Spot the irony

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 24. Oct 2014, 11:43 in Community Chit-chat archive
I work for an "Inclusive" local authority. Tomorrow I have to attend a conference. As the venue is in the town centre which is mainly pedestrian, I emailed to find out about disabled parking. The reply was that there were disabled parking spaces in a nearby car park. However, this is about a 5-10 minutes walk away from the venue for most people, but not doable for me even with Fred and Ginger to help.
Luckily as the school I work at is quite close, the Head has agreed I can get a mini-cab to and from school and claim back the money.

What's the conference about? The new Special Needs and Disability Act!
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    They say laughter is the best medicine, and that must at least raise a sardonic smile :wink:
    Numpty
  • Slosh
    Options
    I agree. But typically I had a very bad night and woke up today feeling as if it was Friday afternoon so as I have much more important meetings later this week and knowing that spending a day sitting in uncomfortable conference room chairs would do nothing to help I have decided to take the day off.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze and amuse me how idiotic these things can be. :roll: Ipswich has a pedestrian-only town centre but there are dedicated disabled bays dotted all over the surrounding roads so it's easy to access any part of the town - it's a shame that this town can't be bothered to do the same. BB holders here are also allowed to drive along the main drag on two Sunday evenings before Christmas so we can see the illuminations. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    You couldn't make it up, could you? I know disability takes most of us by surprise but the amount of sheer thoughtlessness is quite breathtaking at times.

Hope things are a bit easier by now.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Our local town of Uxbridge is pedestrianised too and I find by the time I've walked from the parking spaces to the shops I'm warn out. I now only shop at the larger food shops where I can park directly outside.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Durham isn`t great for disabled folk either - I go into the town far less than I used to, and still they urge people to shop in the city centre. They put new, modern benches in the market place, which are far too low for the disabled to get up and down from. No arms on the ends of them either, for the likes of me, who needs at least one to pull myself up!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    :shock: oh slosh the world has gone mad..hope the meeting goes well for you...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Options
    I didn't make it as I woke up yesterday with that "it's not going to happen feeling" and the knowledge that it was more important to be in work today and tomorrow. Glad I didn't force yself, my colleague whowent said it was dreadful, several people went early and if I had gone to it she would have sent me home!
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Good old arthritis :lol: Just occasionally it helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    One has to have some perks.