Battle of the new sharps bin.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 30. Oct 2014, 14:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have had a real tussle with my meth sharps bin - I won but in a very unsatisfactory manner bearing in mind how they stress the nastier aspect of this medication.

The top of the bin is divided into two sections, both oval in shape. On the left there is a shape like the outline of a key cut into the purple plastic, to the right the oval is like a sun-burst, with fairly rigid strips of purple plastic. I duly stabbed and then the shenanigans began. :roll:

It was immediately apparent that, although the needle and barrel of the syringe would pass through the key shape, the finger supports either side of the plunger would not. Withdrew and considered the other side. I pushed the needle and barrel through the sunburst but could not shove the supports through because the plastic was too rigid. My temper was now beginning to slide so I withdrew the syringe and shoved the thing through supports first. Far from ideal, I know, but I was leaking a little blood and it was stinging like no-one's business which always distracts one. :roll: I was briefly reminded of Playschool viz. the bit with the windows. :wink: Next week I shall equip myself with something broad and hefty (such as our meat tenderiser) and use that to force the supports through the sunburst, needle and barrel first. Or I could ask Mr DD to cut away the plastic strips - once it's sealed it's sealed so no harm done on that front.

Who designs these blasted things? Obviously its twerps with fully-functioning wrists and fingers, mine are reasonably good but I lack strength. I am peeved. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I had the same bin DD hen I had my THR..even my hubby had trouble with it..like you say the design is crackers ..surly they can come up with something safe and user friendly.. :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    It is daft isn't it, Barbara? I have, however, solved it. Whilst watching telly as I waited for the sting to die away I pressed back the bits of plastic so I now have a lovely, wide opening which will take the lot in one go. Simples. :) I prefer my former design though, that had an easy-to-operate rectangular sliding lid, revealing a broad opening. My humira one is a drum shape which quickly fills because the pens loll around and I can't get my fingers in (obviously) to straighten them. :roll: It's all a bit of a faff. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I was going to suggest that maybe AC could organise a 'Design a Sharps Bin' competition.

My solution would be to wrap it in SuperTripe for easy sliding :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Mine is the old type, with the rectangular sliding bit. The real problem is getting H@H to remember to bring a new one when the old one is full.
  • dreamdaisy
    Flaming Norah. The sore throat is back, not by much but it's there. I shall humira regardless, however, because my mobility is far from being at a useful level. DD
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I was given a sharps bin that will probably last me a decade. I was always given small ones in the past until my last request for one which landed me with one bigger than my GP has :o

DD I hope the sore throat slinks off - have you tried a tripe gargle? I have just done three weeks of meth through a lingering cold but I decided a week off the meth wasn't an option. It's not a fun choice to make but sometimes a cold/ sore throat is the lesser of two evils...there is no evil like an arthritic evil.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    how is it going they give you the bin to send you around the bins,
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    I think I've mastered it, Joan, by breaking the top. :) I am injecting tomorrow and hopefully it will go OK. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Well, the disposal of the syringe was OK but I also got around to unpacking my meth delivery which turned out to be pens. On sight I don't think they will fit the bins I have. :roll: DD