Post Op - Total Hip Replacement

Options
JoJoBionic
JoJoBionic Member Posts: 2
edited 15. Oct 2014, 10:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I'm new to forums. Not used them before. I undergone a total right hip replacement 13 days ago , and although My left hip has been replaced, I'm after any tips or advice that will help my recovery.

I am only 27 years old and suffer with 3 types of arthritis in every joint of my body. I was diagnosed age 4 and had My first hip replacement back in 2007.

It would be interesting to chat with other people suffering with Juvenile, Rheumatoid and Osteo arthritis to hopefully exchange tips on how to cope better, living with this condition.

Many thanks
Jo-Anna

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there Jo-Anna and welcome to the forum :)

It sounds as if you will have a lot of tips to offer and not much to learn after such a start to life. You have certainly packed a lot of arthritic stuff into 27 years.

I was diagnosed at 15. I've had both hips and knees replaced (one knee twice) but I have reached the grand old age of 68 so not too surprising.

How did you manage three types of arthritis :o I just have RA and OA.

My post-op routine is to concentrate on rest and exercises at first. I do three lots of exercises routinely every day but, after a joint replacement, I do about 6 lots of quads daily until I'm properly mobile again and able to do the other kinds of exercises. I'm lucky in that my husband is now retired so he can take over the cooking. Before he retired my Mum helped out.

You'll see we have – above – a thread called 'Simple ideas...' which might be of interest to you. My general rule of thumb is to ignore the arthritis as much as possible, make allowances when I have to but not let it dictate who I am.

We have a few young people on here and I'm sure some will turn up soon. I hope to see you around :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Jo-Anna
    Its lovely to have you on the forum..I had my hip replaced around 15 months ago now and waiting for the other one to be done..I would agree with SW rest and exercise..and eating well...has you know things soon improve ..you are so young to be going through all this I do count myself lucky that I was in my 50s when I started with Arthur and at the min I only have one kind..you will find out how good it is to talk to people that understand..so don't forget we are always here... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • Tia1723
    Tia1723 Bots Posts: 43
    Options
    Hi Jo-Anna,
    I was diagnosed with RA about a year back. And life has been miserable since then. Keep on wondering about how you would have managed 3 types of arthritis that too at small age...hats off to you :P . It took a while to accept that my body needs change and now I have slowly adapted to new limits of my body, which is very important, I guess. I am keeping food diary to note the foods that causes trigger my RA symptoms. And now I learnt to stay away from them, which has made life little easier :) . I do yoga, walking and swimming as a part of exercise, as advised by my rheumy. On his advice, I started taking antioxidants and fish oil supplements since last 6 months, but yet to observe any difference :? .

I don’t have any practical tips to share with you than above, but definitely looking forward for tips from you on managing fatigue associated with RA. I am experiencing terrible fatigue lately (about to discuss in my next appointment with rheumy), which is making me “prematurely growing old :? ”

Love,Tia.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Oh my goodness - three lots? You poor lady. Well done for coping so long. I can't talk about post -op but in terms of day to day I manage my 1.5 types of arthritis (really I just have a dual diagnosis because they don't know what my one type is) by being flexible enough to let plans dissolve and when I am at my worst by knowing what is necessary for that day, what can be binned, what is my trying to over-achieve and what essential steps I need to perform to get to bed time. That and trying to listen to my body and not my over active mind which I'm not the best at!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • East2West
    East2West Member Posts: 8
    Options
    I just wanted to say Hi. I'm new to this site and very new to arthritis having been diagnosed with OA of the hip too. It's been quite unsettling as I've tried to come to terms with what this means for me and I still don't know what I should or shouldn't be doing but I'm hoping my hospital appointments will help with that. One of the things in my future that's inevitable is a hip replacement / surgery. In terms of advice I'm afraid I cannot offer any as I'm still in a daze as to what's happening. If you have any specific questions - post them on the forum & someone more knowledgeable than me will respond as they're a great friendly bunch! Sorry I'm not a lot of help. I would be interested to know more about your hip op or anyone else's experience - just so I get an idea of what's involved.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hello again, East2West :) These might help http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Selfmanagement/Healthylifestyle

http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/Search/search_results_page_view?SearchableText=hip+replacement

I've had two THRs so, if you've any questions, just ask. (Probably on a new thread as you'll get more answers :D )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright