Rhummey Appt update

Options
bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 29. Oct 2014, 11:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
Sorry I couldn't get on yesterday Internet was down due to storm! Had a lovely consultant see me at the hospital. He made such sense and now my head is clearer about what's going on! Had my blood pressure checked 1st and the nurse said it's in my boots and to be careful getting up to quickly as I would make myself pass out! that made sense of the feeling dizzy last few days! The consultant said my major pain is down my left side (left shoulder, left hip and left knee) which is how R.A usually goes and where my flare up is located. My left shoulder and hip is very swollen. That is what he thinks is causing my extreme Anaemia. He has now put me on Sulfasalazine as well as staying on Hydro. He also gave me a depo injection to help with the pain at the moment. I'm to see him again in December and see my G.P in a fortnight.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That doesn't sound quite right to me, bubbadog. RA usually affects both sides but, if you're flaring, it makes sense to add the sulph and a jab. Has he suggested a course of iron tabs then? What's causing the low BP?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    bubba so glad it was a good appointment,you never know when you go along to these things..I hope now things are clearer you will get some proper help..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Options
    What's causing the low BP?

Dumbo me :lol: That would be the anaemia, wouldn't it?
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to us, Bubba, I was beginning to wonder where you were! It's very unusual for RA to be so one-sided, it's normally bi-lateral. When my auto-immune inflammatory arthritis began (and that was my label for some years) it went for one joint, then after a while the parallel one. My progression was left knee, right knee, right ankle, left ankle, toes on one then on the other, etc. The time gap between each progression narrowed as it developed, it was three years between the knees then increasingly quicker. :roll:

I think you were on a small dose of hydroxy, yes? I guess you'll be starting with one sulph tablet per morning, then gradually building week-on-week to the dose he wants you take, which is? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I`m glad you had a satisfactory appointment, Bubba, and will be have a follow-up appointment relatively soon.

Hope the depo and the sulfa help you.

Tezz x
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Glad to hear you got some answers and a plan, and also good that you're going to be reviewed again in December.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi Bubba;

Glad you had a good appointment and now hopefully, you can relax a little.
    I also have anemia that is chronic and caused by inflammation. It is not the kind that can be remedied by iron tablets, but instead by controlling inflammation.

Best wishes, hope you are enjoying some cat-therapy now.

Anna
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    That sounds like an on the ball Rheumy. I hope the meds help. I always start one sidedly for some reason and the general rule is left for upper body and right for lower body. I'm not sure why but I could say that about most things arthritis. Good luck ((((((()))))))
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • bubbadog
    Options
    That doesn't sound quite right to me, bubbadog. RA usually affects both sides but, if you're flaring, it makes sense to add the sulph and a jab. Has he suggested a course of iron tabs then? What's causing the low BP?

Sorry didn't explain properly, my flare is affecting the left side, my R.A is effecting my upper joints while the Osteoporosis is in my lower joints and both hips and lower back at the moment. G.P is holding on for the results of 2nd blood test before doing anything.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Boomer13 wrote:
    Hi Bubba;

Glad you had a good appointment and now hopefully, you can relax a little.
    I also have anemia that is chronic and caused by inflammation. It is not the kind that can be remedied by iron tablets, but instead by controlling inflammation.

Best wishes, hope you are enjoying some cat-therapy now.

Anna

That's exactly what the consultant said my anaemia is linked to the inflammation and is being controlled by the inflammation. Glad you posted this as I was getting confused by what the others said about them getting Iron Tablets and my G.P holding off doing anything until the 2nd lot of blood tests results are in front of her.
    Loving the Arnie & Willow love but Arnie is getting jealous of Willow getting cuddles and has been lashing out at Willow so he is on the Naughty step at the moment!!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Ah, that does make more sense if the RA is on both sides.

I'm still a bit confused about the osteoporosis though.I though it was called 'The Silent Disease precisely because there were no symptoms until bones start breaking. Certainly I've never had any symptoms from mine. Do you actually get pain with yours?
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    My seriously grumpy cat is permanently on the naughty step for biting me. She is only nice when playing with the bubbles in my bath, other than that apparently I look very like a mouse. Enjoy your cuddles - my pooch cuddles make everything feel a bit less scary, or at least a bit more hairy :lol:
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • bubbadog
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Thanks for getting back to us, Bubba, I was beginning to wonder where you were! It's very unusual for RA to be so one-sided, it's normally bi-lateral. When my auto-immune inflammatory arthritis began (and that was my label for some years) it went for one joint, then after a while the parallel one. My progression was left knee, right knee, right ankle, left ankle, toes on one then on the other, etc. The time gap between each progression narrowed as it developed, it was three years between the knees then increasingly quicker. :roll:

I think you were on a small dose of hydroxy, yes? I guess you'll be starting with one sulph tablet per morning, then gradually building week-on-week to the dose he wants you take, which is? DD

Sorry for getting back on this one for you DD, Started on one a day and today start 2 a day for a week until I think it's either 3 or 4 tablets sorry! Not having meds to hand can't tell you but will let you know. Hydro was on 20mg twice a day.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Ah, that does make more sense if the RA is on both sides.

I'm still a bit confused about the osteoporosis though.I though it was called 'The Silent Disease precisely because there were no symptoms until bones start breaking. Certainly I've never had any symptoms from mine. Do you actually get pain with yours?

I only get main pain from trauma sites, right knee cracked my knee cap, back broke coaxes and left foot broke. I do seem to break toes easily from spasms. The more dull pain is from weight baring taking weight on almost china legs!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Bubbadog, I'd no idea you had such severe osteoporosis :shock: How long have you had it and what do you take for it? It sounds as if you have many broken bones.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 20yrs ago remember being in hospital with my OH and getting the results of the bone density scan and realising my life wouldn't be the same after then. I'm not on any drugs because in the Consultants words 'my bones are past any help and all they can offer is pain management'. That was his actual words!! I remember hearing that like it was yesterday and I just crumpled. I told my OH to divorce me because he deserved better then having me for a wife! I said that while the Doctors, O.T and social worker where with us.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I think that's a dreadful thing to say to a young woman. It removes any hope. Why not Alendronic Acid which we know encourages new bone growth? Even prunes are supposed to do that which is why I dose myself on them daily.

Twenty years ago is a long time. Has no-one, since then, suggested anything?

Marriage vows include 'in sickness and in health'. We are all more than the sum of our diseases.
    Steven Wright