No more fireworks please

Options
LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 8. Nov 2014, 06:48 in Community Chit-chat archive
I realise that it will probably go on all this week and through to next weekend but please, no more and if we have to have them what about a few more whooshy sparkles and a few less BANGs? It's so loud. I have one panting terrified dog (one sleeping oblivious dog as well to be fair) and a confused cat and toddlers.
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm a bit fed up of the fireworks too LV.Sometimes there seems to be a competition as to who can produce the loudest bangs. Our first dog, a hyperactive Springer Spaniel, hated fireworks and took refuge under the dining-room table every year, barking sporadically all night. The second dog, a Golden Retriever, lay all night ignoring the racket and snoozing contentedly.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Not sure where you two live but Divalli was the week before half-term and is also an occasion for fireworks and the festival lasts for 5 days. In general though I do think things are better than they were a few years ago when loads of "shops" would suddenly open up in October selling fireworks, and every newsagent seemed to sell them.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    My sister used to have a Border Collie who had been brought to the surgery (She was an animal nurse) having been found in a ditch in a thunderstom with a broken leg. Despite newspaper adverts no-one claimed her so my sister adopted her. We always knew when a storm was imminent as she'd cower, trembling all over, in a corner and she always had to be sedated for what was then, luckily, merely Bonfire Night
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    I used to have a golden Labrador and she was frightened out her wits with fireworks, she used to cower behind a chair and shook from head to tail poor thing, I feel so sorry for animals at this time of year. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    Last night poor Jess was in such a state I got close to thinking sedatives were the only option. There was a big display at a local football club and IT went on and on. The girls found it frightening even when we showed the fireworks out of the window. The plus side is it convinced Mr LV that we will not be having any of our own fireworks this year so that's some money saved! The dodgy shops still pop up around Manchester with Ned sheets for signs I assume the new law hasn't reached here or is just being ignored and unpoliced!
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,927
    Options
    Hello LV
    our dogs dont like them the pup runs to the patio door and barks.
    my old dog used to get on my lap and i would cover her with a fleece.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I feel for the animals because they terrify me, these are not fireworks they are bombs :shock: ...the house shakes when they go off..I am sure these should not be sold other than for displays ..I do love going to bonfires and seeing the fireworks , its a shame they can be bought for months before hand..
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    LV My 2 rugrats aren't enjoying the fireworks, last night was the worst being bonfire night, we did our best by having the telly turned up and giving them lots of fuss. We locked the catflap till 10pm when it all calmed down. I really detest fireworks people don't realise how much stress they cause to animals and babies. I wish they where banned all year except for bonfire night and new years eve.
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    I ended up speaking to the vet because jess was so traumatised. She now has some special pills which aren't tranquillisers. From what I can gather they seem to be legal highs but they work and she is much calmer. The girls have got used to it all and so has the over confident cocky cat.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    Hello LV
    joan xx

Aww!!!!

Daisycat doesn't like them either and I worry she might get hurt so I bolt the cat flap really early this time of year.

Luckily we had rain and plenty of it last night ;)

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    dachshund wrote:
    Hello LV
    joan xx

Aww!!!!

Daisycat doesn't like them either and I worry she might get hurt so I bolt the cat flap really early this time of year.

Luckily we had rain and plenty of it last night ;)

Love

Toni xxx

We have locked our catflap from 6pm till 10pm most of this week and Arnie hides under my furry throw, I have to put either foot either side of the poof and he curls up in the middle well snug. As for willow she goes inside her igloo bed. I'll be so glad when it's over then we will have a short break till New Years Eve!!