Restarting Anti TNF after surgery

Options
jabster
jabster Member Posts: 39
edited 22. Nov 2014, 08:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone :)

I've been on Enbrel for over a year now, stopped it 4 weeks ago for surgery last week (not Arthur related). Surgery went well and wounds are healing. Spoke to my Rheumy nurse and can't restart Enbrel until wounds are fully healed :( Wish I could start it now

Anyone else had to stop Anti TNF for surgery? How long was it before you could restart and did you feel the same benefit of the drug on restarting?

Thank you :) x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I 've never done anti-tnfs so never had to re-start. However, I have had a similar situation with methotrexate. When I had a THR I'd to stop it for several weeks before but, by the time of my knee revision, the same surgeon said research had shown it made little difference so I had it almost right up to surgery and started again very soon after. On both occasions it worked well after surgery.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jabster
    Options
    Thank you :)

I've to see my GPs nurse next week to check the wounds, hopefully I can restart then :) x
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hope your app goes well and you can start your meds again. Mig
  • premierscfc04
    premierscfc04 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    When I had my last operation while taking Anti-TNF I was allowed to restart after 2 weeks as long as the operation site had healed ok and had no signs of infection.

Hope this helps
  • Tia1723
    Tia1723 Bots Posts: 43
    Options
    As there is no clear role established yet, between anti-RA therapy and wound healing and infection risk, different societies have different guidelines for restarting anti TNF.

For example, the American College of Rheumatology (ACR) recommends stopping anti-TNF therapy 1 week prior to surgery and restarting 1 week after surgery, whereas in Britain the recommendation is to stop 3–5 half-lives preoperatively and to restart after wound healing.

In a summary, experts believe that anti-TNF should not be restarted after surgery until there is good wound healing and no evidence of infection, as introducing them may hamper wound healing and predispose to infections.

Hope I helped.

Love,Tia.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oooh er, Tia. A half-life after surgery sounds scary even though I know what you mean :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • jabster
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Got the go ahead to restart Enbrel today. Last one was 14th Oct.
    Fingers crossed it works as well as before :)
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oh I do hope so. My fingers are crossed too :D
    Steven Wright