Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Only I could do it!!

bubbadogbubbadog Posts: 5,852
edited 1. Nov 2014, 11:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well yesterday evening I was moaning that my left little finger was hurting, I hadn't looked at it properly since the afternoon just slightly red and inflamed. My husband takes a look and it's purple extremely swollen and broken!! So now I'm splinted and tapped up. Only I could ignore a broken little finger! I'm pretty sure it was because of the amount of pain meds, an injection and tablets that it didn't register with me!

Comments

• Boomer13Boomer13 Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh no, Bubba! Not what you needed at all!! (((())))
  • stickywicketstickywicket Posts: 25,998 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that, bubbadog. I hope it recovers soon.

No, you're not the only one. I once walked round for three days on a broken hip (It was hard graft :lol: ) and wasn't even on strong dullers – but I did curse the mild cocos for being ineffective :roll:
    “There is always a well-known solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong.” H.L. Mencken
  • dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,567 ✭✭✭
    Bubba, are you sure it's broken? Did you go to A&E for an Xray to confirm your diagnosis? My concern is that you may be doing yourself more harm with a self-fixed splint because how can you tell you've set the bone correctly? You obviously have fragile bones so I hope you sought medical help. Pain-relief is necessary but to have possible levels in you that you can't feel a pain like that is not good - pain is useful feedback for things being wrong. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadogbubbadog Posts: 5,852
    Yes went to A&E and saw a nurse practitioner who sent me for x-rays and I've a small break below the knuckle, so she's splinted it and strapped it. It's good they have a small injures section at my hospital so you don't have to wait long and they have Nurse Practitioners running it. I have to see my G.P in 4 weeks time to check on it. My Doctors had a load of work done it that was finished 6 months ago and now they have a small operations section mainly for vasectomies and small surgeries and they have a couple of x-ray machines and their own in-house Pharmacy!! All state of the art now.
  • barbara12barbara12 Posts: 20,943 ✭✭
    bubba I hope its less painful now it has been strapped up..good that you have a small injuries department..
    Love
    Barbara