OA advice

Options
Kazzab123
Kazzab123 Member Posts: 26
edited 2. Oct 2014, 09:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was diagnosed by xray with osteoarthritis in my right hip 3 years ago at that time my left hip was xrayed but it came back ok. I’ve also got joint issues, suspected arthritis in my hands, back, shoulder, knees. I was referred to a rheumatologist at the beginning of the year who did an ultrasound scan on my hands and told me it wasn’t RA and as a result discharged me. My left hip, both knees and left ankle have been really painful this last month or so and the joint in my left hip doesn’t feel right, I know what arthritis feels like and in my opinion it’s spread to these joints. I went to the doctors last night who wasn’t at all interested in these joints, she just said that of course they will trouble me because I’m walking differently due to my right hip. Her attitude really upset me, I feel as though because I’m 42 I keep getting the attitude you’re too young to have OA plus I’m not sure if I have a family history or not because I’ve only got a small family and both sets of grandparents died without me knowing them. Anyway I’m being sent for another xray for my right hip, why my left one isn’t being done I don’t know and I’ve been referred to the muscularskeletal department. I can get lots of information on the web about Rheumatology but not much about muscularskeletal. Has anyone been referred to this and if so any information/experience they can share, I don’t really know what they do. I want all my joints to be investigated but I’m concerned that because my right hip is being taken seriously they may only investigate this.

I’m really fed up and would love to hear from you.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm sure you are fed up kazzab123. Arthritis does that to all of us at times. The unrelenting nature of it wears us down.

So, you've seen a rheumatologist who scanned your hands and said it's not RA. That means it's OA. You're not too young to have it (if only :roll: ) and the musculo-skeletal people are a very good idea. I's guess your GP is not so much dismissive as despairing. There is not a lot anyone – even the docs – can do for OA other than prescribe pain relief and physio and advise on diet for anyone who is overweight.

If you put 'osteoarthritis' into the red search box near the top right of the page lots of info comes up. Other people's threads are on the right but some really informative stuff from Arthritis Care is on the left. I think if you read some of it you'll feel less muddled.

In my experience, once you know you have OA they are unlikely to x-ray every joint in which it occurs. The only x-rays I get is when they are wondering about replacement joints. We know it crops up in different joints but, short of exercising them to keep the supporting muscles strong, there's not much can be done. I think you'll find the musculo-skeletal clinic helpful. I hope so.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Kazzab123
    My story is similar to yours but I am much at 64, my first appointment over 4 years ago now was to a muscularskeletal..he had all my xrays done and check them while I waited and offered an injection in my knee..they are sort of familiar with all the joints and muscles..he was the one that sent me to see a surgeon about my hip,had one replaced...but like you OA has spread so quickly.. so I got concerned and lately had ultrasound of my hands and MRIs of mt back..only to be told there are no sighs of inflammation..but she didnt discharge me because she said that it doesn't always show up, rare but true..so you make a list of all your worry's and pain to take to the muscularskeletal..hopefully if you get a good one they might help you get some answers..good luck and please ley us know how you get on
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have OA in both ankles, both knees and both hips thanks to the joint damage caused in my knees by my other auto-immune arthritis: the OA is also spreading to my neck, shoulders and wrists because that is what it does. People in their late teens and twenties can have OA (your GP needs to keep up with the times, the thinking about it is now tending towards an inherited aspect similar to the auto-immune kinds) ) but Sticky is right, there isn't much GPs can offer apart from pain relief and maybe an anti-inflammatory med. I think this frustrates them as well as us.

Arthritis is unrelenting, once it's moved in it will not move out and we are its very reluctant hosts. Over time I am sure you have begun to develop some personal coping strategies but a very useful one is not being afraid to question the decisions which the docs make about what is going to be tested and how. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben