Bendy Fingers

Options
Bradders
Bradders Member Posts: 5
edited 10. Nov 2014, 07:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have started getting nodules in my fingers and now they are starting to bend is there anything i can do to help this or stop, any exercises at all getting witches fingers :?:

Comments

• charleeh
    charleeh Member Posts: 173
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,

I went to see a hand therapist who gave me special exercises to prevent me losing too much movement in my hands - and I got plastic splints made from a material called orfit (I think it was called that).

Maybe you can ask for a referral ?

My splints stopped my wrists from bending too much - maybe they could make a finger one ?

Hope you find something

Best wishes,
    Charleeh
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I have the hand splints and also exercise my hands with a rubber ball, its important to keep them moving..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Tia1723
    Tia1723 Bots Posts: 43
    Options
    My mum has slightly bend fingers too. She drops off the things easily and gets awful cramps when trying to grip. I read, the first sign is usually the formation of small nodules in the palm of the hand (mostly affecting ring and little finger), and finally the fingers become useless :cry: . I don’t know any remedy but the operation :? .

My mum’s friend also got the same but got it operated few years back. It was small operation with small risk. However, I remember consultant advising her that it is preferable to wait with surgery until the fingers can no longer be stretched. After the operation the fingers can be reactivated with rehabilitation and exercises.

Love,Tia.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    That sounds similar to Dupuytrens........don't know if it is disease or what
    Quite a few years ago I had /have nodules on the palms of my hand. They seem to be below both ring fingers.
    The GP noticed them and mentioned them when I was there for something else......he said that there was nothing that could be done until the tips of my fingers started bending in.....then mention it again and there is an operation that can be done.
    Mine aren't sore....a bit unsightly but that's all
    A few other doctors/consultants/ even the physiotherapist has mentioned it when I've been there for a completely unrelated thing :?
    Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    My RA started in my fingers, I've never had any ops on them and they do look very odd, each in its own individual way :lol: , but they are by no means useless.

In fact, on the one occasion when I saw a hand surgeon he said it was pointless to operate because, by then, I had little pain in them and could still do quite a lot.

We are all different. Things progress differently and at different rates.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright