X RAY

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 9. Oct 2014, 07:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
Well I've just come from the hospital. Had an X Ray on my L ankle.
Some of you older {long standing} :wink: members may remember about 5 and a half years ago A car reversed, knocked me down, reversed over my ankle, drove over it and then drove away.
Well and truly smashed.....I've still got a plate screws and pins in it. I was warned I would get OA in it.....That was diagnosed about four years ago but didn't bother me very much.....now it is starting to get much sorer..... Typically its the same side as the last THR, and the fractured greater trochanter bone :roll:
I see the consultant on 17th so he'll have the result of the X Ray by then
Love
Eileen

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I remember that happening, Eileen - such a dreadful experience. I hope when you get the X-Ray result it won't mean any further surgery. It's such a shame it's becoming more troublesome, and as you say, typical that it's an unwelcome addition to an already painful side.

Tezz x
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Tezz
    Do your remember that from Arthritis Angels????
    Don't remember posting it there but I must have......Good grief!!!! where does time go to.
    I sincerely hope it doesn't mean more surgery ....That last THR put me off and I don't want any more :cry:
    Love
    Hileena
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Yep, sometimes my memory works!! I can definitely understand you not wanting any more surgery.

Nick is decorating here, and we have plastering being done - everywhere is upside down - I just want it finished & stuff put back!

Tezz x
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Fingers crossed you don't need more surgery, but so sorry this is on the same side as your troublesome hip.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Slosh and Tezz
    Thanks
    Hope Nick gets finished soon.....Peter is doing the Kitchen at the minute and even that is driving me nuts :lol:
    I've started on a small room and it is taking a lot of sorting / throwing out and sending to charity shop. Especially at the speed I can go now. :lol: I've been working on it for days now and there is at last light at the end of the tunnel....one bedside table to be sorted......a drawer and a shelf underneath and THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!! Except for keeping on top of it and then starting another room :roll:

Slosh ....its murphys law isn't it that it would be on the same side as everything else that's not working.
    I had a mammogram a couple of days ago and I now can feel a muscle pulled {at least I think that's what it is} under my right arm and my breast. Notice what I said?....right arm......left leg is the bad one....which arm holds the crutch if I use just one???? The right one of course. So that wont help it to get better quickly.
    Never mind....I'll live
    Love
    Eileen
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Eileen, you certainly have more than your fair share of pain and problems. I struggle with one elbow crutch lord knows how you manage to get around. :? Shattered ankles are one of the worse things pain wise as they get so much hammer. I worked on an orthopaedic ward many years ago and I remember a patient telling me after about her 3rd op that if this one wasn't a success she was going to insist that it be amputated as she couldn't cope with the pain anymore. Her desperation has haunted me ever since. Deb
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Deb
    Thanks for the reply
    I think I posted on another thread to you....last night.
    I had just got home from my Arthritis Care branch meeting and wasn't quite with it trying to catch up with all the posts :lol:
    I can manage one elbow one in the house or for short distances but need 2 for any thing further than parking in a car park, getting out, going in somewhere {hospital, committee meeting or whatever}anything more than that I need both of them.
    Oh well......I suppose I'll get used to them.....its things like housework etc that's the problem.
    I've coped with spinal problems and OA etc and just adapting things but how you adapt things when you are on crutches {not just in pain} I've yet to find out :?
    Love

Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Life on crutches is very fiddly. You have to disentangle yourself from one to do something, then re-entangle to move to get onto the next. Usually the one that isn't being used crashes to the floor . Propping them up in shops or restaurants is fraught with 'Where can I stash these and will they topple or not?' thoughts, in squeezed circumstances the person showing us to our seats often finds themselves encumbered with them plus the words 'You have a kind face so could you put these somewhere safe for me, please? (The white lies we have to tell sometimes :roll: )

It's not easy but then life without them would be harder. They are a necessity, albeit a much resented and irritating one. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi DD
    I just thought about you before I opened this post :lol:
    They are a nuisance......I actually speak to mine when I prop them up....."STAY"....sometimes they listen sometimes they dont :wink:
    When out for coffee or something like that I tend to try to find a seat beside a wall or a pillar that I can prop them against.
    As you say life without them would be harder
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Hileena sorry I missed this one... :oops: but we do keep in touch but PM so I know how you are doing... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Don't talk to me about crutches!! You are totally right about what you said Hileena about talking to crutches!! I talk to mine as well saying 'now you stay there!' And DD with the crutch that's not being used crashing to the floor mine has nearly landed on one of the rugrats if they are in front of it! It's also hard to carry a hand bag with crutches, it's a right mess trying to hold both comfortably.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Have you tried a cross-body bag, Bubba? We need our bags and they solve that problem. DD
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for the answer Bubba.
    DD was mentioning a cross body bag.......
    I have a cross body bag but some time find a smallish {not too small :lol: } back pack handy.
    That's OK for me because I came across a small pouch I bought years ago at the gym....its basically to hang on your trousers to hold you locker key and some money.
    When I found it {clearing out} I showed it to Peter and he put a cable tie around the crutch {above the handle} then put a hook on the pouch so that hooks onto the cable tie.....its wonderful what I can get into that.....mobile, cards {cash/S****d**g B***s/C***a/S****b***s } all the important ones, LOL sweetex, some tablets, lipstick etc Because I have all that to hand ....eg if mobile rings I don't need to get the back pack off.
    So I suppose a cross body bag would be better
    Love
    Hileena

Company names edited by moderator JK
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I agree with all the comments about crutches, seems to be case of can't live with them, can't live without them! They are a nuisance but a necessary evil.
    I now need help in the school dining hall as even if I'm having a good day and managing on one I can't reach up to get my sandwich and drink, so another member of staff has to get it for me, which feels a bit humiliating at times. Mind you it was quite sweet one day when I propped one up against the table while I went to get a drink, a year three pupil with learning difficulties looked at it so I jokingly asked him to look after it for me, when I turned round he had out one arm round it!

I have got a selection of cross body bags which are designed so that weight is evenly distributed, they have lots of pockets, and you can pull them round to the front so you get to things without taking them off. Plus they come in all different sizes/ colours. Not cheap but worth the money. He***y b*ck b*gs
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Slosh
    I've got 2 of those bags......1 is Medium {I think} although its quite big
    The other one is a tiny little thing but is great depending on what I'm doing or where I'm going.
    Mine are both pink.
    That was sweet that pupil looking after your crutch :wink:
    I think we have to learn to ask for help {not just if we have crutches} it shouldn't be humiliating....I know it can be....its our pride that stops us from asking. Most people are only too willing to help.
    You've made me want to go into my favourites and get that website up again and see what the latest is......haven't looked at it for a while :lol:
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I've never regarded asking for help as humiliating, to my way of thinking it leaves a little more of my precious energies available to me for my use. I often hook things down from the top shelves in supermarkets for those who are vertically challenged :wink: . I used to use backpacks but since I broke my upper humerus the required contortions are not that comfy to perform. :( DD
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I'm all for asking for help too - it gives you a chance to reaffirm yourself that the human species is a social thing and I've never had anybody not help. Usually people are chatty and so they gain from that small social interaction and probably feel better about themselves too! It also provides a good opportunity to practice and hone my ability to charm which is never a bad thing is it?! :D
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi DD
    One of the places I regularly use my crutch to {hoike} things down is A*d* clothes section....sometimes they are so high.....the only thing is I cant get them back up if I don't want them so they have to go on a lower rail :lol:
    Love
    Hileena