Help needed with Zopiclone

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 3. Oct 2014, 03:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Having been taking Zopiclone 3.75 for two months due to not being able to sleep because of pain here there and everywhere. Pain not so bad now, but now cannot sleep without taking a pill and I now need to stop taking them. The doctor wasn't very helpful and just gave me another prescription and told me to take one every other night.

I can remember Zopiclone being mentioned on this forum before, so any ideas from other forum members on how to come off these tablets would be very much appreciated, thank you.

On a brighter note, our darling son has just become engaged to be married. No date for a wedding just yet, but that won't stop me looking at a few new outfits. :lol:

Janet

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've never done any sleeping tabs but I believe that the body can actually 'forget' how to fall asleep naturally so it's a good plan to get off them.

If you put 'zopiclone' into the little blue search engine near the top of the page (NOT the red box above it) quite a few former posts come up.

According to NHS Choices 'Zopiclone should only be used at the lowest possible dose and for a maximum of up to four weeks. This will reduce the chance of tolerance, dependence and withdrawal symptoms. Reducing the dose of Zopiclone gradually over time may reduce the chances of having these problems.'

http://tinyurl.com/o24vpp9

I think you're doing right to get off them slowly and I wish you all the best.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Jane
    Sorry I cant help with the zopiclone..but I take amitryptaline at night and this helps but like you if I miss I feel very uneasy and cant sleep..so I am coming down slowly off them...how lovely that you son is engaged ..the wedding will be something to look forward to :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Hello stickywicket and Barbara

Thank you so much for your quick replies. I searched as you suggested sticky and I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one addicted to this drug. I've got another appointment with my gp next Thursday and I'm going to ask for a proper withdrawal programme.

Janet
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi Janet,

Back when I was suffering from severe depression, I ended up on zopiclone for 2 years because I couldn't come off it. I was on the max daily dose. I had to be very determined when I came off it and did everything by the 'sleep hygiene' book. I'm not sure how much you know about sleep hygiene but do have a google and see what you can find.

This isn't a foolproof method but it helped me. Wean off it very, very slowly. Rushing means you'll take 1 step forward and 1 step back. Split the tablet in half (you can get pill cutters online) when you're weaning off as it helps. Maybe write down a schedule and so you can see the progress you are making.

I can give you some more tips that helped me but I don't want to bombard you. I'm sorry your GP wasn't very helpful. Having worked in mental health, I can't say I am very surprised.

Best of luck!
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Hello Starburst

Thank you for your kind reply. I know about sleep hygiene, ie comfortable bed and pillows, not too hot or too cold, dark room, no caffiene, no screens, read for a while, etc. But I've always been one of those people who find it hard to just flop and relax. My husband can fall asleep as soon as he sits in the chair, even in mid conversation or with a cup of tea in his hand.

I've read the piece on withdrawal effects on the leaflet and I've also looked at some postings on a zopiclone web site. I'm determined to come off them, but also rather frightened at the same time.

So any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks Starburst.

Janet