I think exercise caused arthritis

Options
cool09
cool09 Member Posts: 2
edited 24. Sep 2014, 17:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm 50 and began swimming every day (moderate, 1/2 a day) five yrs ago and I developed inflammation of an elbow bone (which I haven't been able to get rid of) and over last six mths developed pain on inside of my knees. Today, Dr. told me he thinks I have arthritis in the knees. (I think it feels more like miniscus tear like I had in 2004.) Can exercise increase risk of arthritis? (ie. Wear and tear on joints?) I have history of arthritis in the family.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello cool09 and welcome to the forum. I think over-exercising can exacerbate arthritis but I've never heard of it being a cause. Indeed it's vital for us to exercise regularly though it has to be the right kind of exercise.If you check out the Publications and Resources button at the top you'll find something on exercise there.

If yours is OA, I think there is some research indicating that there might be a genetic element. With auto -immune forms there definitely is.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    In my humble opinions I do not believe exercise causes arthritis. People that exercise get it and others do not. Some builders are cripped with arthritis, others get no symptoms. We should move around and exercise, it is good for our all round health.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • krisbe
    krisbe Member Posts: 95
    Options
    Swimming wont cause arthritis, I was told that was the only safe exercise to do which wont make arthritis worse. Pounding exercises like running on treadmill will make it worse. Exercise is very important to keep you moving.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I've re-read your post. I'm sure exercise hasn't caused arthritis but that doesn't mean to say it didn't arrive unbidden anyway. Why not ask for x-rays? (But carry on swimming, gently.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, the one thought that struck me is your age - with age comes a certain amount of physical deterioration, even those who are physically fit find an increase in aches and pains as the body begins to lose its strength and elasticity. I chuckle over my peers (I am 55) who are now discovering, albeit on a small scale, a taste of the misery that is my everyday life and has been since I was 37. They don't know how lucky they have been and why would they? Good health is taken for granted by those who have it.

Long-term hard-impact exercise such as marathon running may contribute to the onset of osteoarthritis but swimming certainly won't. It is a fantastic way to exercise the whole body and it is something I hope you will continue. You say there is a history of 'arthritis' in your family - what kind? There are around 200 kinds of auto-immune and osteo. I have a creaky foot in both camps and it ain't fun. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    snap cool 09.

I was proud of being active and fit yet developed painful elbows, which got worse and worse over the next 8 years. When had my 2nd Son I couldn't wait to start exercising again but I jumped on a trampoline and got terrible pain behind my knees and my legs felt like jelly.

I'm not sure if it was the injury after a break that started things off for me but it can kick something off. I'm not saying it is definite but it did happen in my case. It is always good to check it out as you have done.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Cool
    I have never heard of exercise causing arthritis.
    It could make it worse if you already have it and maybe over-do it a bit
    That's just my opinion

Love
    Hileena