Orthopaedic appointment, good news

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 6. Oct 2014, 11:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Saw my orths consultant this morning along with his new registrar, apparently I am an interesting case so he wanted to use me as a teaching opportunity!

Anyway the good news is that while I do have another prolapsed disc in my neck it does not need surgery at least for the moment as it isn't causing any problems. He did a couple of tests to demonstrate things to his registrar and said that all my problems with my arm and leg are neurological. I have a date to see neurology next month he is sending me for an MRI of my brain as they will want to see that and by doing it before the appointment it will speed things up a bit.
He will review me in 3 months. Very pleased to have a consultant who does joined up thinking rather than just focussing on his area.
So pleased I'm not having to think about going off sick again, as is my Headteacher who said he had been getting ready to put on his supportive face and tell me not to worry about school. Think he is nearly as happy as I am.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Slosh
    That is a very positive appointment......an interesting case eh!! :lol:
    Its nice that you have found someone that thinks "if its not broke don't fix it."......if its not bothering you at the moment don't you bother it.....tends to be my attitude to things :wink:
    Good luck with the other appointments
    Love
    Hileena
    ps...MRI of your brain??? Will they find one do you think :lol::lol::lol:
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I'm glad the appointment went well, Slosh, and pleased you got such a good consultant. He seems to have a plan which suits you. I hope the neurology goes well too.
  • Slosh
    Options
    My deputy head has already speculated that they will get a surprise when they look at my MRI as they won't be able to find it.
    Sure I will get anxious again as that appointment approaches but at present I'm just feeling relieved.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    So pleased that the appointment went well, Slosh.

Meg
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    That's better news - good luck with the MRI, have you had one before? They are noisy things! Medicos learn from complicated people like you, when I had my first synovectomy my orthopaedic surgeon took his camera in to the theatre because he had a feeling it would be an interesting case (my left knee was 27" in circumference by the time the op was done) and my knee is now in medical textbooks as an 'extreme' example. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    That is good news and I'm so pleased for you.

It's always good to be 'an interesting case'. You get more attention :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    DD this will be 4th MRI so I'm quite used to them now, as you say noisy and also boring!

I have no problem being a teaching example, we all have to learn and I have used pupils for case studies myself in the past. I think it was because he wanted his new registrar to pick up on the fact that my symptoms are a mix, part ortho and part neurological and make appropriate plans.

Sticky since my I saw my orths consultant, who is lovely, in August, there has been a real difference in the attention his registrars give me. I think it may also be that before I had my emergency appointment then with him thanks to my GPs persistence, I had twice raised my concerns at post op check ups only to have them brushed aside.
    As you say being "an interesting case" has some advantages.

Keep remembering my Mum who always said I never did anything the easy way! Don't think this was what she meant though.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Ohh, I'm SO pleased to hear some positive news for you, Slosh. I know it was quite a shock at your last appt, especially as you're still settling back into work. How are you finding things?
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks Starburst. Work is going well, though we seem to have a sudden influx of CP issues at present! A few staff are being a bit difficult but that's partly due to issues from my cover last year. Agreed to stick to 8.30 -3.00 for next week then up to full time again, though my head is happy for that to be the minimum counted as full time in teaching which will be 8.30-3.30. He is also very pleased I don't have to go for another op. It is VERY tiring though as well as painful but it is good to be back. Just have to remember to pace myself and take my mini breaks etc though that isn't always possible. How are you getting on as I know you were having some problems.
    Julian of Norwich
  • silkysam
    silkysam Member Posts: 113
    Options
    really pleased with your news Slosh. Was thinking about you :)
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you
    Julian of Norwich
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Oh Slosh, I am pleased to hear that it is good news (although not as good as you saying he had waved a magic wand and everything was all OK and you were going to live happily ever after). You must feel a whole lot calmer though now.

I kept checking on Friday to hear from you. Sorry it took me a while to reply I'm a bit under the weather (and that is saying something with the sudden arrival of Autumn this morning).
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Hello Slosh
    good luck with your MRI.((((((((slosh))))))))
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you both. I've accepted that magic wands, much as we might want them to, do not exist!

Feeling calmer now, but have a feeling that the nerves will return as I get nearer the date of my neurology appointment.

Sorry to hear you have been struggling LV, the change in the weather has been very sudden, hope things start to settle down for you soon.
    Julian of Norwich