There's service...and there's John Lewis service

daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 9. Nov 2014, 07:59 in Community Chit-chat archive
When JL withdrew their account card service I decided to get a Partnership card(to replace the monopoly supermarket credit card I currently have), and finally managed to get to the store to apply in person. After going through the necessary, the pleasant young lady gave me a voucher and said 'go and have a complimentary drink and cake while I put this through. If there aren't any queries I'll have your temporary card ready by the time you come back'. So off I toddled to the eatery, where I was a bit stumped as I couldn't see where the trays were( I was last in there about 3 years ago). As I dithered, lo and behold a tray materialised beside me accompanied by the words 'you look as if you need this', and a smile.So I had me a pot of tea and a glutenfree lemon cake, went back and yes, there was my card, all ready to buy the hearthrug I wanted.
All very civilised, and much appreciated after an unsettling rheumy appt earlier in the day.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You can't beat them, can you? I recently bought a cordless vacuum from there only to discover after two hours it wasn't charging any more. I tried it in a number of sockets, with no resulting joy, so repacked it and trotted back to JL. They plugged it in, no joy, so instantly handed me another one (which is still working). I know, however, that if this one fails the same thing will happen again.

I love browsing round our JL at Home, it's only a little shop but it has beautiful things, then I pop to Waitrose next door for lovely foody things. DD sighs wistfully.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I buy all our big electric appliances there ,they unpack fit take the old one away and all the packaging,when i had a new cooker earlier this year they even gave me a quick run through on how it worked.
    Got the paper pattern and fabric for my wedding dress there (my aunt made it ) and the bridesmaids dresses .You get what you pay for.Mig
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    I totally agree. We've always found them excellent and their customer service is second to none. In fact, even if we've found an item cheaper elsewhere, we will often buy at John Lewis' because of this.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    A few weeks ago our fridge packed in. We investigated, online, ones that would both fit into the unusual space and be accessible for me. There was one on the market :roll: and most places sold it.

Our local Curry's (Comet? Whichever one didn't go bust) didn't have one in stock and referred us to their larger branch 5 or 6 miles away. They didn't have one either. We went back to our local branch and explained they had them on the internet. They could order one for us but, if there was a problem for me getting it open, we'd have to return it ourselves or pay for the return.

JL, some 27 miles away didn't have one in stock but would get one, deliver it and, if there was a problem, come back and pick it up at no expense to us. Guess who we opted for?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    'Fraid I've found them a bit expensive lately so have bought quite a few goods, that I would normally purchase from them, from cheaper, but recommended, online shops (their never knowingly undersold does not apply to online shopping).

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    We bought a fridge freezer there last year, which had to be an exact size to fit our space, and it was delivered & fitted without any fuss exactly when promised.

We`ve just had an estimate for some wood flooring from them, and the service has been fantastic so far, and they`re coming on the 28th to do the job, as well as remove old carpet, and move /put back all furniture.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Sadly I spent a month trying to buy two highchairs from JL. They messed up delivery royally and when the highchairs finally arrived they were badly broken. It then took them a fortnight to pick them up. I haven't darkened their doors since. I was gutted, they didn't really care about the whole mess and it involved much hard work on my behalf sorting it out.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    Well, that certainly redresses the balance a bit, LV. I think I'd have complained as high up the ladder as possible. I can't see them being happy with that sort of (dis)service.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I would have taken it further but the weeks of trying to get it sorted broke me and I just walked away from it all. They were lovely wooden highchairs but the lack of surprise at them shattering in transit left me thinking it had happened before and would happen again. Ah well, at least I'm alone in my situation with JL.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That is shocking, LV, and so far removed from my experiences with them., I am sorry. I can understand why you couldn't chase them up, it's another hassle which was not needed. :( DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    I should add, it's maybe a good thing that they broke before your two little ones were placed in them. What a scary thought!
    Steven Wright
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    My experience of their service is that they are outstanding..... wouldn't use anyone else. Lv try calling again they really do go out of their way to sort things to the customers satisfaction.
    Ruby
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I was listening to someone local who runs an acting school being interviewed on local radio. The child (the presenter said it was a girl but I thought it was a boy) who is in their new Xmas advert comes from this acting school. Anyway, the owner of the school said that anyone who is in their adverts is looked after like VIPs. She couldn't praise them enough.
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    While we're handing out accolades (and brickbats)....I ordered a small gift on Thursday from Not On the High Street and received it (standard delivery) the following day with a lovely hand-written note from the seller. I emailed NOTHS to say how impressed I was with the service from both them and the seller and got an almost immediate, personal thank you from their customer services section saying they'd pass my appreciation on to the seller.

Feel good factor all round. You can't beat it.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I'm in the process or choosing a dishwasher. Its £50 more for the same product with JL and the delivery date would be later than with another online company (which i have used before and who are excellent).

That is a shame LV as they are usually prompt at replacing items. when you say you walked away I hope you don't mean you missed out on a refund.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein