Is there a government fund...

Options
LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 14. Nov 2014, 01:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm guessing not but is there a government fund to help with the cost of work equipment? I know this is working matters but that seems to be looking at the tougher end of things with DLA and PIP and I was just wondering if there was a disability fund that would help my company fund a new laptop/ tablet that was more hand friendly than the one I currently use...anybody know of anything?
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I would try contacting Access to work through job centre plus. They will assess you and then reccomend equipment although I know the degree of f6nding does to some extent depend on your place of employment. As I work in a school mine was part funded, and I'm not sure how it works if you work from home. As part of mine I got Dragon voice to text software and 1-1 training on this (invaluable to help me get the most out of it) as I find word processing very painful and it's made a huge difference though I know not everyone gets on with it. They are quick as well to get the assessment done and the report to you.

Hope this is helpful
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Thanks Slosh, that was a super fast response! I have contacted them and asked them via email - their phones are down. I can't go with the voice activated software because I spend a lot of time working on digital mapping which involves lots of mouse/ tracker ball work - a tablet or touch screen arrangement would be a godsend for that sort of work. I do normally work in the office as and when possible but my work and set up means I can work remotely and I'm trusted to so we work on the basis that if being at home means I can work my full days rather than commuting making that harder for me to achieve then I work from home. I'm also hoping, once things pick up, to try working from home until after rush hour, commuting and working on the train, spending some time in the office and repeating the work journey home before rush hour so I can at least sit on a train rather than stand squidged against an armpit.
    I'm feeling a bit teary as you only have to read a few posts on here to realise how blooming lucky I am to have a boss who will be as flexible as he is in letting me work out my best approach (either that or he realises how fabulous I am at my job and doesnt want to lose me :lol::lol: )!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Slosh
    Options
    No problem, I hope they are helpful, the person who did my assessment was lovely (she told me she used to do PIP assessments). It sounds as though you are lucky with your boss, it does make a huge difference as I'm finding out. My head is very supportive, previously he agreed that if we get snow this winter I can work from home, and having seen that I struggle the following day if I have to do an after school meeting has said he is happy for me to go in later on those days.

Hope you can get something sorted soon, as the ad says, every little helps!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I think both you two ladies have good bosses because the good bosses know when they're well off.

LV I could only think of the Disabled Living Foundation. I think Slosh had a better idea but, if i doubt, it might be worth checking out. Or just find your local DIAL UK and ask for advice. Good luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks Sticky for the vote of confidence.
    Julian of Norwich