Sero negative inflammatory arthritis

Options
Mary2014
Mary2014 Member Posts: 9
edited 1. Nov 2014, 08:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, this is my first posting,
I was told about 5 months ago that I have sero - negative inflammatory arthritis. My right knee swells up ,pains in my hands and a couple of fingers swell up also. lately I am having problems with my feet , swelling up and hot feeling on the sole of my feet.
I"m in a lot of pain at the moment, just taken some co-codomol to help with a good night sleep, as I have work tomorrow. Just wondered if there is anyone out there with same problems.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Mary and welcome :)

We have all too many on here with similar problems :roll: All auto-immune form of arthritis share basic similarities. Mine is RA which is sero-positive (usually) but, in any case where they're sure someone has an inflammatory arthritis but are not sure which type, that's the diagnosis – ie sero-positive or sero-negative inflammatory arthritis. It doesn't make much difference as the meds are the same.

Talking of which, what are you taking? I don't mean the pain dullers but the 'proper' meds. I'm on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine. They are the ones that keep the disease under some sort of control.

I hope your day is going OK. It sounds as if you wrote this last night but it's only just made it to the forum.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    There are quite a few of us on here, me included. :) I have psoriatic arthritis (PsA) which sometimes follows on from the skin trouble or can just happen then the skin joins in. I fall into the second category. Mine began in 1997 in my left knee.

I take it you were diagnosed by a rheumatologist? If so, what meds has he prescribed? I began with sulphasalazine in early 2002 and over the years I've tried many more. I am currently on a tripe therapy and if you are on any immuno-suppressing meds I hope you have been offered a 'flu jab, if not please ask for one. I take between two and six co-codamol 30/500 per day, the term 'pain dullers' is common on here because that is all they do, no matter how strong; they dull the sharper edges and no more. Feel free to ask any questions you like - no question is too silly or small, especially when one is new to all of this. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I am currently on a tripe therapy

:shock: :lol: The case of the disappearing consonant?

DD meant 'triple therapy', Mary :D
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh no! :oops: I sincerely apologise for that typo but it has set me wondering if tripe therapy would work better! :lol: DD
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hello Mary and welcome.

If you were diagnosed only 5 months ago, then you will still be taking in all the ramifications of an auto-immune disease. As others have said, I wonder what meds you have been given by your rheumatologist? There are, fortunately, lots of drug options out there, but the trouble is finding the right drug/combination of drugs which will work for you, and bring things under better control.

Finding the one which works can be a slow and frustrating process - or of course the right one may come along very quickly, it`s a bit like the luck of the draw.

We can all empathise with the pain you have, so good pain relief is important. I have RA, and was given two steroid injections in fairly quick succession to dampen things down while waiting for meds to kick in. The steroid jabs certainly helped me, temporarily. Have you access to a rheumy team, eg a rheumy nurse? They can be very supportive. And have you a follow-up appointment?

Please let us know how you go on,

Tezz x
  • Mary2014
    Options
    Thanks for all your useful comments, I was started off on sulfasalazine tablet 4 daily then increased to 5.
    I asked my GP recently if I could have a free flu jab, he said that I haven't got a medical condition that warrant a free flu jab he told
    me that I could have it done at local chemist for £8.
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi Mary and welcome to the forum :)

I have sero-negative arthritis too – PsA, which started in 1990. So yes, I'm another one who's familiar with all the pains and swellings.

I think the others have covered everything else, so I'll just add that I hope you were able to get a good night's sleep :)

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • emsjane
    emsjane Member Posts: 351
    Options
    Hi Mary,

I have been diagnosed with Seronegitive inflammatory arthritis too.

I'm on Methotrexate. 20mg a week. It is helping, although I was given this medicine quite late so a lot of damage already done to lots of joints! So the earlier you get meds the better!

I have arthritis in my hands, every finger most with two joints affected, neck, elbow both hips, knees a little bit and both feet painful and big toe joint on one foot! So nearly everywhere really!!! Lol. Oh and left shoulder recently!

So if you want any advice, I'll try to help!
    LOVE EMMA X
  • Mary2014
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for all your useful information, I am taking sulfasalazine ,5 tablets daily. I also take co-codomol for the pain. I asked my doctor about having flu jab, he told me that I"m not entitled to free flu jab but the local chemist does it for £8. I have"t got round to having it yet.
  • theresak
    Options
    I'm surprised your GP is saying you are not entitled to a flu jab - if you get an infection you will not be able to take your sulpha, therefore any means of avoiding them should be offered.

I was told I must have the flu jab soon after diagnosis, and the pneumonia vaccine as well.

You shouldn't have to pay for it, but if that's the only option it would be money well spent.

Tezz x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Mary, you should have the flu jab as our depressed immune systems don't handle flu well. If your GP is not willing to give it then try another GP in the practice, explaining that you're on sulph. Mine have not only always given one to me but also to my husband for my protection.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Your GP is showing a lack of basic medical knowledge, I presume you've been diagnosed by a rheumatologist who prescribed the sulph. It comes into the DMARD class of meds (disease modifying anti rheumatic drug) because it is an immuno-suppressant so you are entitled to a free 'flu jab, you meet the criteria. Please do not pay for one, there is no need. DD
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    My GP never gave me a flu jab whilst I was on DMARDs, it was only when I started methotrexate that they decided I fitted the bill. Even then, for the first couple of years I had to prove my case. Now I'ma regular and the nurse knows me and my condition well enough to not even give me the blurb about flu jabs and side effects - this week she did mention that it might make me ache and then looked at me and said 'but nothing compared to what you already feel I shouldn't think' :lol:

Anyway, hello from me too - I'm a sero neg arthritic - two possible diagnoses are AS and/ or something very similar but without the sero to rheumatoid itself. I've been in the head scratching category for fifteen years now and I think if they did give it an official title I'd be a bit worried, I've got used to the vagueness of it now.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    Options
    My GP never gave me a flu jab whilst I was on DMARDs, it was only when I started methotrexate that they decided I fitted the bill.

:? Methotrexate is a DMARD.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I meant whilst I was on other DMARDs. It was only once I got onto meth that they actually listened to my argument that I did qualify for a jab, before that it absolutely wasn't considered.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    Options
    That's interesting. Surely anything that works by suppressing the immune system should make us eligible for the flu jab. How odd!
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    Options
    We are eligible for the flu jab, but I think all GPs don`t see it this way - short-sightedness to say the least, and also incorrect policy.

Before my hubby was eligible by age he was advised to have it too, for my benefit.
  • lynnemarie1123
    lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
    Options
    Hullo xxx

I too have sero negative arthur! - been diagnosed since 2007 - although was present a lot earlier than that.

I too am on sulfa xx - and co-codamols - have they given you any anti inflammatories ?

I also have my flu jab every year (free)

although i am not having a good time of it at the moment, I need to say that I have had a few years in remission and felt fabulous - the sulfa did its job and I felt normal - so there is hope out there xx

I found a lot of the information about my condition myself as my consultant was v sketchy

my main area of pain is my lower back - which effects my sleep, walking, sitting and every moment of my life :-( xx - i have had other areas of pain and swelling - jaw, toes fingers, elbow etc the list goes on - they have come and gone - however my back is continuous

good luck with your journey xxxx
  • ELAINE55555
    ELAINE55555 Member Posts: 123
    Options
    I asked at my health centre if my hubby could also have a flu jab when I got mine, and was told that only people with chronic illness were entitled to a free one. ( I did not realise that I was chronically ill) :D:D
  • kirst74
    kirst74 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Hi Mary, welcome.
    I too have recently been told that I have sero negative arthritis.
    It was only a month ago for me and not definite yet in terms of diagnosis and not on treatment yet. I can appreciate how shocking it all is, how fast things physically seem to change and move. Hard to get the brain around sometimes and how others around us react to it all too. I am sure from what I have seen posted here - there are many with similar experiences and sure too that like I have, you will find support and wisdom here.
    Kirstyx
  • TeaBag
    TeaBag Member Posts: 101
    Options
    Mary2014 wrote:
    Hi, this is my first posting,
    I was told about 5 months ago that I have sero - negative inflammatory arthritis. My right knee swells up ,pains in my hands and a couple of fingers swell up also. lately I am having problems with my feet , swelling up and hot feeling on the sole of my feet.
    I"m in a lot of pain at the moment, just taken some co-codomol to help with a good night sleep, as I have work tomorrow. Just wondered if there is anyone out there with same problems.

I could have wrote that how are you coping now Mary ?