My knees won't give me a break

Options
scozzie
scozzie Member Posts: 333
edited 14. Nov 2014, 04:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

Sorry I've not been around for a while. I was diagnosed with OA of my hands, knees and feet over three years ago and in that time I've sorta managed to find ways to cope, in conjunction with my meds, so that any pain is generally in the background (ie not too acute) ... ok, with some flare ups from time to time! I've been keeping active and doing a lot of walking, which doesn't bother my knees and feet that much -- unless there's some hills, uneven surfaces, or sudden changes in direction.

But in recent months, especially since my flight back Oz, my knees have been giving hell, I'm rarely getting any let up at all. I'm currently seeing a Physio to try and strengthen the muscles around my knees, sometimes I feel the exercises are working and at others not! Even on full meds I don't feel I'm getting much respite ... yesterday at my grand-daughter's first birthday party I had to take two trammies which barely touched them. A lot of the time it's like I've got a really bad tooth ache in the both of them.

I really don't know what to do to get some relief, I don't think going back to see my GP is gonna do much good ... has anyone any advice, please!

Scozzie

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think you could give the doc a try. He might suggest a steroid jab in each. Or even x-rays to determine the current score. Keep plugging away with the physio. At the very least it will maintain your range of movement :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • scozzie
    Options
    Thanks sticky, I had thought about steroid jabs back in July, but never got around to it and they did improve for a while ... lol
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I can completely empathise, Scozzie, it's flaming miserable. :( Both my knees are shot to bits, firstly with my PsA and secondly the OA which moved in thanks to the joint damage. It's been like this for a few years now, so I'm used to it but I agree, nothing touches the pain in any efficient and comfortable way. Toothache in the joints is a very good description. :( DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • scozzie
    Options
    Time for an update.

I saw my GP, well a GP at my local practice, on Tuesday and explained my knees situation and whilst not being given anything to help right now (although things have eased off over past couple days) she did decide to send me for an X-Ray on both knees to see how much they had deteriorated since my last ones four years ago. I was in for the X-rays this afternoon.

Dependent on the outcome of the X-rays I'll either be referred back to the Rheumy for the possibility of cortisone injections, or referred to an orthopaedic surgeon.

Of note tonight I noticed when I sat down on the side of my bed that my right knee ground louder and differently to usual.

One thing I have found is if I what to freak someone out, I get them to put a hand on my knee cap whilst I'm sitting and I then flex my leg ... they usually pull their hand straight away and squeal -- then I tell them that's why I sometimes limp or am in a lot of discomfort. I'm not gonna do that with my grandson though, the little (6yo) **** would probably love it ... lol!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Of course he'd love it, scozzie. He's a mini-bloke :lol: My two sons used to love coming to my blood tests, partly because they were little ghouls and partly because they were occasionally given a large syringe (minus needle) for a water pistol.

I'm not sure the change in sound effects means anything. Arthritic knees deteriorate, end of. I'm glad you've taken action, though . It sounds as if things might improve a bit one way or another. I hope so.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright