Auto-Immune Paleo Quotes

Options
LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 7. Oct 2014, 03:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
My lovely sister in law has had numerous tests both here and in New York related to her thyroid and all of them have come back clear which would be cause to cheer. However, she is fixated on the issue (because her hair has thinned and she has put some weight on). Her diet is at best questionable but that is her choice. When they visited in summer both she and my brother were wearing bracelets which looked quite cool - apparently they were constantly monitoring their blood pressure, heart rate and other gubbins and she was trying to diagnose a bit of dry skin on my brother's arm as psoriasis. Each to their own, I wouldn't wish it on anybody. In the last month or so, with the aid of that well known professor of medicine Dr Google, she has diagnosed herself with an auto-immune thyroid problem and to mend this ailment has started the Auto-Immuno Paleo protocol which is some diet or other. Her zeal at finding this amazing cure for her self diagnosed illness involves posting recipes all over social media as well as those little picture things which are supposed to be inspirational but are actually damned right offensive to some of us (I'm sure she has no idea she is doing it, being rather stuck in her own little world). Things like 'drugs are for fools, I manage auto-immune illness through a proper diet' :roll: 'don't believe all the drug companies sell you' and other such sweet nothings.

I got a bit annoyed and irritated by her posts. Instead of feeling anger I shall invent my own little missives each time one gets to me - such as 'give me pills and injections anyday' or 'eat what you like, your immune system shall plow it's destructive furrow regardless'. As I say, I know she means no harm and I know she doesn't understand. I fail to see why she is hell bent on an auto-immune problem because lets be honest, they are cruel beasts but she is and that's her choice, I just need to make sure her zeal doesn't affect me and I intend to use humour to do that because when you have an auto-immune problem life is a bit too tricky already!
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think some people 'enjoy' illness, I reckon they think it brings them attention and concern. Don't rise to her bait, LV, as you say she appears to be totally lost in her own little comfy cocoon of poorliness so best leave her be. Is she an hypochondriac I wonder? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Its such a shame they waist what time they have thinking of illnesses they don have..I have met people like this and feel like screaming at them...but suppose we have to feel sorry for them..and then again... :x
    Love
    Barbara
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    When it was just the odd recipe I had no issue. When the cryptic attention seeking posts that beg for some sucker to ask for clarification I thought hmmm :? when it got all out war on drug companies and those who use medicines that are more than sage leaves washed in the tears of unicorns at midnight I got a bit upset simply because it's a bit rude to insist that anybody resorting to drugs is a brain washed weakling - walk, or hobble a mile in my shoes first! As you say, best left to her own devices and ignored whilst secretly wishing to shake her and trying to feel sorry for her :lol:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    LV, I completely misunderstood your header so what I like to think of as my brain cells were both operating in other linguistic areas :roll:

I wonder if these, different, quotes, might be of help:

A person all wrapped up in himself makes a very small package.

The fundamental cause of trouble in the world is that the stupid are cocksure while
    the intelligent are full of doubt.' Bertrand Russell

Confidence is the feeling you have before you really understand the problem.

An obstinate man does not hold opinions – they hold him.

I can see clearly now, the brain has gone

“It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.” Abraham Lincoln

Plus one of my all-time favourites which might not be relevant '
    'A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.' Spike Milligan
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I tried the sage leaves washed in unicorn tears and, oddly enough, nothing happened. :wink: I think it best to leave well alone, LV, the last thing you want to do is fall out with your brother or leave him torn in two about who to support. DD
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol: Thank you Sticky! That is just the kind of alternative I need. Maybe I should start popping them onto social media for her (but she wouldn't think they were for her would she?!). I like how your brain cells are working!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Don't waste your precious energies on such a pointless exercise - you are a better woman than that, LV. I gather from another thread that you are not doing too well at the moment, I hope things soon improve. Blasted autumn, as my Pa used to say 'It's a season of mists and mellow awfulness'. I couldn't agree more. DD