rituximab anyone?

Options
Newgirl
Newgirl Member Posts: 8
edited 25. Oct 2014, 04:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Really struggling at the moment with my flare after being in remission. After humira failed to do anything for me- I've been told today about taking meth (6tabs) alongside another biologic. They're leaning towards rituximab- during my appointment I was thinking of so many things, I completely forgot to ask how long the infusions would take and side effects. Can anybody help with this? Getting so down with it all now, just need to find something that works for me and stops me feeling so down and tired!

Thanks everyone
Sam xx

Comments

• As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Newgirl wrote:
    Really struggling at the moment with my flare after being in remission. After humira failed to do anything for me- I've been told today about taking meth (6tabs) alongside another biologic. They're leaning towards rituximab- during my appointment I was thinking of so many things, I completely forgot to ask how long the infusions would take and side effects. Can anybody help with this? Getting so down with it all now, just need to find something that works for me and stops me feeling so down and tired!

Thanks everyone
    Sam xx

I used to have Ritximab. From what I remember the infusion would take 6-8 hours and after the initial build up doses treatment was only needed once every 6 months so it was great. I had no long term side effects and only suffered very short term side effects lasting no more than 3 days. These were: Drowsiness after infusion, feeling exhausted for a couple of days after and a headache after infusion.

I have posted some links below with information on this drug. You could also phone your helpline and ask for the information pack which includes all the information you need in book and DVD format.

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/rituximab/when-and-how-to-take-it.aspx

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/rituximab.aspx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Sorry, I can't help. I've never done the biologics but I do hope the ritux works for you and quickly :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • evelf47
    evelf47 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi I have been on Rituximab for a few years and had a few infusions . Sometimes they seem to last for longer than at other times. I did not have any side effects apart from the strangeness that the steroid infusion gives me( you have a steroid infusion before the rituximab )
    Before this treatment life was at times almost not worth struggling on with but a few weeks after my first infusion I had a big improvement . It has made a huge difference to my symptons and
    when the rituximab starts to wear off I go back to the bad old days.
    It's not a complete miracle as anyone with RA etc knows I still have bad periods and struggle with all the usual pain etc but it has given me my life back in so many ways
    It is scary to have to take such unknown and toxic drugs but for me it's worth the risk. Good luck if you go ahead with it.
    I am also on 20mg metho injections.
  • Tia1723
    Tia1723 Bots Posts: 43
    Options
    I heard it is pricey, but can get you a quality of life back. Side effects would be common as that of other biological, like infusion reactions, but your doctor can definitely help you deal with them, if discussed prior.
    Sorry I might not be of anymore help, but I guess, I have seen some threads on Rituximab earlier on this forum and someone more experienced would turn back. Thanks.

Hope everything goes well for you.
    Love, Tia
  • Newgirl
    Newgirl Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies! Still waiting to hear back from them! Feeling a bit more positive today :)
    Sam xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I hope the get back to you soon but, if not, give them a nudge :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright