Laughter and pain or no laughter and no pain?

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 22. Oct 2014, 03:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Something I wrote on a thread earlier :shock: (How self-reverential can one get :roll: ) made me wonder.

If you could lose your arthritis totally and permanently by also, simultaneously, losing your sense of humour totally and permanently what would be your choice?

I have realised, to my surprise, that, for me, being unable to see the funny side of life would, despite everything, be more of an all-pervasive handicap / disability / pain than having arthritis :idea:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I don't think life would be worth living in any form without the ability to giggle. I can't even imagine it to be honest.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I think a sense of humour is quite precious, and without it, one would struggle for friends etc. You need to be able to find a funny side, so on the whole, I`ll just rub along with the RA.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I need to laugh. I have to laugh, it's as necessary as breathing. Laughter brings colour, clarity, happiness, joy, relief and it's just plain FUN. It's even better when you find others who share your humour wavelength - that's when the glorious 'I can't breathe' sessions of laughing are triggered and I cannot imagine a life without them. Laughter and pain every time for me - it's the only way to be. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    I couldn't complete the voting process. I gage how my PsA is doing partly by how much sense of humor I have...

To answer your question: it depends on the level of pain. If I could have a steady level of moderate pain, I'd take that and keep my sense of humor. For me it's not just the pain, it's feeling horrible too. No, I really don't think I would give up my sense of humor, except for very severe, constant pain.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh Anna, here's a transatlantic hug or three just for you. ((( ))) It can be very difficult to laugh when stuff is really jangling but, for me, it became part of coping better with it all. It does test one, though. :( Have some more hugs. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hugs gratefully received. Thanks DD.

Surely our sense of humor is a coping mechanism for times of stress :?: Interesting question, Sticky. I've gone for long periods without mine (but with arthritis). I really can't imagine life without both, so I'll vote now: I'll keep my sense of humor even if I have to have arthritis.
  • stickywicket
    Whoops! I forgot to vote :roll: Now remedied :D

I'm pondering if I actually meant 'self-reverential' or 'self-referential' in my original post. I think I probably meant both :roll:

Anna - I understand your dilemma and there have been very brief moments in my life when I've struggled to laugh but there have been so many more when laughter pulled me through and out the other side.
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    that's when the glorious 'I can't breathe' sessions of laughing are triggered

When everything degenerates into snorts and squeaks :lol: Oh yes, please. This is still one of my all-time favourites https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k0qZDdfvZk
    Steven Wright
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    is that the swearing thread/poll your post got mods editing it for swearing , btw nothing wrong in being a humbug :lol:

thinking get rid of arthur & then we can go out & get drunk ( it says I cant use the P word that means the same wtf
  • stickywicket
    trepolpen wrote:
    is that the swearing thread/poll your post got mods editing it for swearing , btw nothing wrong in being a humbug :lol:

:? Nope. You got me there, trepolpen.

'Drunk' is not my thing. Utterly relaxed with some good friends - that's where the fun lies :D

Congratulations on circumnavigating the new naughty word detector :wink:
    Steven Wright