RADAR key

Options
sallyann14
sallyann14 Member Posts: 25
edited 7. Oct 2014, 19:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone
Can you let me know where is the best and most reliable place / website to buy a radar key.... also which key is the most universal as i have heard that some of them dont fit many doors.
Thanks peeps
Sally
:D

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Really? I've never had any problems. I got my first from a village shop and my second from, I think, the RADAR website but I think you can even buy them on Amazon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • sallyann14
    sallyann14 Member Posts: 25
    Options
    hi sticky
    yes, my sister had one and had a lot of problems around Aldershot - her neck of the woods not mine - with the key not opening the disabled doors and when she approached the man with the magic key she was told that they use a different lock as misuse was happening !! But she found that her key fitted MOST of the locked loos but not all, so i dint want to go and buy one and find that it was a dud. have looked on what i presume is the radar website and they are about £2.50, does that sound about right?
    Sal
    x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I ordered mine from the RADAR site (and it wasn't expensive) but have not yet had to use it. I ordered mine because I could not access the council-run disabled toilets in a park in Brighton. Disabled toilets in public places such as bars and restaurants tend not to be RADAR keyed, if the door is locked then you have to approach a member of bar staff to work their magic. The one in our local Burger King is always locked. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    £2.50 sounds about right but the key not opening all RADAR locks doesn't. I expect it might be something like DD's experience ie they are no longer RADAR locks as the system was being abused. It doesn't really surprise me as anyone can buy these keys with no proof of disability required. I'm not sure what the answer is. It seems ridiculous that those with mobilitty problems should have to walk about to find a manager or someone to beg admittance because those without mobility problems have taken over the disabled loo :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Hello Sally
    i got my Radar key from our council offces.
    i have not had a problem with it.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    I got mine from Disability Rights UK. Fortunately, I haven't had to use it yet, but it's principally for IBS rather than arthritis. They're £4.50, but I wanted to be sure that I was getting the correct key, as I'd seen some reviews on Amazon where the cheaper ones didn't work.

Meg
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Lost mine recently and rang the Social Security who said you get them from the council office in person which is near on impossible for me as the office is only open till 4pm Monday -Friday and not open the weekend and my OH works Mon - Friday till 5pm. But reading what Sticky said about Amazon selling them I just ordered a new one from Amazon for £1.35 cheaper than the Council and It's free Delivery!!
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I got mine from amazon because it was cheaper than the official sites. I can't say I've ever had a problem. Mine is because of my gastrointestinal issues rather than my RA, so when I got ill, I needed it urgently. It was with me within a day. That said, I've noticed that very few toilets are RADAR locked.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi. I got mine from my local council office. I bought two. Janet keeps one in her bag and the other is kept in the car. I've used it s few times now. Used it on our last jaunt away at a seaside resort. The normal loos were charging fifty p to pee :shock: so I was glad I had the key with us lol.
    Went to the *etherspoons in Fort William today and the disabled loo inside the pub was a RADAR scheme loo. First time I've seen one in a pub.
    Sticky has a good point about anyone being able to get one. There should be a check on who can buy them. Once again idiots spoil something for those who need it the most :roll:

I've not had a problem so far with the keys not working though.

Best of luck with it. . :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP