New hip pain - fed up!!

Kitty
Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
edited 25. Sep 2014, 02:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Got an appointment with rheumy nurse on Monday morning. Worrying about an awful pain in my right hip, thigh and knee. Definitely bone pain and not nerve pain. Every step feels as though someone is tightening a screw in my hip joint - and I've hardly had any problems with hips before. Don't think it's Rheumatoid, thinking more osteopenia worsening or maybe osteo arthritis. Any thoughts??? :|

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I remember having terrible pain in my hip and when rheummy checked my x rays she said it needed replacing. It seemed to deteriorate quickly so yours could be RA.

good luck Kath and let us know how you get on.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I don't know how long you've had RA or how long you had it before DMARDS but my OA came as a result of my RA because DMARDS weren't on offer in my early years of it.

I'd doubt its osteopoenia as you don't feel that.

Your rheumatology nurse might be able to wangle you an x-ray.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Kitty
    Thanks Elizabeth and Sticky,

I was diagnosed in 1987 and spent 13 years on Diclofenac with Sulfasalazine. Started MTX with Leflunomide after that, with 6 months on Pred in between. I don't relish the idea of a replacement, but if that's what they suggest then I suppose I will have to consider it if I want to get back to being relatively pain free - if there is such a thing. :roll:

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Kath
    My hip pain started in my knee.. referred pain, so it dose sound like yours could be the hip...maybe its inflammation and not damage..I will have everything crossed for you on Monday hope it goes well ..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    If you've been on DMARDS from the start, the RA is less likely to have damaged joints but, unfortunately, having RA is no guarantee we won't get other stuff too :roll: At least if it should come to a THR it's an op with a very high success rate. Mine are great :D
    Steven Wright
  • Kitty
    Feel a bit of a charlie now. Rheumy nurse said it's definitely Sciatica. :oops: It's the worst Sciatica I've ever had, but I'm still relieved about it. :roll:

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I'm glad it's not the hip which is giving you pain - but sciatica can be really awful. I had pain like what you describe, and thought the problem was my hip. I couldn't lie on that side at all, to sleep, and sitting was uncomfortable too. It turned out to be trochanteric bursitis, and was finally sorted via a guided ultrasound injection. I hope it eases for you soon.
  • stickywicket
    Hey, come on Charlie :wink: We all make mistakes at times and this was a very reasonable assumption to make. I guess it proves we should all leave diagnostics to those who have a medical degree :oops: One of my husband's golfing mates has been unable to play for about a year now due to sciatica. He is not a happy bunny. I hope yours is quicker to depart. Good luck :)
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    There is a tendency for us to blame any new ache or pain on arthritis when it may - the cheek of it - be something totally different. My late Ma had very nasty sciatica for around a year, hydrotherapy helped. I hope it begins to ease soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben