Scam or Genuine?

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 29. Oct 2014, 22:50 in Community Chit-chat archive
My sister rang. She'd had a leaflet from BT which suggested she could get some money off her phone bill but she needed to supply, amongst other things, an email address. Any email address would do. It didn't have to be hers. My sister doesn't have an email address. Indeed she doesn't have a computer or a TV. She is, to all intents and purposes, technophobic. She's not even good on a phone. She just talks over you :roll:

Anyway, assured it was from BT and kosher I supplied my email address to a background of “What's 'lower case' mean?” (My 5 yr old grandson could tell her.) “No gaps at all? ““What's an @ sign?” then went back to my lunch.

I immediately wondered what use my email would be to BT. I pondered the 'Any email address will do' and decided that, although I could see no point in it for BT, it would be of some use to a spammer. So I tried to ring her back to give her an email address I never use. Engaged. Left a message. After 15 minutes I called her back as she hadn't replied.

It turned out she'd already rung them back with my email address. She is sure it's OK as the note came with her bill on properly headed paper etc.

My question is: is it?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I`m not sure, to be honest Sticky. I`m not an expert on anything technical - I know enough not to open any mail which even looks suspicious, but that`s about as far as it goes. I suppose you may get lots of spam messages, but I think you need someone more au fait with these things than me.

I have two email addresses - one for only tried & trusted folk, and one for anyone else.

Sorry I`m not much help - I obviously need some of DD`s tripe therapy.

Tezz x
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    This does sound strange, Sticky. Is it possible that your sister misread the leaflet? Just a thought - could it have been one of these 'Introduce a Friend' things and get money off your bill? In that case, expect a hard sell!

If you're worried, I would ring BT (and good luck with that one - ask me how I know :roll: ) and check that it really is kosher.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh crikey, this is strange. Are you with BT? Could you ring them to check that this is genuine? I honestly don't know but I wonder how scammers could get in with a proper BT bill - if it is. :? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Thank you all.

I've googled and checked o the BT website where they mention email scams and phone scams but no postal ones. I think I shall just sit tight and hope. If anything untoward happens I shall just abandon that email address. I used to have one that I kept for the internet but it got too complicated when we changed service providers.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sorry SW I cant help there , maybe they are trying to cut down on paper work.. :?
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    B.T are trying to cut down on paper bills, they send my bills via my email. But in the cause of what has happened with your sister I would confirm it with B.T that they have sent mail out asking for an email address, if they confirm it fine otherwise don't do it! I'm very dubious about any mail or email that asks for your personal information especially bank details if it's a company I deal with I always phone them and confirm that they sent the email or letter asking for the details if they have fine otherwise I bin it!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Did anything happen Stickywicket???

:?
  • stickywicket
    Not yet :D
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I've not seen any postal scams apart from those that claim an attempt was made to deliver a parcel, nobody was at home so you need to call back to arrange a new delivery . They give a premium number to call back on.

This sounds like she has received a general leaflet highlighting the possibility of a reduction in phone costs but I have no idea why an email alone would qualify her for any reduction! Direct Debits yes but not email.

Seeing as it is your email you will receive all the information and have to deal with the next step whatever that may be. I suppose you will have to just be careful if any email looks suspicious,

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I suspect they are just trawling for email addresses to stick on their database and use for advertising their wares then after a while selling to others. By sending in the address you agree to receive rubbish emails.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Sounds to me like a 3rd party company working on behalf of BT to lock customers into a new contract. Bt often use 3rd parties to advertise deals by post.