for seventeen years before deciding enough was enough) but I am fortunate in that my husband has a good job and can afford to support us. If you have familial responsibilities then of course the world has become an uncertain place but maybe the first step is to have a word with your employer to see if other, less strenuous duties can be assigned to you. Pain relief and anti-inflammatory tablets may help to make life more physically comfortable but the spine is a very tricky area to deal with. :( I have OA in both ankles, both knees and both hips so my mobility is now somewhat compromised - thank heavens for crutches and other aids!

I don't know what else to say (I am tired today) but I wish you well and please let us know the results of the MRI and what your doctors have to say. I guess you are under the care of your GP? Mine deals with my OA and my rheumatologist with my auto-immune - they each ignore the other. :lol: Good luck and keep in touch. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Ron
    Welcome to the forum
    It is an unsettling thing when you get the first diagnosis.
    Some people go into denial......others think "I've got arthritis there is nothing more I can do so I'll just sit in a corner" Others eventually learn how to cope with it.
    As DD says none of us knows what the future holds whether we have arthritis or not.
    I've got OA in my ankle, both hips and have had 2 hip replacements but that's another story LOL
    and its also in my lower spine.
    I find lots of things difficult to do because of the spinal problems but I have scoliosis as well which doesn't help.
    I cant imagine by back letting me have a job as a cleaner but driving......I don't find that bad......start thinking {even if it is only that at the moment } what else you could door would like to do......it'll keep you occupied thinking about another job but I'm not suggesting you do anything until you get full information.
    Let us know about your MRI and how it goes.
    I can imagine you will be feeling low
    We've all been there.....come on and chat or have a moan on here.....between us all we have loads of different kinds of arthritis but the common denominator is PAIN
    So we under stand
    Keep in touch
    Love
    Hileena
  • ron1723
    Options
    Hi Hileena, thanks for your welcome. I'm sure I will be doing a bit of moaning [ask the wife ha]. Seriously though my main concern is providing for my family, I am 55 and we have my daughter and 2 grand daughters living at home. Will be looking for another job a.s.a.p.
    Sorry to hear of your problems, be back for a moan again soon.
    Ron
  • ron1723
    Options
    Hi DD, nice of you to welcome me. My employer isn't able to offer me another position and will eventually end my employment with them, not very sympathetic with people who are off sick, sometimes intimidating. Anyway that's another story. Doctor has given me 4 different tabs to take, they help for a while but not completely pain free. One I'm worried about is Amitriptyline, anti depressant/slow release painkiller.
    Anyway thanks for your post, will try and be positive.
    Chat again soon.
    Ron
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Ron, welcome to the forum, as you have been reading we all have different types of Arthritis and we help,advise & support each other the best we can.
  • ron1723
    Options
    Hi Bubbadog, thanks. I'm sure I'll find plenty of help here, just reading some of the posts has helped.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me too, Ron.

There are several people on here who take amitriptylene. From what they write, I think the trick is to take it a couple of hours before bedtime. If you put a new thread up about it I'm sure you'll get replies.

May I suggest you don't aim for painfree? Find a level you can handle and stick with it.

I'm not entirely sure your boss's attitude is legal. Why not ask Citizens Advice Bureau for advice?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ron1723
    Options
    Hi Sticywicket, thanks for you welcome. Thanks for your advice, will act on it.
    It's good to know people who are here able to understand and help. Think the best way forward is to be positive.
    Ron.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Ron and welcome to the forum
    Only sorry you had to look for us in the first place :roll: I really do feel for you, I was retired when |I started with Arthritis so for that I am grateful..by talking to us lot you will see there is such a difference in everyone..I do wish you well for the future..and hope you can find a job that is suitable...supporting that back and keeping it moving is very important..have you been referred to physio they might be able to help..and a pain clinic could also help..good luck..
    Love
    Barbara
  • ron1723
    Options
    Hi Barbara, thanks for your welcome. I'm doing exercises as much as possible. Have seen a physio but wasn't very helpful, he said everyone has arthritis and it was up to me to loosen up, gave me exercises to do which I was already doing for months. He then pressed his knuckle into my spine, pressed on my back muscles 2 or 3 times and said see you in 2 weeks. Went back, same thing again, he said he couldn't feel anything wrong, so I asked him why had I been signed off work and he just shrugged his shoulders. Then asked him if he'd seen my x-rays, he said no. Haven't been back since.
    Anyway will wait for M.R.I. and decide on next steps with my doctor.
    Had my little moan now, sorry to go on a bit.
    Hope to chat again, Ron.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    That was only a mini-moan, Ron :lol: You must do better next time :wink:

Exercising will help but usually all a physio will do is give us the necessary exercises then check that we're doing them correctly. It doesn't sound as if yours exactly had a bedside manner :roll: but, over the years, I've found that the kind medics aren't necessarily the good ones and vice versa. If your physio hadn't been given your X-rays it's not really his fault that he hadn't seen them.

I hope the MRI will show something that can be addressed. Meanwhile, like the rest of us, keep plugging away :D
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, we're a few days on now so how's things? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ron1723
    Options
    Hi DD, I'm feeling ok but a little unsure of what to expect regarding PIP, just received the forms. Will get help to fill them in, have spoken to work and welfare, making an appointment today. Meds are making me feel tired, sleeping for about 10-12 hours. Work haven't been in touch not even to pick up the van which is unusual.
    My wife works as an O.T. Assistant Practitioner and has referred me to an O.T. I now have a raised chair, perching stool and raised loo seat all to myself, I can see the house getting cluttered.
    Went to the local shop on Monday, it's about 300 mtrs. away. Only got about half way and couldn't make it, luckily my granddaughter was with me and she got my wife to help me back. Why did I feel embarrassed about that? Anyway enough moaning, I'm trying to think of some sort of course I could do from home to widen my options, free would be preferable, anyone have any suggestions on where to look?
    Thanks for letting me ramble.
    Ron.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Ask CAB to help with the forms, Ron. They're good.

As for the sleepiness - that's what the strong paindullers do, I'm afraid. We tread a tricky path.

I'm glad you've got OT help. That will make a difference.

As for having to turn back and ask for help - arthritis provides us with many embarassing situations. You have nothing to be ashamed of. You are relatively new to all this. You will grow your protective carapace in time :roll:

Well done you for planning a course. Have you any idea what sort? Academic? Technical? Practical? You could start here http://www.bbc.co.uk/learning/onlinecourses/
    Steven Wright
  • ron1723
    Options
    Hi Stickywicket, thanks for your last post. Have decided to improve my computer skills, and brush up on maths and English. May take me into retirement lol. Onward and upward.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Wow! Well done you, Ron! Three extremely valuable skills. Please let us know how you get on. I love your positive attitude.
    Steven Wright