Jaw Pain

Options
Rarmst17
Rarmst17 Member Posts: 9
edited 10. Nov 2014, 06:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

I haven't been on here in a long while so I do hope your all keeping well :)

I'm looking for some advice. I have inflammatory arthritis and it has been in my jaw for several months. Can't yawn or brush my teeth properly as I can't open my mouth most of the time. My rheum said he would refer me to facial surgeon as rheum wouldn't give an injection in the face.

I have yet to see anyone and wondered if anyone else has suffered this and what their experience was of treatment/recovery.

Hope to hear from you.

Many thanks

Rachael
Dont look back because that's not where your going

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Jaw pain affects quite a few on here, mine can be affected when I flare badly and it's far from fun, but because mine has been transitory I haven't sought help. It may be worth doing a search on here to see if any relevant threads appear: like yourself many come on here when they need help so it cannot be guaranteed that those with answers may be around. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I get the jaw pain periodically, plus the stiffness which means I can only open my mouth to a limited extent. I cope with it by taking painkillers, NSAIDs and eating soft, mushy foods.

I was told that an injection into the jaw would bring a risk of Bells Palsy, not that I fancied one anyway!

My dentist is aware of the problem and manages to do a good job looking after my teeth.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I have arthritis in my jaw but it's not painful although it must be a nightmare for my dentist.

If you put 'Jaw Pain' into the Arthritis Care search engine above, several old threads come up.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tia1723
    Tia1723 Bots Posts: 43
    Options
    Hi, sorry for you honey. Jaw pain could be intolerable. Have you tried pain-dullers? At-least they can give you a temporary pain relief to perform your regular chores like brushing. If it is too painful, to open mouth for eating or brushing, try applying an ice pack to the side of your face and temple area for about 10 minutes and then have a dinner of soft, mushy foods. Avoid chewy, hard items.

Alternatively you can also massage your affected muscles with a heat pad, such as a hot water bottle (filled with warm but not boiling water) wrapped in a cloth or towel. Ask your dentist/facial surgeon, if you need physical therapy or massage. hope it helps.

Tia.