of those who gave their lives
as they fought to keep our freedom,
made the greatest sacrifice.
But they shall never die,
all those boys and men
because upon Armistice Day
we will remember them.

Kathleen Thorpe

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thoughtful and moving.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    That is so lovely Kath thanks for sharing it...its so sad that nothing has been learned :( x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Thank you for that. It's a subject close to my heart. Who is your favourite WW1 poet? I guess John McCrea's 'In Flanders' Field' is the best known one but I prefer Wilfred Owen.

I've never been to the Somme but spent some time in Ieper (Ypres) and, as well as writing some poetry about it (snap :wink: ) and visiting what I regard as the most moving museum ever (In Flanders' Field Museum, Ieper) ,I gathered the following, appalling figures:

In the Ieper Salient 1914-1918 (Allies figures only)

Number of men whose bodies were never found who are
    commemorated on the Menin Gate 54,896

Number of men whose bodies were never found who are
    commemorated at Tyne Cot Cemetery 34,984

Age of the oldest soldier executed ‘by military officers’ in the Ieper Salient 62

Age of the youngest soldier executed ‘by military officers’ in the Ieper Salient 15

Metres gained for every 35 soldiers killed 1

Days of world peace after ‘the war to end all wars’ 0
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    Options
    Desperate figures, Sticky. We like Ypres very much & have visited a number of times. I defy anyone to visit In Flanders Field museum and not be affected by it. Likewise the Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate, or Tyne Cot.

Such an appalling waste. My grandfather came home - one of the lucky ones.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Kath your poem is very moving,i am going on an organised tour on friday of the poppies in london and i will think of your poem15479594827_0f20fa8c3b_m.jpg
    This young man was called Jack Jacobs,its one of the photos i took in Tyne Cot cemetery,he's not related but i found not just this one but all the graves very moving,i have researched him and he was just 21 when he was killed in august 1917,he was born and lived in Bow in London with his parents.
  • mig
    Options
    15479993800_de2f5cde89_m.jpg
    These three young men are my great uncles and they are cousins, of the two standing one was killed in what was mesopotainia (now Iraq )he has no known grave, his name is on the memorial there .The other young man standing was killed in Flanders,His name is on the Menin Gate.The one sat down fought and was badly injured ,he came home and was able to marry and have a family but died in 1928 his death certificate states that he died of pneumonia and wounds received. Mig
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Kathleen xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • charleeh
    charleeh Member Posts: 173
    Options
    Thats a lovely poem :)

I wish I'd been able to visit the poppy display at the tower of london.

I have a x2 great uncle who died in ww1 Walter Bailey. He died leaving behind his children and pregnant wife, she had the baby a couple of days before he was killed. He was one of the 1st to be sent over as he was already in the Army before the war started. I doubt he'd have known she had the baby. He's buried in a cemetery in the middle of France - I hope to visit him some day.

I think if more people find out what their families contributed to the war efforts (all wars) it makes it more personal and more 'real'.

again, beautiful poem

best wishes,
    Charleeh
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options
    We have a local WWI hero in Nottingham's Albert Ball. As I'm sure many places do. This short piece about him was taken from Wikipedia

"Raised in Nottingham, Ball joined the Sherwood Foresters at the outbreak of the First World War and was commissioned as a second lieutenant in October 1914. He transferred to the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) the following year, and gained his pilot's wings on 26 January 1916. Joining No. 13 Squadron RFC in France, he flew reconnaissance missions before being posted in May to No. 11 Squadron, a fighter unit. From then until his return to England on leave in October, he accrued many aerial victories, earning two Distinguished Service Orders and the Military Cross. He was the first ace to become a British popular hero.

After a period on home establishment, Ball was posted to No. 56 Squadron, which deployed to the Western Front in April 1917. He crashed to his death in a field in France on 7 May, sparking a wave of national mourning and posthumous recognition, which included the award of the Victoria Cross for his actions during his final tour of duty. His most renowned enemy, Manfred von Richthofen, remarked upon hearing of Ball's death that he was "by far the best English flying man"

He was 20 years old. There is a magnificent statue in honour of him, in the grounds of Nottingham Castle.

One of my grandfathers - Arthur Tomlin - came home, and went on to fight in WWII, in Africa. He never spoke of his experiences.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Thank you, Kathleen, you have stirred some memories. My father's father came home from WW1 but had been gassed: he died in 1934 when my Pa was fourteen and he became the 'head' of the family despite not being the eldest son (the one who held that title was a charmer but not reliable). Pa left school (which he loved) and went to work, turning over most of his pay to his Mum to supplement the 10 shilling per week war widow's pension from a 'grateful government'. In modern times that equates to 50p, she had to pay rent, utilities, provide food and clothing for herself and their seven children. Pa's money helped things to stretch that little bit further.

Come the Second World War Pa was drafted at the age of nineteen. He was at Tobruk but was one of the 'backroom boys' - he was confined to a typewriter ordering supplies (before you scoff someone had to, touch-typing was a peace-time but useful war-time skill). Mr DD's father was also at Tobruk but he was in the front line and taken prisoner by the Germans. We discovered this on the first occasion that both sets of parents met, initially it was an awkward meeting but after a rather good lunch (with wine) the dads began to talk and the rest of us sat back and listened intently: for the first time their wives and offspring were hearing about events which had been firmly locked away because neither had anyone in whom to confide.

I was staggered by the mealy-mouthed comments of The Guardian's critic about the display at the Tower. Many people died in both world wars to afford him the freedom to be so condescending and smug - he should remember that but won't, he takes it for granted. Many of us don't. My Ma was a poppy seller for over twenty five years and I am wearing her special poppy sent to her by the RBL to mark her efforts. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    Options
    I wear my poppy with pride always have and always will,this year i have a ceramic one that i brought Ypes museum. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    My Dad's eldest brother died at Gallipoli aged 27. It was an utter farce. The senior officer had chosen to command the landing from the sloop HMS Jonquil but as the landing was in progress, he went to sleep. His performance in command was considered one of the most incompetent feats of generalship of the First World War.

My uncle, a former teacher who joined the OTC when war broke out, had just been made captain. The report says all the junior officers led from the front. Most were killed.

I have never felt bitter about my arthritis. I consider it the luck of the draw. But I do feel bitter about this needless, pointless, useless death of an uncle I never got to meet.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    Options
    My granda never talked much about the war. He did his training miles from home & then was shipped across the channel. I remember him telling us how they had to stand guard at a stand-pipe in a French village so the soldiers could get water in the face of French grumbles. He always referred to Ieper as ' Wipers, ' & Amiens as 'Amens.'
  • mig
    Options
    Kath i know of Albert Ball and his statue in the castle grounds is lovely i just hope they leave it alone when they re-model the grounds,i believe its something to do with english heritage and turning it into a money making operation.Mig
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options
    Wow, I feel so humble to think that my little poem and comments about Albert Ball have elicited such amazing memories for all of you. How proud you must feel of your various families. Thank you for sharing them.

DD, I can't understand how or why people scoff at someone doing such important war work as ordering supplies. What a shame that your Pa had to give up school, but I expect his education was much tougher when he was drafted.

I can't help but wonder how many of the younger people of today would make such sacrifices to support their families and their country. I never read the Guardian critic's piece, but there are too many like him around, but they will never belittle the marvellous work of the RBL, and memories such as all of yours.

I salute them, and you too. xx