Come and join `arthurs` party!

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 17. Oct 2014, 06:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI
I have had some gatecrashers to my already crowded `arthur` party. :roll: After a busy day travelling to the big smoke to look at another uni with child no 1 and my chauffeur Mr NB, I eventually laid down to rest my weary bones and noticed that my knees were twice the size they usually are. :shock: Not impressed! I have been purposely ignoring their complaints for the last few weeks, ignoring the aching, the increasing difficulty I am having with going up stairs, and well probably going downstairs, the more frequent night waking than usual when my knees hurt as I toss and turn to try to find a comfortable side/position to lie on. But at 3 am as my also more frequent leg cramps started, ( so horrible!! at the front of my shins??!! ) I realized that something is definitely not right with my lower legs too- from the knees down. I have been pretending that it is ok to need to lift my legs into the car with both hands as it hurts too much to lift my legs by themselves, or to lift them by hand to elevate them on my footstool.
I did mention that my right knee was getting a bit sore when I had to see one of the new GP`s a few weeks ago, but he just poked my leg about and said it feels solid :shock: :oops: What??!
So I will try to get an appointment with one of the `old` GP`s , hopefully the no nonsense reliable one, that knows me .
I am home again now after my trip, and have lifted my legs up on my footstool, and have ice packs on my knees and hot water bottle on my back!! :lol:
Any tips on getting rid of my party gatecrashers welcomed!
NB

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You have a lot going on there, NB. The ice should help but some of it sounds as if it requires a proper doc. The one you saw probably meant that he couldn't feel any fluid on your knee. It sounds as if he would now after your gallivanting about. (Do parents check out unis these days? I never did for mine nor did mine for me. I don't think any of us would have wanted it. You just did it while at interviews.)

Do you take any dullers at night? If not, maybe it's time you started. If so, maybe you need something stronger. I can't relate to the leg cramps unless it's just a matter of muscles protesting at extra use.

Needing to lift your leg up by hand, though, suggests to me that you need a physio and some exercises. Basic quads. (The ones you'll have done after your THR) Despite all the walking it sounds as if you're only using some of the muscles. Maybe that would also explain the leg cramps ie one set of muscles is underused and another set overused.

Get it checked out properly though and I do hope the doc can help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello NB
    I do feel for you , what with the hips and back and now this, I dread my knees joining in one has been on the verge foe a few years..but fingers crossed it is behaving..I really hope someone will take you serious, and maybe ultrasound your knees this will let them see if there is inflammation in there.. I have just had it done on my hands..no inflammation thank goodness..but lots of OA..so you go along and don't come out till they listen..good luck and let us know how you get on ((())) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Sticky,
    Yes we have been to see 4 uni`s and been with her as all but 1 were quite a way from home, and I will feel better knowing I have been there if she chooses one that is a long trek from home.
    I am not lifting my leg because it is weak, it is because it is painful to lift it without holding it. I am still doing my physio as taught for my hips by the physiotherapists. I do take dullers, but they don`t last long. I have upped them at times when needed but don`t want to go up too much yet if I can manage. (stubborn thing that I am!)
    Hi Barbara,
    I will try to get an appointment for next week when I am off work. I won`t get one this week unless I say it is urgent, and I don`t think it is. I had knee surgery 20+ yrs ago because I have Osgood schlatters and they found an old fracture of the bony growth. But that has been ok for ages, until now?? not sure if it is related to the swelling etc.. I hope you are doing ok xx
    Just as an aside, my Dad is half way through his first course of chemo. Another 3 weeks and they will have a look to see if it is working. Fingers crossed!
    NB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Crikey, NB, you're only the second person I've ever met who's had Osgood Schlatters. The other is my elder son. He got it aged about 13 and had to bowl spin for a season instead of thumping in at pace. He's 43 now and still has a bony bump under one knee -but is still bowling his quicks every week :lol: I thought it was one of those things that came, in sporty kids, then went. It seems he got off lightly.

I take your point that it's not urgent but I'd get that appointment made if I were you. I don't think I've quite understood what's going on with the leg insofar as you say it's painful to lift the leg without holding it yet you're doing the quads. Don't they involve straight leg raises? Or is it only painful when your leg's not horizontal to start with? (Sorry, the old brain cell must have gone awol :roll: )

The very best of luck to your Dad with his chemo.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello NB
    I have never heard of the Osgood Schlatters thank goodness for copy and paste.. :shock: I hope you have had some luck with the appointment..let us know how you get on..((())) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi NB
    Have you made an appointment yet?
    I know how stubborn you can be :wink:
    How are you now? any better....You have a lot going on there....don't know how you cope with it all.
    Hope you get to the docs soon
    Love
    Hileena
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    How you doing today N.B? Any change? Did you get the appointment booked or have you been seen by G.P yet? Hope you haven't had any late arrivals to the party!!