Dr phone consultation

Options
bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 9. Oct 2014, 06:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just got off the phone with my G.P, she wanted to discuss my blood test results. She said my inflammatory markers had dropped massively and she was extremely concerned. She wants me to have a second blood test in a fortnight to check them again with other checks like Iron, kidney & liver as well because I could be extremely anaemic or the drop could be due to my flare though she said they wouldn't drop so much due to a flare. She was going to consult with my Consultant about his thoughts and go from there. So not good news and I'll have to see what happens next, I'll keep you posted...

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi bubba..glad you have been able to ring them..hopefully they will be able to offer some help very soon..hope you can have some me time..((())) x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    When mine have dropped everyone in rheumatology has been very happy (me included) because it was proof that the meds were doing what they are supposed to do. I think her response shows that she is not that au fait with inflammatory arthritis, how it works and what it does. I reckon this is a good thing, Bubba, not bad so try not to fret too much, ring your rheumatology helpline and leave a message with them, perhaps they will be able to put your mind at rest. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    :? Have you got that right, bubbadog? Inflammatory markers would normally go up during a flare, not down. If yours are low I would have thought that was a good thing.

I hope the second blood test will sort out any confusion. The fact that your GP is happy for you to wait for two weeks before having it suggests it's not urgent so, even if you are anaemic, you're not going to be dangerously so. I've occasionally had to have a course of iron tablets for low iron levels. Apparently, both RA and the meds we take for it tend to lower our iron levels :roll: I hope this is just a blip.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    That`s quite strange - I always hope my inflammatory levels are low when I have bloods done. At least once a year I have to take a two-month course of iron - in fact I`ve just completed one, and had bloods done this morning to see if they`ve worked.

I hope the second blood test makes everything clear.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I've been mulling this over and I reckon that it's your red blood cell count which has dropped, hence the thinking you could be anaemic. This is a common occurrence and obviously there's no great sense of urgency as you have to another test in a fortnight. If it's still low then you will probably be offered a course of iron tablets. This has happened to quite a few of us on here, it's not an uncommon occurrence. DD
  • bubbadog
    Options
    I think I must have got it the wrong way round! Because you do seem to go in to a trance when the words 'extremely worried' and 'not good news' are mentioned. I remember the figures and needing to see at least my Rhummy nurse A.S.A.P if I can't get in to see my Consultant. it's easy to get confused when it's on the phone it all gets mixed up. My G.P is the best in the practice for Arthritic and joint problems hence me having her as my G.P so it was my mistake. I tried to get a blood test for this week but can't get in till next week and the results will be back to my G.P in 24hrs so that's good. She said my meds need to be looked at again because they are not doing there job anymore.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It is easy to get confused but, as I said, I don't think there's too much need to fret. It seems as though the hydroxy is working OK so which meds aren't? DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    DD's solution would make sense to me. A low blood count = low iron levels = a short course of iron tabs. That's how it's always worked for me.

Your GP probably did alarm you if she used the phrase 'extremely worried' and no wonder :o But, if she's happy for you to leave it for two weeks before another test, I wouldn't get anxious, bubbadog.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Try not to worry too much, bubba. I concur with the sensible advice given by both SW and DD. It is hard to keep your head on the facts when you are feeling rough and over the phone too. ((()))
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Thanks guys, you've made me feel better. :)(())