R.I.P Acker Bilk

Options
rondetto
rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
edited 4. Nov 2014, 13:35 in Community Chit-chat archive
Stranger on the shore, Acker Bilk has died at the age of 85. A big hit in the 60's and famous for wearing a bowler hat and braces, he was a brilliant clarinet player.
R.I.PAcker

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Indeed he was, Rondetto, back in my clarinet-playing days there were two things I wanted to master, Stranger on the Shore and the fantastic glissando which opens Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. I managed the first! Mr DD and me like the music of his era so he will be heard again in this household. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    Options
    Brilliant, I remember him well, he played at our British Legion club, I also met Eddie Calvert there too.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I loved Acker and his music. I too mastered Stranger on the Shore and it finally gave me a musical direction, I moved on to Rhapsody in Blue, the saxophone and spending my free time playing in bands, making money and drinking it. It was a really fun way to spend my mid teens and I got so much from it so thank you Mr Bilk I salute you!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I well remember Acker Bilk,Stranger On the Shore is a very haunting tune,i keep humming it. Mig