Dislocated Hip not noticed

Options
jennyburns1234
jennyburns1234 Member Posts: 2
edited 16. Nov 2014, 17:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi - My mum, 72 and myself 41, both have rheumatoid arthritus - Mum has had it since her early 30s and our disease has been very different. Mum has had many visits to hospital over the years and many replacements, including both hips twice. Unfortunately to top it all at the beginning of the year we suspected early dementia but this has been confused with urine infections and what we now know, that one of her hips was dislocated without her realising. This is an old revision not a new one and the surgeon has confirmed is in good condition. She has been in hospital now for 9 weeks, it was relocated but she does not have the muscle/tissue strength to hold it in the correct position and her surgeon has now left it in its new position just above the socket in the pelvis. It has almost made a new socket and we are at present awaiting a raised shoe so Mum can move on with physio to strengthen her. She is weak and bed ridden most of the time and i honestly cannot see the NHS pulling this off. This week she had 2 days of 7 with the physios - has anyone else experienced anything like this that can offer me some hope or different avenues to help Mum - Thank you

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Your poor Mum! How upsetting for both of you!

With your many combined years of arthritis, plus your Mum's 2 THRs and 2 revisions, you'll know that dislocation is an ongoing potential problem with THRs. If, as you say, your Mum is mostly bedridden it's hard to see how her muscles can strengthen enough to hold a replacement joint in position. (I've had RA for 53 years and have had 2 THRs, 2 TKRs and a knee revision – all good.)

I've also had to wear surgical shoes for most of my life and I can vouch for the inestimable value of a good orthotist so the shoe alteration should help.

I'm wondering why your Mum's mobility is so bad ie what are the chances of it improving? Have her RA meds not worked well? Does she lack the opportunity to get about eg shops or friend's houses? Maybe she has additional medical problems.

I'm sure it's possible to walk with a dislocated hip. I recall a 5 yr old neighbour being knocked down by a car when I was a teenager. It was a blessing in disguise as it was discovered she'd had a dislocated hip from birth which was then fixed.

Are the physios optimistic for your Mum? How does she herself feel about it?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I feel so sorry for you poor mum
    I did wonder about her being bed bound?
    I had my 2nd THR in Jan, and fracture the greater trochanter bone doing an NHS exercise. :shock: They discovered afterwards I have osteoporosis. That's why it fractured so easily.
    The point I'm getting at is a bit of bone has separated and moved up so the fracture will never heal.....I have a very pronounced dip and am not at all steady without a crutch.
    I can do exercises, and walk about {with 2 crutches} I know its not quite the same as your mums but it is a THR gone wrong and will never heal.
    Does she have other problems that cause the immobility?
    If she can move even a little bit its good.....exercise {proper ones} are the best thing other wise your muscles just waste away.
    Let us know what happens
    Love
    Hileena
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Hi Jenny, I don't know anything about hip replacement but I feel so sorry for both you and your mum. It must be a real worry for you especially with the dementia diagnosis. I send you my best wishes and hope that you can get some kind of help for her and remember to look after your own health too.
    Love, Deb