The ceiling is on the floor!

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 10. Oct 2014, 05:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was a little hazy this morning, I admit, but how I could have not noticed great chunks of the ceiling on the kitchen floor for a good half an hour, is quite beyond me! There is a leak from the bathroom upstairs. The leak is now on the kitchen floor, as is a lot of plaster board and flakes of paint.

As the last to leave for work, I have been delegated the responsibility of welcoming the plumber, batting my eyelashes and hoping he can fix this. We've had this before and it looks like we'll be without a shower for a while. Now, normally, one should not complain because we have a bath. However, as a creaky arthritic, the bath is a tad tricky for me. Fortunately, my wonderful mum usually helps me. Unfortunately, she is on holiday for another week. I am wondering if febreeze works well on people. :lol:

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I thought you'd been dancing on the ceilings on a heady night out again Sohpie or had at least woken up with a vodka head :lol:
    Baby wipes can strip engine oil so I'm sure if needs must you can probably use them rather than the febreeze (and they smell nicer). Bat those lashes!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh crikey, this is not a good thing is it? I hope the plumber arrives in due course and can sort this for you. Post an update as and when you can, please! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Oh no!! You could get one of those portable showers that fire men use when there is an infectious disease (white plastic onesies!!) to go through while your bathrooms on the kitchen floor!!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    It never rains but pours had they say :roll: ..what a shame your mum is away...I hope the plumber has landed and its not to big of a job...
    Love
    Barbara
  • weejim1961
    weejim1961 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    I've an auld tin bath in the yard if it's any use to you LOL. Kiddies paddling pool, £2.99 will do the job rightly. I assume it's a pipe, rather than a seal, as it assume it happened when no one was using the shower.?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Oh dear! You have enough on your plate without the additional hassle of sorting out plumbers, insurance etc. I hope it can be done quickly and painlessly, Sophie. Meanwhile, I have clothes pegs aplenty and am willing to share :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Oh no, what an awful thing to happen - I hope it can be fixed quickly for you.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    The ceiling has stopped crumbling down and the dog has eaten the last of the plaster on the kitchen floor. :? He's eaten worse, so I'm sure he'll be fine.

There's nowt they can do until the damage has dried up. The shower has a leak and it will need resealing but it will be a week or so. I can just about manage the bath, although it's exhausting and painful. My sister helped me which was an odd experience but we giggled a bit and I'm clean, so it's all fine!

I need to sort the insurance but I think it will be this evening as my stomach condition is really causing me grief, so I'm feeling quite weak and weary.

All in all, could be far worse and I've really started to enjoy my job now, so I won't complain too much. :wink:
  • Hips12
    Hips12 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    I am so sorry for your predicament but I had to laugh at your last sentence as it reminded me of Miranda Harts show when she says " Febreeze Me"
    I always say it now when I am putting on body spray lol.
    I hope the ceiling isn't too costly to repair..I almost had the same problem when my wet room was installed...the plumber set the shower pump to BLOW instead of SUCK so my first shower in my new wet room resulted in water pouring through the lounge ceiling, through the light fitting fusing the electrics and bits of plaster board and ceiling paper everywhere :o

Hips12
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    How's it all going? That was the last thing you needed to have to deal with. As for washing without a shower, after my neck op I wasn't allowed to shower for 4 weeks until the dressing came off, I have short hair so got very good at freshening it up with a wet sponge and baby shampoo and using baby wipes to help keep the rest of me clean!

Hope it all gets sorted soon but glad to hear you’re starting to enjoy your job.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I hope it's all going as well as possible. Thinking of you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright