Update re xray and bloods

Options
Hips12
Hips12 Member Posts: 62
edited 5. Nov 2014, 07:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well, there are definitely no inflammatory or Rheumatoid markers in my bloods, and as this has been going on for 3+ years now I think I can accept that I definitely have Osteoarthritis and not any other kind.
The recent xray has shown deterioration in my right hip which has changed from moderate to severe and my left hip from mild to moderate so there is definitely degenerative joint disease present.
I have also noticed that I am getting boney lumps on my fingers now too.
I therefore just have to carry on with the cocodamol tablets and ketoprofen gel and will have to get some weight off in preparation for a possible hip replacement in the future ( my dr advised that at 54 they will want to hold off on it for as long as possible )
On a separate note she has given me some tablets to help me sleep as it is becoming a regular thing for me to drop off around midnight then be up making a decaf coffee at 2.30 in the morning and still being awake at 6.
Will only take them until I get into a better sleep pattern.

Hips x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am pleased that there is no sign of an auto-immune (they are not fun). I am not surprised that they won't do your hip just yet, I was refused new knees when I was 52 because I was too young - the fear is that us younger people will stress the new joints too much so further replacements will be needed: the fact that I'm riddled with two kinds so won't be running marathons was ignored. Three years on both ankles and both hips are now OA affected so I may not bother having the knees, I can't see the point. Keep up with the cocos and the gel, I take 30/500 for my pain and occasionally take a diclo or two to help matters. Has your GP suggested an anti-inflammatory? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Hips12
    Options
    Hi Dreamdaisy, no I haven't been prescribed any anti-inflammatorys so far but she said to go back and see her if things got worse again, as the really bad pain in my right hip has calmed down....for now.
    I am also on 30/500 coco's and can usually get by on 4 a day unless I have a nasty flare up.

Whilst obviously pleased not to have been diagnosed with an inflammatory arthritis I still feel confused by some of my symptoms which would point to that and the fact that a recent course of steroids for my asthma had the added benefit of helping the arthritis too, but all blood tests have come back clear every time so maybe it is just referred aches and pains from other areas, as with the breast pain coming from my ribs.

Nothing more my GP can do really other than keep me topped up on the cocodamol and gel.

I hope you are doing ok Dreamdaisy.

Hips x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Steroids help many areas of life which is why they're so dangerous in the long-term. I use my inhalers daily but have to remind myself to use the brown one, the preventer: I inhale my steroids nowadays but not in enough quantity to ease the joints! I' m not OK but no matter, it's only pain and the nasty weather - at least the latter might improve. :lol: We can get a deal of referred pain because we (unintentionally) hold our bodies pretty taut as we try to minimise pain when moving or resting. Keep warm, heat helps to ease the more surface levels of pain. DD
  • Hips12
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are not too good at the moment Dreamdaisy, I hope things improve soon for you.

My asthma is usually well controlled with my meds but I have had a couple of nasty spells during the last 2 summers for some reason and had to take a 5 day course of steroids.
    Then a couple of months ago I bought a new memory foam mattress for my adjustable bed and ended up in hospital ...turned out it was the fumes from the memory foam that had irritated my lungs, so was put on another course of steroids for 8 days ...that was when I discovered the nasties of steroids with a mouth full of ulcers :(

I'm always amazed when I read that the experts say there is no proof that cold and damp weather affects arthritis...I think they should ask the millions of sufferers about that!
    Mind you as one who loves to be outside in the fresh air when the sun is shining, I will take my book reader and some blankets and sit in the garden even if there is frost on the ground ( I have a lovely comfy garden armchair)

Hips x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Hips
    I know how you feel, I am going through the same and think there is more going on ..my blood didn't show and inflammation, thanks goodness but its the not knowing.. I could even go back to childhood and joint pain.. and still they cant get to the bottom of it..I do hope the meds help you ...I was taken off the antiinflams because of kidney trouble but they really helped..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I'm pleased you have an answer and agree with DD that an auto-immune arthritis isn't a good option :)

You may find anti-inflammatory tablets help better than the gel but remember that, if you use both, you can overdose on it.

As for weather - well, mostly we agree that it affects us but it affects different people in different ways. I don't mind cold but my RA hates humid heat. You can't really prove anything on anecdotal evidence.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Hips12
    Options
    Thanks Barbara, it is really frustrating isn't it.
    Don't get me wrong, I know we don't WANT inflammatory arthritis but there is just something that doesn't feel right and I was convinced that this time the results would be different.
    I have lost count of the number of times I have researched the differences between OA and RA just to check and check again, but my results just aren't backing it up and after 3 and a half years of normal bloods I am just having to accept that my hunch is wrong.
    I hope you can get some confirmation one way or the other, in time, Barbara
    It's nice to know I'm not alone in this confusion.

Hips x
  • Hips12
    Options
    Hi stickywicket, I was just going reply to your thread about your good start to the day and the dishy doctor :P
    Glad you are having a better one, at least to start with, and I hope you continue to have a good day.

You are so right, I wouldn't want to have RA or any of the other autoimmune versions but you know when you get a feeling that something isn't the whole story?
    For example my joint pains have always been on both sides of my body at the same time ( could be referred pain, I guess but both hips,for example are affected as shown in xray and both wrists, hands and shoulders are painful) and the pain on the ball of my foot and the recent suggestion of sjorgrens syndrome would point to an autoimmune problem?
    I don't know why my GP hadn't suggested anti-inflammatorys as it sounds like they could be helpful.
    I will chase that up, thank you.

Hips x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    In the summer my auto-immune worsens due to heat and high humidity, in the cooler, damper months my OA reminds me it's still around. The meds for the auto-immune do nothing for the OA, the constant blood tests are a damned nuisance and the dithering over whether to inject or not in case one has a bug is another necessary bother. It is entirely possible to have an auto-immune condition such as Sjogren's alongside OA, the human body is a weird, and at times not very wonderful, thing. :( DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hips there are other autoimmune,and ones that are caused by other things ie Stills disease,sorry there were others but mi brain not working yet.. so you keep on doing your homework..x oh just thought of some hemochromatosis... Lymes ..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hips12 wrote:
    the recent suggestion of sjorgrens syndrome would point to an autoimmune problem?

Sjorgrens is definitely an auto-immune problem. Have you been diagnosed with it? (I'm sorry if you've already told us :oops: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Hips12
    Options
    Not been officially diagnosed with sjorgrens in fact I hadn't even heard of it until I was referred to the hospital after having an eye test ( pressure was raised, mother had glaucoma so they wanted me to be tested further ) and during the testing the ophthalmologist said I had very dry eyes "but that will be due to the arthritis".
    When I said I had never heard of that being a symptom before, she told me about sjorgrens and I said that's strange as I had previously been diagnosed with severe vaginal dryness during a bladder scan ( recurrent uti's ) and had always suffered with a dry mouth and very dry skin.
    I mentioned it to my GP who said yes I could have it but was more concerned with getting up to date X-rays and bloods taken because of very painful hip and I forgot to even bring it up yesterday evening!!
    So no I haven't had it officially diagnosed or had a lip biopsy or saliva test because with my hip being so painful it took a backseat.
    I will bring it up again next time I see her.

Hips x
  • Hips12
    Options
    Thank you Barbara I will continue with my research, but maybe that's the problem, too much Googling.
    I have definitely had all kinds of diseases in the past, as a result :lol:

Hips x
  • Hips12
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    In the summer my auto-immune worsens due to heat and high humidity, in the cooler, damper months my OA reminds me it's still around. The meds for the auto-immune do nothing for the OA, the constant blood tests are a damned nuisance and the dithering over whether to inject or not in case one has a bug is another necessary bother. It is entirely possible to have an auto-immune condition such as Sjogren's alongside OA, the human body is a weird, and at times not very wonderful, thing. :( DD

I think I feel worse in the cold Dreamdaisy, I love the heat but can't stand it as much as I used to be able to in my younger days, I was a real sun worshipper.
    After I lost my husband, I went to Disney Paris with my family and my friend and her children who are our godchildren, as we wanted to treat them all, and although we were all completely raw at our loss we knew my husband wouldn't have wanted to let the kids down so I literally dragged myself there through a fog of grief.
    Anyway it was 2010,that bitterly cold snowy winter, and it was minus 8 at Disneyland.
    Everyone was able to keep warm, running around, going on rides etc except me, I can't go on anything because of an inner ear disorder which causes dizziness so I had to sit and watch.
    I swear my whole body froze over those few days and I haven't been the same since.
    I still believe that the shock of losing my husband, so suddenly and unexpectedly, did something to my body but that freezing weather also did something to me.

Hips x