Just a pie in the sky idea?

Pippa
Pippa Member Posts: 23
edited 23. Sep 2014, 15:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well the weather's on the turn and I'm thinking damp, dark and dismal for the coming months. :(

So I thought why not live somewhere like Spain or Greece? The warmer climes have gotta be good for arthritic joints! 8)

Then I thought, but how would I get my drugs? Humira, methotrexate etc.

So I'm asking you guys if you know if this is a possibility? Can I get access to my nhs anti tnfs etc if I spend a few months abroad?

Or say I go the whole hog and move abroad permanently? :lol: Would my rheumatology dept say "Adios" as they rip up my prescriptions?
Or is there a reciprocal thingy ?
Maybe you know someone that's living my dream ?

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Pippa think I will join you, we have a few friends that live in warmer climates and a couple suffer form arthritis, and they tell me the different in there joints is remarkable..It will be interesting to see what others have to say about the meds ...I might just phone one of my friends and ask ...will get back to you..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    This is a big decision even without the arthritis factor so please do 'try before you buy' ie take a longish (a month?) holiday in the place of your choice so that you can see how your joints react. Living somewhere is totally different to just being there briefly for a week or two. I've no idea what happens re meds but I would be surprised if another country would just pick up the bill.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Sticky has made a very sensible suggestion - always better to take a longish let before taking the plunge. Countries such as Greece and Cyprus don't see many cases of RA, therefore won't have a high level of experience with the various drugs. I believe treatment is expensive in Spain, but you'd need to do some 'homework' before you go.

Personally, I wouldn't mind spending the winter in Portugal if hubby ever wins the lottery!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I'm not sure why you've asked us about the technical of healthcare abroad, my first port-of-call on this would be my local health authority. You might leave the NHS behind but you'll take the arthritis with you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • JamesFoote
    JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
    My brother moved to Spain a number of years ago and I would never want to move abroad.

It may help the arthritis but there are many other problems in moving, from insurance to death duty the list is endless.

Good for a nice holiday though

James
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    My Aunts is considering moving out to Turkey for affairs of the heart! So she has moved out to Turkey for 6 months to see if she likes it. She will come back home after and decide what she wants to do. I think doing something similar might be a better idea than just upping sticks and going for it. But at the end of the day it's up to you.
  • Pippa
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I'm not sure why you've asked us about the technical of healthcare abroad, my first port-of-call on this would be my local health authority. You might leave the NHS behind but you'll take the arthritis with you. DD

I posed a question for the group. I didn't think it was particularly technical.

But thanks anyway.
  • Pippa
    Thank you for replies! I agree a good idea to live somewhere first. I don't think I could live abroad. That ship probably sailed when I was diagnosed. Hey ho.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Have you thought of asking your PCT, Pippa? I guess only someone living abroad, or who has lived abroad, is likely to be able to answer. I know we had someone on a few months back who wanted to take a 6(?) month's supply of her injected DMARD to, I believe, Africa. The thing is, it's not just the meds, it's the blood tests etc too. I know you're talking about the EU which might be different. But, to answer your question seriously but honestly – I'd say yes, it is.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I knew a lady with RA who lived in France, and their health system is excellent, but she had to pay into a scheme so that she could afford treatment. She had no problem getting her meds through this scheme, and X-rays/blood tests etc. were always done very promptly. Eventually she moved back to England because the cost of living in France climbed too much for her.

My rheumy said that if you had to have RA somewhere in Europe, France would be the best, as they have the same drugs and are very familiar with the disease and its treatment.

Someone from my rheumy clinic, on the other hand, had a bad flare while on holiday in Cyprus, and the medics she saw had never come across RA before. As someone said, it`s just not common in some Mediterranean countries.