Anti Inflammatory Medication

Options
jackiel
jackiel Member Posts: 19
edited 14. Oct 2014, 04:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all, just a quick question - has anyone experienced weight gain whilst taking the above ? I haven't but have read in a few places that this is a possible side effect. I am referring specifically to meloxicam.

Many thanks.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's easy to get hung up on potential side-effects of meds while forgetting about the actual effects of the thing they're there to deal with :)

I've never taken meloxicam or any of the newer NSAIDS but I took a whole array of the ordinary ones and never put weight on. Manufacturers are bound to list all possible side-effects even though they might only have been experienced by octogenarians with multiple diseases leading an ultra-sedentary life :wink:

When reading up on other people's experiences, on the internet, proceed with caution. Some sites are totally unregulated and many people prefer to blame something like a pill for their weight gain rather than their own lifestyles. If you stick to your normal diet I don't see why you should experience weight gain but, if you do, just go back to the GP and ask for advice.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tenbury
    tenbury Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Since going on Meth injections I have put lots of weight on.....
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I didn't notice any weight gain on them, but i stopped them due to an high kidney reading..so make sure you have blood test at least once a year..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Tia1723
    Tia1723 Bots Posts: 43
    Options
    Hi Jackiel,

Weight gain is not so common with anti-inflammatory medication especially one you are talking about i.e. Meloxicam (non-steroidal). If it is, I suspect, it is a water weight, provided there is no major change in diet and lifestyle. All NSAIDs do water retention, and when you are off them, you come back to your previous weight.
    One important thing to keep in mind regarding NSAIDs and weight gain is that all NSAIDs may cause congestive heart failure. I read on one of the medical site that, one of the main symptoms of heart failure is unexplained and rapid weight gain. This weight gain is often combined with other symptoms such as a cough and/or swelling in the ankles, feet, or legs. Make sure to contact your healthcare provider if you notice any unexplained weight gain or swelling during treatment with NSAIDs. He/she may switch you to another pain-relief medication.
    Hope it helps.

Love, Tia.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I think it's worth bearing in mind that all medication has potential side-effects but, unless we're in a risk group for them, we're unlikely to get them. A balance has to be achieved between the possible side-effects of meds and the actual effects of the disease if we don't take meds.

Unless you have high BP, high cholesterol, diabetes or a family history of heart or stroke problems then you would be very unlikely to develop heart failure as a result of taking NSAIDS.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I've never noticed either weight gain or water retention whilst taking NSAIDs and I've been taking them for a while but maybe I'm just lucky. I thought their main side effect was that they could potentially damage your stomach lining but that being the case, they had to be co-prescribed with stomach protector meds as recommended by NICE. If you are concerned one of the very best people to talk to about meds and their side effects is your pharmacist - advice and discussion regarding what you are taking is part of their job.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter