Hip injection info please

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
edited 6. Nov 2014, 05:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
A friend has asked if anaesthesia is routinely offered for these. I've never had a hip injection. Can anyone enlighten me, please?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I had one via guided ultrasound, and they injected some local anaesthetic in first. I don't know if you mean that, or a larger,General anaesthetic.
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Do you mean a steroid injection? I've had two, but, as far as I know, the anaesthetic is included as part of the cortisone injection. This means that when the anaesthetic wears off it might be a bit sore, but I didn't have a problem with either of them. I found the ones into my hands a lot more painful.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thank you, Tezz and megrose. I confess I'm not sure what I mean – guided or unguided, steroid (I presume) or non-steroid. All I know is he's a bloke, a tough bloke and therefore rather scared :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    If there wasn't any info included with an appointment letter was there a contact number for queries - or hasn't it got as far as an appointment yet?
    The comment about tough bloke therefore scared brought back memories of my time working for a dentist, and the burly workmen going down like ninepins at the sight of blood when they had an extraction.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Sorry, daffy, but I can't answer that yet. He saw the consultant on Tuesday, the x-rays apparently bore no relationship to pain levels (Now where have we heard that before :roll: ) and, with his other THR, the pain was far less and the x-rays far worse so a jab is in the offing.
    Steven Wright