Extremely Anemic

Options
bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 24. Oct 2014, 06:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
I spoke with my Rhummey Nurse on Friday, she said I was extremely Anemic and everyone (G.P, Consultant & herself) wants to find the cause A.S.A.P because my bloods show a dramatic drop from 3 weeks ago. I'm feeling totally run down & can hardly do anything and I've realised I other than my OH I don't have any proper friends who I can call to chat with!! It is amazing when you are ill and older you realise you haven't a good close friend like you did at school. My OH is great but he doesn't understand properly about R.A and the pain and what we have to go through.

Comments

• lulubell69
    lulubell69 Member Posts: 110
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I have just been told I am severely anaemic and have been given iron tablets. However, mine is due to gynaecological reasons.
    I can totally empathise with your feeling of friendlessness. I too have a lovely husband but when I finished work none of my 'friends' kept in touch. I have many health issues and problems and would dearly love a friend who genuinely cares and takes an interest as none of my extended family are remotely interested. That is why I find this site so useful., everyone is so kind, thoughtful and supportive.
    I don't know much about anaemia but I'm sure that iron tablets will help to fight the fatigue, and your medics will get to the bottom of it soon. Hopefully it won't be anything serious.
    Take care
    Lesley
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    It's good that your team are liaising on this, bubbadog and are on to it quickly. We keep pointing out the value of our regular blood tests to newbies and here it is, in a nutshell.

When I had a similar problem my GP sent me for an endoscopy to check there was no bleeding from my stomach. There wasn't but my joy was short-lived :roll: as she said that, to be sure, they now needed to check my bowel too. As the guy couldn't get right up (apparently I have a long, loopy colon) a barium enema followed. The end result? All clear in my digestive tract and a short course of iron pills. I hope things will be as simple for you.

Friends? You do have them. We're here.

Have either you or Lesley thought about trying Arthritis Care's Chat4Change programme? There's a sticky on it above.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I'm another one currently on a course of iron tablets. I hope the medics can sort you out quickly, as it's no fun being tired all the time.

My mother once told me that you discover who your real friends are when illness strikes, and I think she was right. I lost what I thought was a good friend early on in my RA journey, when I wasn't able to give her a lift to various places, nor trek round endless shops with her. No matter - clearly not as good a friend as I'd thought.

Sticky is right - plenty of us here who can provide a friendly ear.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It is a bother isn't it, the whole business of how things can change so quickly from OK :) to not so OK :? to OMG! :o I reckon this will be easily sorted, Bubba, many of us on here have had short courses of iron tablets to help boost our reserves (if that is the option for you then also ask about Docusate capsules because iron can 'block one's drains' (if you get my drift). Can you increase your natural iron intake too? I believe that some nuts are a good source but I avoid them because they trigger my asthma. Watercress is my go-to natural remedy and, luckily, I love it so it's not a hardship for me to munch on half a bunch like some peculiar rabbit. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    You have another friend here too! I hope they get to the bottom of the anaemia for you and fast (((((())))))
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Im a friend too Bubba you have lots of us. (((()))) Mig
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    If you are on iron tablets don't take them at the same time as tea or coffee - the tannins in both bind with the iron and prevent proper absorption. To get maximum absorption some acid is good so eg orange juice is ideal. I learnt this during my Biochemistry degree from the mad lecturer who taught about vitamins and minerals. She always told us odd little stories about what she was teaching us and that is how I remember about tea and coffee being bad with iron! She did tell us that when farmers had an anaemic cow they would hammer a nail into her so the iron would absorb that way!!! Rather have the tablets!!

Also - you have another friend here. (((())))
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Frogmella told me that when I was anaemic and pregnant. A midwife saw me swallowing my tablet with orange and I got full marks and teachers pet status (thanks Frogmella, never forgot you earned me goody points :wink: ) - not sure how true or worthwhile but dried apricots were also sold to me as a good source of iron by the midwives so might be worth investing in a bad to munch on as a snack - every little helps.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Tia1723
    Tia1723 Bots Posts: 43
    Options
    Hi, Bubba,
    Another advice: Iron is absorbed the best on an empty stomach. However, few might experience stomach cramps, nausea, and diarrhoea. In such condition, taking iron supplements with little food or fruit juice, as advised earlier, serves great choice. Avoid eating eggs, cheese, yogurt, whole grains and spinach one to two hours after taking iron. Milk, calcium and antacids should NOT be taken at the same time as iron supplements. You should wait at least 2 hours after having these foods before taking your iron supplements.
    Avoid high fiber foods, such as whole grains, raw vegetables, and bran at the same time of taking iron supplements.
    Alternatively, eating iron rich meals also help you get your daily iron needs. Start consuming more red meat, dried beans, egg yolks, dark-meat chicken, whole grains, and iron-fortified cereals. Seafood options that are highest in iron include clams, oysters, pork and beef.
    Another friend here. Hope you get to the root cause of your anaemic status very soon, though I wish nothing major comes out.

Love,Tia
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I just needed a kick up the backside as this Anaemia is wiping me out making me feel really low. I'm getting lots of cuddles from my rugrats, it's amazing how they pick up that your feeling down. Arnie won't leave my side.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Has anyone (apart from us) suggested how you can improve the iron content in your blood? If so, are you following their advice? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Not yet DD, I think my G.P is waiting on the results of my 2nd blood test before doing anything.