Less weight but more pain.

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 19. Oct 2014, 16:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Slowly but surely, the pounds are dropping off. I know that not being overweight will benefit my overall health and while I was not aiming for a magic cure, I imagined less of a strain on my damaged joints. To keep myself motivated, I thought about each less pound as one less pound for my feet to have to carry. The realisation hit me this week. My pain and level of disability is increasing at an alarming rate. It may be a coincidence but is beyond frustrating. :( I'm not unrealistically optimistic. I'm five years in and I know the score but I had hoped that weight loss would made things easier. It hasn't. The disappointment hurts almost as much as my feet do.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I once lost three stone (thanks to a long-lasting flare) but the pain levels remained the same. I remember the disappointment very clearly which is why I don't feel any motivation to lose weight - it should make a difference but my joints are so shot to bits it won't. :roll: I empathise, Sophie, it sucks to a dreadful degree on top of everything else that sucks. :( ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that, but don't forget in terms of your pain and increasing difficulties to factor in the impact of working, and especially in a demanding and stressful job where you can't plan to have an easy day because you're feeling rough. Hope you have a restful weekend.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi Sophie,

Hearty congrats for losing the weight, although I do understand why you're feeling disappointed. I remember losing a lot of weight in my early twenties (or thereabouts), hoping that it would help my PsA. It didn't, unfortunately :roll:

Please don't feel completely disheartened, though, as keeping your weight at a healthy level will benefit other aspects of your health. It takes a lot of motivation to keep to a weight loss programme and I think you've done really well to stick with it :)

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Sophie, don't be disheartened, you are doing AMAZINGLY well. Losing weight may not miraculously help pain-wise, but in the long term it will help stress on your joints and possibly slow down damage. Like everything else we have to go through, it takes time. You are also helping yourself because extra weight I believe, is linked to higher levels of inflammation overall. Be extra nice to yourself, that's fantastic!

Cheering you on.....
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    For every one pound you reduce the pressure on weight bearing joints by four pounds. Think of it the opposite way - if it hurts this much with all those pounds less pressure, how much would it hurt if you were still carrying that weight? Also think of the long term and how you might be helping the longevity of your joints. I'm currently shrinking back down in size (I did enjoy a few too many fried eggs whilst pregnant :D ) and I can report no difference in disease activity at any weight but I do feel better and can move more easily when I'm smaller which in turn makes me feel happier. Keep going, you are such a brave sun beam and you just keep tackling anything this world has to throw at you. I hope you feel comfier soon but maybe it's time to chat to your Rheumy nurse? (((((()))))))
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    The others have said it all, Sophie. Of course you're disappointed but you've still done really well. Losing weight isn't going to banish the arthritis completely and you are currently under enormous pressure. Cut yourself a bit of slack, give yourself a pat on the back (ouch :wink: ) and keep doing what you're doing.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Thank you for reminding me why I'm doing this. My rheum nurse did say that there is evidence that less weight means less inflammation and people who weigh less tend to need lower doses of meds, so those things are both enormous advantages.

I suppose the impact of taking on such big job hadn't really occurred to me either. I'm glad I posted, I feel much less disheartened. I've also lost 2lbs this week which has kept the momentum going. If nothing else, I'll feel a little more confident in my swimming costume on holiday next month. :wink:

I also wanted to apologise for not being around much. I feel bad for posting my own messages and not replying much to others. I am just a bit exhausted and trying to clear my head is not easy. I hope it will begin to pass, so I can return to feeling like my usual self.

Wishing everyone a peaceful and lovely Sunday. x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Don't you dare apologise :shock: You cope with so much, on so many fronts, yet you do still find time usually to encourage and support others. I've often wondered how.

Well done on the continued weight loss. It must be all the more difficult when you can't feel any benefit but it has to help.

I hope your week goes as well as possible :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    You have nothing to apologise for. Starting any job is hard especially one like yours which also makes emotional demands on you.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi again Sophie,

Slosh and sticky are spot on – no need to apologise 8)

I'm sorry I'm not up to date on everything that's been going on with you, but I know all too well that work can take up massive amounts of time and energy. Congrats on the further weight loss and I hope you've had a wonderful weekend :)

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)