Shingles

Options
theresak
theresak Member Posts: 1,998
edited 24. Oct 2014, 02:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
I`m just hoping to ask a question of you wise people. In April, on holiday in the wilds of NW Scotland, I developed shingles. I was given anti-virals, within 48 hours. The rash was horrible, following the path of my sciatic nerve, so a lot of rash. Naturally, some bits became infected, so antibiotics followed hot on the heels of the anti-virals.

Six months on, I now have post herpetic neuralgia, which is not nice.Most times it is background pain/soreness, but sometimes it is like red hot pokers burning my skin. Yesterday and last night I thought the shingles must be coming back, as nothing could shift the pain and I felt wretched - just as I did before the rash manifested itself last time. My GP is reassuring, treating me with amitryptiline for the nerve pain, and I have plenty of painkillers. He can`t put a time-frame on this PHN clearing up , and I just wondered if anyone on here had experienced this?

I`m left with lots of lovely scars - mostly on my bottom and upper thigh, so thankfully well hidden - but just wanted to know if others have had similar trouble.

Tezz x

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    No I haven't. I have nothing helpful to say other than that sounds utterly miserable and pretty unbearable. I hope it scoots off soon. I think I assumed that shingles wasn't much once you'd had the anti-virals (assumed with absolutely no knowledge other than the relationship to chicken pox), I never realised this could happy. (((((()))))) LV sincerely hoping that kind of misery ends soon you poor poor thing
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    How horribly painful this must be! I haven't had shingles, but I did have chicken pox at age 40. This was a truly horrible experience.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    That sounds awful!
    I'm sorry I can't be of any help, but I do wish you well.
    Take care, (((())))
    Numpty
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've not had this but have heard of it. It must be utterly miserable and I have no idea about how things can be eased. All I can say is I hope it settles soon - I wonder if it could be worsened by the beginning of an infection such as a cold or summat? :? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    That sounds horrible, Tezz, and you must be very stoical to have put up with all that for so long and still found time to come on here and support others.

I'm sorry, I'm another who can't help. I had childhood chicken pox, never had shingles and Mr SW had the jab so I have some protection.

Am I right in thinking you're an auto-immuner? If so, I can see why they tell us to avoid it.

I hope it goes asap. If there were any justice in the world such a nasty disease would at least leave you able to flaunt your battle scars :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry Tez I cant help but I know how horrible it is, has my late brother had it..and the pain was awful..so I feel for you , he didn't get the antiviral drug quick enough so I am glad to see you did ,I hope it eases for you very soon x
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words and understanding - so often they provide the best medicine.

The pain has subsided, thankfully, today, and is now at a more tolerable level.I do have a very understanding GP, to whom I spoke yesterday on the phone, and he can either up the amitriptyline by a few more mgs, or prescribe gabapentin - not fancying adding yet another drug to my already large collection, I opted to up the amis.

Yes, DD, he thinks there must have been a trigger to set things off, and at the moment we`ve had the house upside down and workmen coming and going, leaving doors open etc, so it may be that.

Sticky, much as it would be nice to show my scars, trust me - they are not a pretty sight!! Yes, I`m an auto-immuner too.

Thank you all again - onwards and upwards, as the saying goes.

Tezz x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I thought you were one of us :wink: . Am I correct in remembering that you take humira? If so have you considered stopping it for a week or so in order for your immune system to fire up and help combat this bout? If not then please ask your rheumatology unit for advice but mine has always told me to stop my meds when I have an infection of any kind - and I do. DD
  • theresak
    Options
    Yes, DD, I am a humira taker, and I haven't taken it this week, just in case. My rheumy team's advice is always to cease taking it if there's a possible infection.

I am feeling better though, so hopefully better days ahead.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Good, DD approves. :wink: I am mething today and humira-ing tomorrow, I have virtually creaked to a halt. Hopefully by Saturday I'll be creaking a little more comfortably. :lol: DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Glad it's a bit better, Tezz.

A good GP is so important.

I hope it will gradually ease off.

(Do you know how you got it? I'm always in fear of my US grandsøn getting chicken pox while we're over there.)
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    Options
    Thanks DD,I'm glad you approve - happy stabbing today & tomorrow.

Sticky - I was told that if you've had chicken-pox the virus lies dormant in your body until something - stress, for instance, - triggers it off. I have no idea how I caught it, as you can't catch shingles from another person with shingles,though you can pass it on to someone who hasn't had chickenpox. Both my grandsons had chickenpox a few years ago, so I couldn't even go down & help my DIL because of being on humira.

If you were unlucky enough to get it it is crucial you start taking anti-virals asap. They are HUGE things which you take 5 times a day.

Of course we can't have the shingles vaccine because it's a live one.

I agree with your comment about a good GP - ours is the old-fashioned type who still puts his patients first & will come on a home visit when needed. He's tearing his hair out over the state of the NHS,& being a single doctor practice with only a part-timer to help all his patients are terrified he will retire as soon as he's old enough, though he has a fair few years to go yet.

Tezz x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I thought you could catch it from someone with chicken pox. My Helpline advised me on how to not get contaminated when going out with friends whose grandchildren – currently living with them - had it. (I had chicken pox as a child.)
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    Options
    Oh, right Sticky - contrasting information, as the nice GP in Ullapool who opened up his surgery for me on the Sunday, said it wasn`t "caught," it was triggered, and had I been under any stress, or had any viral infections. ( Answer no.) I must have just been a mystery!
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I believe the chicken pox virus is reactivated as shingles when the immune system is depressed due to viral load, stress, immunosuppressant therapy, etc. After contracting chicken pox we carry the virus in a dormant state in nerve tissue for life.

My dad got shingles when he was undergoing chemotherapy. He had not been exposed to anyone with chicken pox. Talk about adding misery to the already miserable.

In my case, I was definitely exposed to children with chicken pox. I apparently had never had it as a child. I knew this but assumed after age 20 that I must have had a mild case and had some immunity. It was always in my mind to get vaccinated just in case, but I didn't bother. Unbeknownst to me, I shared an office lunchroom couch with two co-worker's children who were staying in the lunch room while they were home from school with CP. Wow, was I sick for months and multiple trips to hospital ER. I'm not sure if it was coincidental, but a lot of my ongoing health issues started after that illness at 40. Most adults think it's a mild illness, so are unconcerned when their kids have it but if you contract chicken pox as an adult, it can be very severe. Or, if you have shingles it can be severe and last a long time. Sorry, I know the thread is about shingles, I got off track telling my chicken pox story :oops:

Take care of yourself Tezz, hope you continue to improve.
  • theresak
    Options
    Gosh Boomer, what an awful thing to happen. You must have been really poorly - I wouldn't be at all surprised that the bad case of CP perhaps led to other health issues.

Any childhood illness caught as an adult must be far more severe - my mother had mumps as an adult and was really ill.

Tezz x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Mr SW caught chicken pox from our two boys and spent one night in a bath of cold water he was itching so much.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I couldn't help it, Sticky, I laughed. :oops: I apologise.

Many of my pupils, thanks to a phonological deficit (i.e. not being able to accurately process speech sounds), called it chicken spots. DD