Just diagnosed and facing wrist fusion

pollyg
pollyg Member Posts: 10
edited 10. Oct 2014, 09:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Wonder if anyone can help me, I started with pain in my wrist around 3 months ago, this has developed very quickly and I am now unable to move my wrist backwards and I am in constant pain. I've got medical insurance so was seen very quickly and was surprised to learn I have significant osteoarthritis in my right wrist. I am only 36 and have lost 2/3rd of the joint already, my x-ray doesn't even look like a wrist, fortunately the forearm joint is unaffected.

I can't believe how quickly it has got so painful, to the point where I am struggling to do a lot of daily tasks, including my work, I dread coming in every morning as I know I am going to be in a lot of pain very quickly. I am on 500mg of naproxen twice a day and taking 8 paracetamols and the pain is still relentless. I've had a number of blood tests and all have been normal.

My consultant has spoken about injections but has also mentioned wrist fusion, as he has said things will not improve, looks like if I don't have it now I will be having it at some point in my life. Has anyone had a fusion? If so what limitations do you have, it's not looking like a total fusion. Are the limitations worth it for no pain? With how it has progressed so quickly I am in fear of it getting worse and having to live the rest of my life in pain.

Any help at all would be appreciated, I am back on 4th October to discuss MRI scan which was done on Saturday and treatment options.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello pollyg and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry your arthritis has developed so quickly. I guess you're still in shock from the diagnosis. I think the blood tests will have been to rule out an auto-immune form of arthritis and that yours is definitely osteo (OA). I have that, too, but mine was caused by my auto-immune arthritis which I've had for over 50 years.

I think I'm right in saying that you're unliely to have lost any bone. It's the cartilege between the bones that is eroded with OA. My own wrists, and ankles, fused themselves years ago and the bone is still there, just fused together. I got lucky in that, thanks to judicious use of wrist splints, my wrists have fused at a good (straight) angle.

Paracetamol is not a particularly strong painduller. There are other things your GP could prescribe though it's a matter of getting the balance between dulling the pain and not being drowsy. Steroid injections help some a lot and others hardly at all. It's a lottery. You don't know until you try. I'm one of the lucky ones they help a lot.

If you click on here http://tinyurl.com/m5cml8w you'll find some former threads on wrist fusions which might help you to make your decision.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • pollyg
    Hi stickywicket

Thanks for coming back to me, there is some bone damage, MRI will show more but there is very little cartilage left, bones on x-Ray looked fused but consultant says they haven't. So I basica have bone rubbing against bone.

Ideally don't want to go down stronger pain killers route but can't carry on as I am. How are your daily activities effected by your joints being fused? Do they know what caused your arthritis?

Thanks again
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh crikey, no wonder you are feeling somewhat bemused and confused, that is a great deal to suddenly discover. I cannot help at all because I don't have any fused bones (just eighteen years of living with arthritis) but I can understand the shock, my diagnosis of OA was a great surprise even though I already had an auto-immune arthritis.

I agree with Sticky that paracetamol is not strong enough but even stronger dullers won't take all the pain away - pain 'killer' is a total misnomer in the world of arthritis because the pain is not killed, just subdued. I have to resume dinner preparations now but hope to be back later. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • pollyg
    Sorry Stickywicket just seen what your cause was! Thanks for your reply too DD. Shock, confusion, anger and total dismay are just a few of the emotions of the last 2 weeks, all seems to have happened so quickly. Got to say the naproxen have been a god send, dose has been doubled but still not enough to get me through the day. Feel like chopping the blumming thing off!

Will have a good look at other forums when I've got my PC, think my main concerns are will I still be able to do my job if I need the fusion, I'm a financial adviser so write a lot, need to be able to drive and use a mouse and keyboard most of the day.
  • stickywicket
    It will take some time to get used to all this. Please be patient with yourself. Patience is something we all have to learn with arthritis and, for some of us :oops: , it doesn't come easy.

If you have the fusion you'll still have to take time off to recover. If you try to rush this you'll only sabotage the surgeon's efforts.

Try not to worry what others might be thinking. A joke about the time and effort things take can often lighten the mood.
    Steven Wright
  • pollyg
    Been to my GP who has prescribed Tramadol I still feel the pain but I don't care any more, might cause havoc with my social life but guess we will save money on taxis, if I'm not drinking. GP also mentioned wrist replacement so going to mention that when I see my consultant next Saturday. Feeling a bit more positive.

Thanks for your support
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hello pollyg and welcome to the forum
    I am sorry you are suffering with your wrist, not sure if you have tried the injections I had them in my thumbs under xray and they worked a treat..I think most of us have gone through the shock and why have I got this..but has time goes on our brains seem to help us accept it..I do hope you can some info on the fusing then it will help you makeup your mind..wishing you well with everything
    Love
    Barbara
  • pollyg
    Hi Barbara

I was only diagnosed 2 weeks ago, had no treatment as yet but GP thinks injections will only relieve my pain short term and seems to think I'm delaying the invetiable which will be surgery of some sort. It's pretty messed up but thankfully isolated to just my right wrist. So guess I'm lucky really.
  • stickywicket
    I've just realised when I'm nattering about you. It's because everything has happened so quickly for you, including the offer of surgery, which many people have to wait literally years for. I'm concerned that, by being whizzed through the stages, you might actually be expecting more of surgery than it will offer. I think us old hands don't expect too much of surgery and consider 'pain-free' or 'much-less-pain-and-a-little-more-movement' to be a roaring success. You may be aiming for more than that. I'd take time to think carefully about what you're hoping for from surgery then discuss it withh you GP and / or surgeon. This might be of use http://tinyurl.com/ksuphx2
    Steven Wright
  • pollyg
    Hi Sticky

I'm pretty sure the only reason everything is happening so quickly is due to the fact I've got private medical cover, if I was NHS I probably wouldn't have got a diagnosis yet! I'm back next Saturday for MRI results and to discuss all my options at that point; I've got a list of questions for the consultant and I plan to keep a diary this week of everything that happens. My arm has been very itchy today, is that normal, pain is so much better now I'm on strong painkillers but I know I can't take tramadol for the rest of my life.

Will have a look at the link now, thanks for all your help again :-)
  • stickywicket
    My stomach dislikes tramadol so I've only had it rarely but it could be that your itchiness is connected. Or it might have nothing to do with anything :roll: Welcome to the wonderful world of arthritis :)
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The tramadol could be the culprit for the itchy skin - it's strong stuff and I echo Sticky's wise words about expecting too much as a result of surgery. I had an operation on my left knee (this was before I knew what was wrong with me) and the disappointment when all the old trouble resumed within six months of surgery was crushing. Surgery doesn't necessarily spell an end to our travails. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • pollyg
    Had a much better weekend, I've been away with the fairies though, still feeling the pain but I'm coping with it much better thanks to the tramadol. Made the mistake of having a drink with my lunch yesterday, my hubby went on auto-pilot and just bought me it, I thought one wouldn't hurt and then spent 3 hours sparked out in bed! Now if I can't have a drink again I would rather chop my own hand off, I can see from previous posts you might be with me on this one Sticky!!! :lol:

Back to consultant on Saturday morning, MRI results and plan of action, fingers crossed it's good news.
  • stickywicket
    Oh yes :D Those of us on methotrexate have to exercise caution, keep up with our regular blood tests to ensure the liver is still behaving and still drink far less than we would like but I seem to have been blessed with a good liver (Thanks, Mum and Dad :lol: ) so I can savour modest amounts of Chenin Blanc which makes life much more pleasant. Strong pain relief plus alcohol, as you've discovered, are not a happy combo for a convivial evening though :wink:

What will be a good MRI result?
    Steven Wright
  • pollyg
    He said if I am lucky he maybe able to release some of the nerves in my wrist, which could help the pain, or even better we are really sorry but we go the x-rays mixed up and you don't really have the wrist of someone 3 times your age :D

My liver function has always been excellent, I have a pituitary tumour so have a battery of tests every few years, so might risk the odd one, at least I will be a cheap night out!
  • stickywicket
    Always, as Eric Idle sang, look on the bright side of life :wink::lol:
    Steven Wright
  • pollyg
    Thought I'd give you an update after Saturday, it's actually worse than my consultant thought, I will need a full wrist fusion at some point but wants to try everything possible to ease my pain before putting me through the surgery due to the amount of movement I will lose. I had a steroid injection on Saturday and have to wear a splint for the next 2 weeks, then I'm back to see him to see how it has worked, was much better yesterday but I'm in quite a bit of pain again today, although he did say it would be up to a week before it fully worked. He also mentioned some surgery on my nerve does anyone know what this is?
  • Kazziwaz
    Kazziwaz Member Posts: 32
    Hi, I know I'm let to the party on this one.
    I had a wrist fusion some 10 years ago. For me, it was the best thing. I can manage perfectly well and it hasn't stopped me doing anything. I have very little to no pain in the wrist. People very rarely notice the fusion but do notice the scar. If I had my time back I would definitely have it done.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions :D