PAIN CLINIC APPOINTMENT

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 14. Nov 2014, 16:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
I have an appointment at the pain clinic on Tuesday.
Its going to be interesting :roll:

I haven't seen him for over a year....in fact there was no sign of another appointment.

What happened was my Ortho had seen me and was dictating a letter to the GP while I was still there.
One of the things he said was "she is under the care of the pain clinic".......I shook my head so he stopped dictating. I told him.....next thing I had an appointment for the pain clinic :lol:
I had my 2nd THR in Jan this year. It was approx. Sept last year that I saw him. He talked about my back and said that there was nothing could be done about the kypho scoliosis but I would need a 2nd THR eventually so I might as well have it and it MIGHT help my back as well.......he did stress MIGHT.

Well since that...I've had the 2nd THR, Fractured Greater Trochanter Bone, Told I'll be on crutches the rest of my life.......He'll have a lot to take in since he last saw me :lol:

Wish me luck on Tuesday and hope he comes up with some pain dullers although this cortisone injection seems to be working.
You can only have a few of them cant you?

Love
Hileena

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hope it's a positive appointment. You deserve it.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Slosh
    Thanks for that......I hope so as well :wink:

Love

Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hope it goes well, Hileena, and you get something positive out of it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hope he can help Hileena you deserve a bit of luck. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Good luck with the appointment, Hileena.

In my experience, they like to keep cortisone injections to about six months apart, although my own rheumy has given me two in fairly quick succession when things were tough. She always gives the maximum dosage too.

Tezz x
  • hileena111
    Options
    I had a feeling it was 6 months but don't know where I got that from :lol: Have no idea of the dosage??? Must ask the next time I see him.
    Thanks Sticky, Marie and Tezz.........are you going to be in my pocket again on Tuesday???? I'll probably be on my own this time.

Love
    Hileena
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Count me in Hileena I will be there can't have you causing mayhem on your own :wink: xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Hope it goes well for you on Tuesday, Hileena and that you find it helpful. I'll be in your pocket.

My GP told me that I could have three cortisone injections in a year into the same joint, but I've had two injections within the space of three months when the first one didn't work. Unfortunately, the second one hasn't worked either :shock: but hey ho! I'm afraid I don't know the dosage. It's good that your injection appears to be working. Take care.

Meg
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    Bit of an update on the injection.......One of the things that was really bothering me before it, was sleeping on my left side.
    My pelvic bone....agony!!! If I slept on the other side I automatically rolled on to the left side {the one I favour}and that wakened me immediately.

For the first 2 weeks after it. It was great......I slept on that side with no problem and no pain.

The past 2 nights I've wakened at 5am and then 6am......with that bone sore again.
    That's still better because I couldn't lie on it before at all.

After the first 2 weeks I thought it was working with not having any pain at night and getting a decent nights sleep.......bliss
    Pain everywhere else :lol: but I'm used to that :lol:

Now....not sure what to think.....I see him in 3 to four weeks and will tell him.

Its the pain clinic tomorrow and I don't think he'll interfere with it.
    I'll post an update after I see Dr Coe tomorrow
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I hope the appointment is helpful, Hileena, and that you are given some help with pain relief. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Hello Hileena
    i hope you get some help you have been through a lot.
    good luck
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I will have everything crossed for you Hileena..you really do need some relief from all this...will be thinking about you xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    Options
    I'll be there Hileena - hope it goes well. I can't sleep on my left side because of the trochanteric bursitis. It cleared up for a while after a guided injection, but has once again reared its ugly head.

Tezz x
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

I hope very much this is a useful appointment for you and of course I'm happy to perform pocket duties, with plenty of chocolate biscuits :)

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks you everyone for your support.
    DD Don't know what pain relief he can come up with but I can always hope :wink:
    Joan.....Thanks
    Barbara.....be careful what you cross :lol: your fingers are OK aren't they? Don't want anyone making things worse :lol:
    Phee.......more choccie biscuits........fantastic. I'll be getting fatter :lol: Or will the rest have eaten them before I get a chance :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • phoenixoxo
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Phee.......more choccie biscuits........fantastic. I'll be getting fatter :lol: Or will the rest have eaten them before I get a chance :lol:

Well, luckily I'd brought a mega-pack this time, so we managed to save a few for you – just :lol:

I hope the appointment went well :)

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    Well the appointment was nothing out of the ordinary.
    At least he has now caught up with all that has happened since I last saw him. :wink:
    The other thing is I'm now on the radar :lol:
    As for any pain killers/dullers
    The best is that he suggested I have a chat with my GP and talk over medicines with her. I said she wasn't one for a chat like that......If you remember she was the one who tried to dissuade me from going to a pain clinic in the first place. :x
    So in his letter to her he is going to suggests she prescribes a morphine based one if the pain gets worse.
    I don't really want morphine but if I need it at least she has been told to prescribe it.
    When I get my copy letter I'll post again and say what meds he advised if it was necessary.
    Said the only patches {when I asked} were fenatyl??????spelling and they were a steroid. That's what I'm trying to avoid ...one side effect is crumbling bones............they are bad enough now :lol:
    He suggested another one....forgotten the name and he looked it up.........sorry it is contra indicated.....{epilepsy tablets}
    I always thought that if there was a chance they MIGHT clash I wasn't going to take them because 33 years is a long time to be clear......dont want to lose my licence.
    He put another twist on it.....if it causes a seizures.....you have had 2 THR's, 1 greater trochanter bone which is fractured and osteoporosis.....so if you did fall......you could fracture something else quite easily. So he's going to be careful about how they interact with other tablets.
    So that's about it really.
    Love
    Hileena
    Oh.....got a couple of crumbs Phee......thanks :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's so complicated when we have other conditions apart from arthritis but he sounded to be thorough which is a good thing. I am not surprised that there was not much on offer for you pain-relief wise, disappointed yes, surprised no. :( Fentanyl is the word you were after, I don't know much about them but the steroid element has taken me aback. If you need the strong stuff then you need the strong stuff and your GP must accept that need, surely it's part of her brief. I sorted out my meds drawer the other day and found that all my tramadol tablets had expired in 2012 - just as well I haven't taken any! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    It's good that the Pain Clinic are liaising with your GP, especially ifthey are providing a bit of ammo in your favour :wink:

I add my surprise to DD's. I'm pretty sure fentanyl is an opiod not a steroid. In fact, when I checked, I discovered it's "approximately 80 to 100 times more potent than morphine and many times more potent than heroin." :shock: :shock: :shock: I think you're well off it, Hileena :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hileen at least like the others have said your pain clinic is liaising with your GP and being careful..I was told the morphine was a last resort and there would be nothing after that..I do have the patches but don't always use them..I think the injection has been a success so hopefully they will be able to do another very soon..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    Options
    Glad he was so thorough, Eileen - all you want is to feel the medics are listening and trying their best for you.

It's such a tightrope, balancing drugs we need with the effects they may cause. Since my PHN has been flaring so nastily my GP has suggested Gabapentin, but quite honestly I really don't want yet another drug in the mix, so will have to grin and bear it.

Tezz x
  • phoenixoxo
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Oh.....got a couple of crumbs Phee......thanks :lol:

Hi Hileena,

Well, that's a bit of a mystery about the leftover biscuits. All I can think is that the doc must've pickpocketed them as we were all on our way out the door :o:lol:

I think we might forgive the theft, though, as it's good that he's up for a bit of liaison with your GP. I hope they're able to come up with suitable pain relief for you :)

Best wishes,
    Phee
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    I'll find out more when I get the copy letter.... :wink:
    He's lovely and very helpful.
    He also said "if I write to the GP and advise stronger painkillers IF necessary {he knows I don't want them but as a stand by} he if she has that letter in front of her she is more likely to prescribe them then the blame will fall on him not her :lol:

Tezz Gabapentin is another one I cant take....its an anti convulsant as well as other things so that would mess up the ones I take....... probably overdose :roll:

DD Had to laugh at your tramadol LOL.....That just reminded me I have got oromorph in my med drawer that hasn't been used and I wouldn't....Not sure of the expiry date
    :? That's from when I fractured my pelvis and SI joint and she gave them to me but monitored them very strictly.....well not that strictly otherwise I wouldn't have any there :lol:
    I don't want to take any more meds.
    Hopefully the cortisone injection will keep on working
    He mentioned the nerve block injection and the facet joint injections he had tried and they didn't work.
    If this doesn't work I might ask about acupuncture again???
    We'll see
    Thanks everyone
    Love
    Hileena
  • JamesFoote
    JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
    Options
    My doctor has put me on morphine untill things get sorted.

I read an amazing artical about addiction and what it is and after reading it I felt so much better about taking this drug.

The big thing is I don't take it every day or anything like it is good to know it is there and if I am talking to people and meds come up there reaction when you say you are on morphine, this happened when I was asked to help build a fence no one of my syndigate waters Nd I said I could not.

Don't worry about the drugs you need because if you need them then you need them.

Wishing you well

James
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thanks James
    I know if I need them I'll need them......but it will be a last resort
    The time I fractured my pelvis for about a week I was in agony {it was sore the rest of the time} but this one period was dreadful and I had no hesitation in taking morphine then.
    The pain isn't that bad.
    My main problem with this fracture is that I couldn't sleep onb my left side because the pelvic bone was really sore when I put any pressure on it. I wasn't getting sleep but still trying to do the same amount of things the next day with little sleep.
    That's the side I favour when sleeping so even when I managed to get to sleep on the other side I would roll over and that would waken me....no matter how many times I managed to sleep on the ringht side I ALWAYS rolled over on to the other side...even with pillows propping me up
    So this cortisone seems to have helped this and at least I can sleep now....that is a big bonus
    Thanks for your reply
    Love
    Hileena