Lack of sleep.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 11. Nov 2014, 14:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am used to limited and poor quality sleep of a night, and have learned to function reasonably well despite not being well-rested, but I've hit a new low today thanks to the nocturnal disturbances last night emanating from my spouse.

He is in full-time work and by full-time I mean he's out of the house for twelve to fourteen hours of the working week days, sometimes sixteen. At least six hours are devoted to the office every weekend too, he enjoys it but it can be quite lonely for me. When I cant sleep I lie very quiet so I don't disturb him - he has just as a demanding life as me, albeit in a very different way, but when he can't sleep the goal posts are not moved, they are flung off the pitch.

We kicked off at around 3.15am with the yawning, loud and long, with a dramatic exhale as he closes his mouth. His pillow is picked up, punched, and chucked back down. The duvet is dragged even further across to his side of the bed then clamped to his sides with his arms. He harrumphs, sighs, yawns again and so it goes on. He eventually had the decency to mumble 'Ja wanna cup-a-tea?' at 4.15am so we did and read for a little while. He then settled back down but I was now wide awake thanks to the caffeine (he forgot to use the decaff which is my preferred option for tea at that kinda time). He then slept restlessly, and I lay there doing my church mouse thing and listening to the heavy rain.

I have now been awake for just over twelve hours and have much to do in readiness for our break but I do not have the physical wherewithal to do any of it. I am considering abandoning the day and opting for early bed with an early start for the chores. We hope to be on the road by 10am and he, as penance, can do all the driving. I will try not to wince too visibly as he thrashes my car's engine, hunting for an acceleration she cannot produce plus a sixth gear she doesn't have. :roll: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My sympathies my friend ,my sleep quality and length of time is getting poor but not to the extent of yours.I must try some decaf.Hope it's a bit better tonight. Mig
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I sympathize too, DD - my problem is taking hours to actually get off to sleep.

Hope you get a decent sleep tonight.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    You enjoy your well earned break DD..I am good at going to sleep.. but not staying that way...hopefully you will have a good rest..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    I'm the same, Barbara. I regularly wake in the early hours and find it difficult to get back to sleep.

I hope you have a happy, relaxing holiday DD.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I hope last night's exhaustion proved useful in the end.

I well recall the days when I had to endure Mr SW wrestling with my frail little mini. Practise biting your tongue before leaving. :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Enjoy your break hopefully it will do the both of you good in the sleep department xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,941
    Options
    Hello DD
    i think you need a rest and a holiday.
    have a good time
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    SOLUTION????

Simples

Have a bedroom each,
    ahhhh
    sheer luxury, but then I have been married for almost 50 years :roll:

Probably started off a heated debate as to it being the end of a marriage
    blah blah blah - No its comfort and sleep all round and everyone happy at our house, I wouldn't have wanted my hubby disturbed especially whilst he was working long hours when I became ill.
    But thats just us, realise it won't suit everyone but it certainly works here.

Kath
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    We're well away from everything - literally: it's nearly four miles to the nearest shop but, fortunately, only three hundred yards to the local pub. :D

I would like separate bedrooms (and we have the space to do so) but he won't hear of it which I guess is a compliment. We both slept well last night and have had a rather lazy day. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I'm another one who does the separate bedrooms, stops me keeping him awake with my tossing and turning and prevents him waking me with his snoring. Also works because we have very different body clocks.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    You enjoy DD and glad to see you both had a good sleep x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Hope you have a good holiday, you deserve it.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich