Vitamin D

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
edited 20. Oct 2014, 06:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
This topic comes up regularly but I think it's worth pointing out again that, according to the NHS, everyone aged 65 and over should take a daily supplement of 10 micrograms (0.01mg) of Vit D.

I'm writing this because today I met a friend who began feeling ill, got very bad stomach cramps and finally had an epileptic fit. Several days in hospital, and several tests revealed that all was caused by a Vit D deficiency. Because of the fit he's had to surrender his driving licence and he's currently irritating his partner no end by telling her how to drive when she's taxiing him about :roll:

Please remember to take only 10 micrograms (0.01mg) whatever the manufacturers might recommend. Their job is to make money. The NHS's job is to keep us healthy. It's possible to overdose on Vit D as with anything else.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Vitamin-D.aspx

(The NHS simply states that everyone over 65 should take a Vit D supplement. It makes no exceptions but I always feel it's a good idea to check with the pharmacist that any supplement is compatible with current meds.)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thank you for the reminder: I admit that I have been forgetting to take mine since we returned from our holiday (I didn't take them with me :oops: ) so I shall go and take some now. And I will do so again tomorrow. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Oooh, something for which I`m still too young!! I`ll have to start taking it in two years time!

Thank you for pointing it out - I had no idea about the recommendation.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Thank you Sticky
    we are on them as well.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Sticky
    When I went to the GP and asked for a Vit D test she looked at me as if I was from out space ...then her attitude was OK if it keeps you happy {she didn't say that} :lol:
    So when it came back low I was put on natecal D3
    Which is a mixture of Calcium and Vit D
    On the tub it says {after the calcium bit} 400IU of cholecalciferol it {Vit D3} equivalent to 0.01 mg.
    Translate please.....it sounds a bit like the dose you are saying
    Love
    Hileena
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Thank you for this, Sticky. I am going to find out my Vitamin D level in a few weeks, after discovering that I was severely deficient back in June and being put onto a high dose of Colecalciferol for two weeks. This will now be the three month blood test. Depending on what my level is now, I intend to ask the consultant about a maintenance dose, so your post is extremely useful.

Meg
  • Roadback
    Roadback Bots Posts: 35
    Options
    This article says that the vitamin d dose is under discussion in the NHS - as there is some evidence that 800iu and even higher doses may be beneficial.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/06June/Pages/health-claims-about-vitamin-D-examined.aspx

It says a report is due in 2014 to confirm the new research and safe doses.

I take 2200iu every other day in the winter - but ensure I get out to get in the sun otherwise.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Thank you for the reminder. I haven't taken my vit D for over a year. :o The chalky tablets make me feel sick and I vomit often enough due to my stomach condition. My GP won't prescribe the tablet version because it's too expensive. :roll: I need to try again with the chewy tablets though.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Sophie, were they VitD with calcium that you were taking? I ask for two reasons. Firstly some people experience nausea and GI problems as a side effect of calcium supplements, and secondly do you actually need extra calcium? I was prescribed Adcal due to osteoporosis, but was pretty certain my diet was providing enough calcium,so declined, and the VitD was way cheaper OTC(especially with a 3 for 2 offer from Jesse B!), and a tiny tablet instead of a horse pill.With the GP's help I worked out the correct dose(I insisted on a blood test which showed I was almost in the deficiency band) and sorted out a summer/winter regime.A retest of blood levels confirmed it was working, and the improved levels mean that I'm making better use of dietary calcium as well.
    The Imperial Centre for Endocrinology has useful info on VitD guidelines for anyone interested, and the National Osteoporosis Society forum has much discussion on VitD/calcium as one might expect.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Roadback wrote:
    This article says that the vitamin d dose is under discussion in the NHS - as there is some evidence that 800iu and even higher doses may be beneficial.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/06June/Pages/health-claims-about-vitamin-D-examined.aspx

It says a report is due in 2014 to confirm the new research and safe doses.

I take 2200iu every other day in the winter - but ensure I get out to get in the sun otherwise.

Is that the right URL, Roadback? I can't find anything there that says the dose is under discussion.

I understand it's hard to overdose on Vit D except by overdoing the supplements and, as I think my diet is probably quite good on natural Vit D, I'm not going to risk that.

Mine, like the others, come combined with calcium (Yes, that's the same dose, Hileena) but as I have osteoporosis, I'm happy to stick with that. I don't see them as 'horse pills' as one simply chews them. To me, a horse pill is one virtually the same size that, like the Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly, we're supposed to open our throat and swallow :shock:
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi SW
    I totally agree with you......having osteoporosis myself I'm quite happy to take the meds [mixture] I find them reasonably pleasant to take......suck them and that's it. If I had to swallow it....I might have a problem :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • Roadback
    Roadback Bots Posts: 35
    Options
    Hi Sticky

It says it near the bottom -

The optimal daily dosage is a matter of continuing debate.

Some have that adults can safely take 20 micrograms (800 IU). Some have even suggested that 50 micrograms (2,000 IU) would be an optimal dose. Current UK guidelines recommend that adults take no more than 25 micrograms per day.

In the UK, a government committee is currently considering the evidence to see if the UK guidelines need to be amended. A report is expected in 2014.

If you are considering taking vitamin D supplements on a long-term basis, first check with your GP or the doctor in charge of your care that it is safe to do so.
  • Teapot
    Teapot Member Posts: 271
    Options
    Thanks everyone for such interesting information. I felt very ill at the end of last year and after a blood test my GP said my Vit D was "on the floor" . I was given a high dose for 3 months and it helped. The dose was heavily reduced after the 3 months by my Rheumy Consultant and I am due to have it tested in 6 weeks time to see if the lower dose is OK. My GP and Consultant do not seem to agree on the doseage so I will wait and see after my test. The one I am on is 10,000 IU or 250 mcg and I am taking 2 a week at the moment. Thanks again
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Is there a definitive treatment for Vitamin D deficiency? I see, Valde, that your treatment has been very different from mine - my levels were 22.2nmol/l. I asked about a maintenance dose, but was told by my gastroenterologist I didn't need anything between the two week high dose of Vitamin D and the three month blood test. Just wondered. :)
  • Teapot
    Teapot Member Posts: 271
    Options
    I really don't know Megrose. I can only say what my GP told me, he said he always gave a high dose for 3 months (1 a day) when Vit D was as low as mine. I did not go back to him at the end of the 3 months because I was feeling so much better. My Rheumy Consultant told me to take just 2 a week until blood test and then he would review it. I must admit I did not know lack of Vit D could cause me so much problems as they did last year. I am feeling lot better now so they must be doing something. I have RA and take Methotrexate on Mondays, Hydroxy 2 a day and Folic Acid once a week and Cod Liver Oil each day which Consultant said was OK. I agree with the other members on here not to take anything unless Consultant gives the OK. Sorry I can't be of more help.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Roadback wrote:
    Hi Sticky

It says it near the bottom -

The optimal daily dosage is a matter of continuing debate.

Some have that adults can safely take 20 micrograms (800 IU). Some have even suggested that 50 micrograms (2,000 IU) would be an optimal dose. Current UK guidelines recommend that adults take no more than 25 micrograms per day.

In the UK, a government committee is currently considering the evidence to see if the UK guidelines need to be amended. A report is expected in 2014.

If you are considering taking vitamin D supplements on a long-term basis, first check with your GP or the doctor in charge of your care that it is safe to do so.

Thank you Roadback. I found it at the second attempt. Senior moment :oops: Thanks for your patience.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    daffy2 wrote:
    Sophie, were they VitD with calcium that you were taking? I ask for two reasons. Firstly some people experience nausea and GI problems as a side effect of calcium supplements, and secondly do you actually need extra calcium? I was prescribed Adcal due to osteoporosis, but was pretty certain my diet was providing enough calcium,so declined, and the VitD was way cheaper OTC(especially with a 3 for 2 offer from Jesse B!), and a tiny tablet instead of a horse pill.With the GP's help I worked out the correct dose(I insisted on a blood test which showed I was almost in the deficiency band) and sorted out a summer/winter regime.A retest of blood levels confirmed it was working, and the improved levels mean that I'm making better use of dietary calcium as well.
    The Imperial Centre for Endocrinology has useful info on VitD guidelines for anyone interested, and the National Osteoporosis Society forum has much discussion on VitD/calcium as one might expect.

Yes, I am prescribed calcichew vit D 3 Forte. I have suspected osteopenia, so I expect they are quite keen on me taking the calcium. I may request a bone density scan and see how my bones are doing and if they look healthy, I may do what you suggest and just go for vitamin D. Last time, I was refused a scan due to my age. They said there is a very little evidence for bone density scans for under 35s.
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    When I originally was diagnosed {by DEXA} with osteopenia the GP I was with at that time put me on meds and shortly afterwards I changed GP's and this one said no need for meds for osteopenia.....Just life Style changes
    So 2 different opinions
    Love
    Hileena
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options
    I was found to have Osteopenia after DEXA scan and was given Adcal, but rheumy insisted I needed Adcal + D3. Been taking it ever since. Odd thing is that rheumy put in a letter that my scan result was normal???

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Thanks for this SW...very interesting I do take vit D..only because of something my pain clinic said...my sons step daughter at age 9 has just been prescribed them , apparently her mum has been a bit to enthusiastic with the sunscreen :o
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Crikey, Barbara! She must have :lol: Luckily my Californian grandson gets plenty of sun and my Scottish one is rarely out of shorts - and rarely indoors - summer and winter so, hopefully, they're OK.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Hope it's OK to add a little update to this. I saw my GI consultant last week and had a further blood test to check my Vitamin D levels. So I should be getting a letter from him with the results. I asked him to tell me what I could take as a maintenance dose if my levels have improved, so we'll see what he says. However, I've saved the information you gave in your first post, Sticky.

The consultant also requested a test of my Rheumatoid Factor, which is because of the laryngopharyngeal reflux I have and also my painful joints. I'm pretty sure it's OK and that my aches and pains are down to OA - just pain, no swelling - with the hip bursitis joining in, but it's good that he's so thorough.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Of course it's OK to give an update, Megrose. We like updates :) especially when they're good :D

You're right - it is very good that he's thorough.

Please update us further when you know more.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Thank you for the update, Megrose, he does sound thorough and that is always a plus-point with any doctor. Let us know what the letter says, please, if you feel you can share the contents. DD (who is now forgetting to take her Vit D :oops: )
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben