worried about my neighbour

Options
bridesmum
bridesmum Member Posts: 181
edited 22. Oct 2014, 08:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
My neighbour is 84 and is usually very bright and active. She is very independent and washes and cooks for her son who lives across the road . She has lots of granchildren and great grandchildren who visit her every week.She went into hospital for a tkr about 3 weeks ago. After her op she apparently was very confused which I know happens quite a lot in older people after an anaesthetic. She was in hospital for a week then sent home with an arrangement for carers to come in twice a day. She had only been home about an hour when it was decided that she couldn't be left and a respite home was found immediately. She has been in the home 2 weeks now and her son told me today that it doesn't look like she'll be home any time soon. She is still disorientated and in a lot of pain. We move house next friday so although we're really busy packing we'll hopefully go to visit her at the weekend. I feel so sad that this has happened to such a lovely lady, luckily she has a wonderful family and I know that she will be well looked after wherever she is.

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Deb
    That is awful. Especially since you are moving.....you are going to worry about her.
    Its good that she has a loving family around her.
    I have a rough idea of what you must feel.
    My mam is 92 lives on her own with my brother popping in and out to check on her and her medication. Theyare in Northern Ireland and I'm in the North East of England :shock:
    How far away will you be from your neighbour?
    Anyway....my mam isn't very mobile {look who's talking :lol: } but there is nothing wrong with her brain......she has all her wits about her.
    Suddenly she started talking gibberish....into hospital, and they found she was dehydrated......so after a spell in hospital, then into re-hab for a while she is back home.
    Its awful when you are not near them.....shes as lucid as she ever was now.
    Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I only learned recently that it's relatively common for the very old to go briefly doolally post THR or TKR. The mother of my son's friend did it twice but made a full recovery each time. I hope the same goes for your neighbour.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I have read it is quite common for older people to suffer from confusion and depression after an anaesthetic. I hope she recovers soon.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Tia1723
    Tia1723 Bots Posts: 43
    Options
    I read it is one of the most common post-op complications in older patients and although it is a common problem, care for such cases is spotty at the best. I hope her caretakers help shorten delirium by talking and reorienting her.
    The best thing is she has a wonderful family support. Not only they would provide comfort, familiarity, they're also more likely than others to recognize when she isn't behaving normally. I hope reassuring presence of her family would encourage physical activity and social interaction which would fasten her recovery.

Love,Tia