Thyroid/arthritis/psoriasis

Options
ruby2
ruby2 Member Posts: 423
edited 10. Nov 2014, 02:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone have thyroid problems related to arthritis/psoriasis? I have an appointment this week and the suggestion is the swelling in my neck is due to other auto immune problems. thank you.
Ruby

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm not aware that I do but it's something I must get around to investigating, my constant sweating and hot flush-type feeling may be thyroid-related. Please let us know how the appointment goes. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I'm fairly sure I'm right in saying that both PsA and an underactive thyroid are both auto-immune conditions (Well, PsA certainly is) so I guess anyone with auto-immune problems is liable to pick up other auto-immune diseases on the way. I have RA, asthma and allergic rhinitis and my thyroid is currently being tested though I don't foresee a problem.

I know there are some on here with thyroid problems and I hope they'll be around soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ruby2
    Options
    Thank you ladies.
    DD I'm the opposite, since my hot flushes naturally stopped I now feel the cold very easily and can't get warm again for ages.
    Sticky I hope your tests come back favourably. It does make sense about the auto immune system having a party with several conditions attending.
    Will let you know how I get on.
    Ruby
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Ruby
    Sorry I wont be much help, I have OA, but have just had my second test for thyroid it is borderline..apparently its very common in women of a certain age..you let us know how you get on..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • ruby2
    Options
    Thank you Barbara nice to hear from you.
    Had no symptoms as such, as I put the fatigue down to the arthritis. But the consultant last week said the front of my throat looked slightly enlarged.
    I have to say since that I have developed a rotten cough and cold as have most of the children in my class.
    School think keeping the rooms cold/freezing keeps the children more alert.....well maybe it does but it also creates poor attendance figure cos they are all off sick!
    Think they are just saving money on the heating, but its affecting my health just like it did last year. :(
    Ruby
  • resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Yes, I've got RA, hypothyroid and pernicious anaemia. Not sure which came first but my rheumy told me it's common to have a triad of auto immune conditions. On the plus side, the hypothyroid means I can get free prescriptions :)