sulfasalazine?

Options
tiggerbounce
tiggerbounce Member Posts: 20
edited 21. Oct 2014, 03:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just been put on sulfasalazine for my reactive arthritis, can anyone tell me how long it takes to start working and Whay are the side effects?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I have been taking sulph since 2002 but not for RcTA. I have no idea if it will help you but I hope it does. What dose are you taking and what is your planned programme for increasing said dose? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    All these meds are different for everyone. Some find they work almost straight away, most find they take up to 12 weeks and, for some, they don't work at all and another has to be tried.

I've not done sulph but I try not to worry about side-effects unless they arrive. Mostly they don't :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I've been on sulphasalazine years ago now. I was told it was likely to be 12 weeks before I would feel any benefits. Sadly it didn't work for me & I was taken off it after 4 months. I had no side effects apart from Orange-coloured urine.

Good luck with it - I hope it works for you.
  • Teapot
    Teapot Member Posts: 271
    Options
    Sorry Tiggerbounce I pressed the New topic key instead of reply.
  • Tia1723
    Tia1723 Bots Posts: 43
    Options
    Sulfasalazine doesn’t work immediately, it takes maybe at-least 12 weeks to notice any benefit. My brother is taking sulfasalazine for last 3 years for reactive arthritis. During initial days, he often complained about lack of appetite and headache. Then his doctor reduced the dose and it sorted out. However, this was a mild side effect, but it also has side effect known as 'sulfa-rash,' as well as suppression of the person's bone marrow. So, if you are planning to use it over lengthy period of time, regular blood check up is recommended as it could also cause changes in your blood and liver.
    Hope you get on well with it.

Love, Tia
  • Essen
    Essen Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi guys, i was diagnosed with anklosing spodylitis about 3 years ago, i was put on enbrel, ( :( injection) it worked really well and stopped all aches and pains, until i started to get a really tight chest and shortness of breath, dizzy anxious and all of that! :o anyway, since ive been back in the uk from travelling i have had another mri scan, the doctors think i dont have anklosin spond after all but infact have reactive A.

I have been put on sulfasalazine and since i have felt rough! i am completely bunged up and have had a headache for about three days :shock:
    is it just a coinsidence or am i reacting to the medicine, i am not to sure what to do wether i should continue with it or not?

please let me know if any of you are on it and wether its good or not and wether you think i should carry on with it.

hope you are all having a pain free day!
    Thanks a bunch,

P

Hi Essen,
    Welcome to the forum from all the Mod team. I hope you find us friendly and helpful. I've changed your font colour to black as some members struggle to read posts in other colours.

Mod YEH
  • Tia1723
    Tia1723 Bots Posts: 43
    Options
    Essen wrote:

I have been put on sulfasalazine and since i have felt rough! i am completely bunged up and have had a headache for about three days :shock:
    is it just a coinsidence or am i reacting to the medicine, i am not to sure what to do wether i should continue with it or not?

please let me know if any of you are on it and wether its good or not and wether you think i should carry on with it.

Hi, from the basic information you have given, I would predict it is, as an initial reaction of your body to Sulfa. Your body is taking its own time to get adjusted to this new medicine. It might go away after few initial weeks. About 50-60% of people treated with sulfasalazine respond well to the treatment, but headache remains the major cause for discontinuing it.
    However, is it worth continuing on Sulfa or not, your rheumy would be the best person to tell, as it depends on many other factors like your current dosage, duration of treatment, severity of disease and your response to medicine.
    Alternatively, your doc might prescribe another medicine to cope up with this headache, if necessary. It could be alleviated by temporary reducing dosage, as well.

Love,Tia
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Essen, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry that you have had to find us. I have been taking sulph for twelve years now, I have psoriatic arthritis and in the initial stages I suffered from excessive bruising. I still bruise very easily even now. It doesn't do much for my arthritis but it does help to keep my skin relatively clear of psoriasis.

I remember my early days of tentative diagnosis and the number of trials (and mostly errors) I had with the meds. Nothing has ever done what was promised but no matter, it is what it is and it will do what it will do. It won't beat me. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben