I'm planning another holiday....

charleeh
charleeh Member Posts: 173
edited 25. Nov 2014, 10:57 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi all,

I am planning to go to Arizona next year March/April to go bird watching and hopefully have a hippie moment with the Hopi and Navajo! :lol:

My poor husband is working overtime so we can afford it! ...... I am praying I do not get ill from now till then and can manage the flight and all the travelling! we plan to go from Tucson to Flagstaff!

Last time I went to America and went to New Orleans I got celulitis (you might remember some of my posts) and had a year long flare because of it, I ended up with a $5,000 medical bill that thankfully my insurance settled.... (I hope they did settle it and the FBI don't arrest me when I get off the plane lol)

So I am really really really trying to keep my fingers crossed that this trip works out better!!!!

I did go to Majorca this year which I managed fine but it made me remember how much I hate flying - I'm not afraid of planes I just don't like being herded around like cattle in a pen :roll:

& I have started to apply for a part time job in accounts again, I am self employed at the moment but only work 1 day a month (upping it to 2 soon) but I need the extra income...... arthritis prevents you from working your way up in the working world doesn't it??

Hope everyone else is well?

Anyone else planning any holidays?? or got any tips on keeping the seasonal germy folk at bay?? LOL

Best wishes,
Charleeh x

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sounds great Charleeh - hope you have a wonderful time, and don`t get ill this time!

Hubby & I are retired these last few years, so we tend to plan a few mini-breaks - we`ve just come back from Loch Lomond, having had three nights there. We like to go to Scotland spring & autumn.

Next April we`re going to Amsterdam, sailing from our local port overnight, and staying a couple of days there. Summertime we nearly always go to a tiny fishing village in Portugal, where we know many of the locals, and time just about stands still - there are no Happy Hours, no co**tail bars, no English breakfasts & hardly any tourists.No hotels either, we rent a place.

To anyone off on a trip, enjoy,

Tezz x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Charleeh that sounds wonderful, and something I would love to do..but think I will have to stick to my short breaks..hope you have a lovely time and more to the point stay has well as possible..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    We are going to Scotland in dec for a turkey and tinsel trip there are 8 of us going altogether and then in feb we are going to Lake Como. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It sounds lovely, charleeh :D Do try to take in the Grand Canyon if you're in Flagstaff. It's totally mind-blowing. I only went because the others wanted to but, from our arrival, we were all just grinning like idiots at the amazing, ever-changing (with the light) beauty. We went on a beautiful April day and, despite the shirt-sleeve weather, could see patches of snow on some parts. We stayed from noon until the last rays of the sunset. Magic.

Sedona is interesting in a rather 'new-agey' way.

We hope to be with our son in California, as usual, at that time. Flights tend to be a bit cheaper if you leave before Easter.

Please arrange your travel insurance carefully and get wheelchair assistance. I don't know if you're aware but the USA requires 6 months on your passport and you now need to fill in the ESTA form before leaving the UK rather that the old green form on the plane. (Be careful. Use the official site. Some charge the earth.)

I wish you every success in your job-hunting. Yes, arthritis is expensive.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Sounds great charleeh hope you have a great trip without any mishaps xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • charleeh
    theresak wrote:
    Next April we`re going to Amsterdam, sailing from our local port overnight, and staying a couple of days there. Summertime we nearly always go to a tiny fishing village in Portugal, where we know many of the locals, and time just about stands still - there are no Happy Hours, no co**tail bars, no English breakfasts & hardly any tourists.No hotels either, we rent a place.

I have been to Amsterdam, it is quite nice there - I visited a cheese factory and bought cheese and clog's haha!! - I know what you mean Tezz about getting away from the 'brits abroad thing' - if we hear other English people when we are on holiday we keep quiet so they don't know we are English, I love to go on holiday and experience other cultures and amerce myself in them. You don't catch s eating 'burger and chips' hahaha :lol:

mig wrote:
    We are going to Scotland in dec for a turkey and tinsel trip there are 8 of us going altogether and then in feb we are going to Lake Como. Mig
    I only got my first taste of Scotland this year visiting Dunbar - I hope to get up much further than that and get some bird watching done lol - did you see any birds on your travels??
    Please arrange your travel insurance carefully and get wheelchair assistance. I don't know if you're aware but the USA requires 6 months on your passport and you now need to fill in the ESTA form before leaving the UK rather that the old green form on the plane. (Be careful. Use the official site. Some charge the earth.)

I need to check if we need to have new ESTA's, we had them last year for New Olreans..... & I use all clear for my travel insurance cus you can have it down in black and white exactly whats wrong with you..... who do you use Sticky?
    & Thanks for the heads up about Sedona!! - That sounds right up my street lol!! ..... we are hoping to do a grand canyon trip too ..... I pray I will see a road runner, hubby is hoping for hummingbirds lol!!

Thanks for the replies everyone.....

I was going to book the flights tonight but just realised I owe to much on the credit card (I had to order a tumble dryer for nan and some bears for auntie and xmas stuff for mom..... yes, they all refuse to use the tinternet so they put me as their online shopper lol :lol: )
    I have to wait for the bill to come now so I can pay their money off so I can book my holiday lol :roll:

Best wishes
    Charleeh x
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Sounds wonderful. Whatever you end up doing, just make sure you have a great time.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    We're going away for a few days soon. I'm dreading it but admire your ambition, I hope you can book it soon, having a target you wish to achieve does make things more tolerable. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    charleeh wrote:
    I need to check if we need to have new ESTA's, we had them last year for New Olreans..... & I use all clear for my travel insurance cus you can have it down in black and white exactly whats wrong with you..... who do you use Sticky?
    & Thanks for the heads up about Sedona!! - That sounds right up my street lol!! ..... we are hoping to do a grand canyon trip too ..... I pray I will see a road runner, hubby is hoping for hummingbirds lol!!

I think ESTA forms last for two years but better check.

We seem to change travel insurers every time, a bit like any other insurance.

Never seen a road runner but lots of humming birds and lizards, a gopher, a couple of snakes, half a moose :wink: (Grand Canyon bushes), a skunk and a splendid piece of tumbleweed which bounced theatrically straight across a deserted Route 66 in front of our car. I love hearing the crickets in the evening though not so much the coyotes later on.
    Steven Wright
  • charleeh
    Just booked all my flights and got my Esta's sorted :mrgreen:

really excited now!!!

figuratively speaking... got my fingers crossed that I stay well now.

keeping away from Germy folk now haha

Xx
  • stickywicket
    That's a long time to stay germ-free in winter, charleeh. Get that alcohol gel everywhere and make sure visitors use it too. Good luck :D
    Steven Wright
  • charleeh
    Get that alcohol gel everywhere and make sure visitors use it too.

great idea sticky!!! I will enforce quarantine restrictions lol :lol: