Computer desk adaptations

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 22. Oct 2014, 03:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Last week my brother who lives in Essex underwent surgery to have two discs removed from the top of his neck due to wear and tear. This now means he cannot look down to do things and, although adapting to most activities, he is finding it difficult to work at his desk top computer as he cannot look at the key board. He is sitting well back and using his eyes to look down, but obviously his arms are stretched out and it is not ideal or comfortable.

Does anyone know of an individual or organisation local to Essex who would visit his home and suggest and possibly provide the necessary adaptations to enable him to use his computer.

It looks as if his work place will be covered by the Access to Work scheme when he eventually returns, but needs something done at home.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received, thank you.

Janet

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have one of those portable tables that you can raise the level of at home that I keep by my chair.
    I also have a couple of book stands, one small for my kindle/phone and a larger one that takes up to A4 size books and holds them open.
    I use a laptop at home but have it on a very cheap laptop slope from a certain well known swedish homewares store. As part of my problem is that I have a neurological problem that causes a lot of pain when I use my arms I also have the home version of the Dragon software.

Hope that is of some help, I know that my local OT service wouldn't come out to me as I was not disabled enough and I would always advise people to be wary of private services who offer to assess and supply you with things.

Also look at things like monitor risers, and get a suitable chair, high backed, and what about a height adjustable table, not an expensive electric one but again that store I mentioned earlier does ones with adjustable legs.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Thank you Slosh for your quick reply. I've looked up Dragon software as I didn't know what it was and that looks very helpful. I'll pass your kind reply onto my brother. He rang earlier and what he said made me laugh :lol: . He had been out to buy a roll of cling film to wrap around his neck so he could have a shower tomorrow. Oh, the trials and tribulations of bits wearing out.

Janet
  • Slosh
    Options
    I had discs removed from the base of my neck earlier this year, I wasn't allowed to shower until the wound had healed and then got a spare collar to wrap in clingfilm to wear in the shower. This also meant I could wash one out and wear the spare when it got dirty. Hope he makes a good recovery.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Slosh
    Options
    I got the dragon software not so much because of my neck, but because I also get severe nerve pain in my shoulders and arms when I use them. It was part of my acess to work package and I bought myself the home version. I love it, but if you search on here you will see that not everyone gets on with it.
    I am wondering if your brother would be better off with a screen/monitor riser, you can get stacking ones, or just put wood underneath one, a slope for the keyboard and then learning to touch type so he doesn't have to look down. There are lots of free programs out there and it would give him something constructive to do while recovering. I did try this but found it very painful in my arms and shoulders. Another option, which is what I am using now is a tablet on a case which allows it to stand up on a table which is at the correct height, again if needed on top of some wood or something similar. Your brother will find things slightly easier once he is out of the collar so I wouldn't rush into buying expensive software unless it is recommended for him as it is not easy to use at first.

One other idea might be a sit-stand table, they do what they say, and are very adjustable so you can also stand to work, again though as they are expensive that would be something to consider if it was part of his acces to work assessment.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    My first thought was learning to touch-type (there are many programmes available for that) and my second was Dragon. I know that the second option does take some to master, because the software has to 'learn' the voice of its 'owner', but for your brother I suspect it may be the better option. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Options
    I have found that with Dragon it was not so much training it to your voice, but learning how to make use of all it can do. I struggled at first when just trying to use it at home but what has made the difference is that as part of my access to work package I got 4 individual half-day training sessions. You can't get a trial demo as it's complex, but if you have an up to date computer and search under accessibility features you should find a basic package included and that might be a good way of seeing if it will suit him.
    Julian of Norwich
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Thank you dreamdaisy and Slosh for all your advice. Fortunately he doesn't have to wear a collar and just has a dressing on his neck which was changed yesterday by the District Nurse. It was his hairdresser who told him to wrap his neck in cling film, so I hope he keeps the dressing dry.

Janet