bath, don't know what I was thinking

bridesmum
bridesmum Member Posts: 181
edited 18. Nov 2014, 10:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
We stayed in a beautiful hotel on friday night with a fabulous luxury bathroom. I don't know why I decided that I would have a lovely deep, bubbly bath. We have only had walk in showers in our home for the last 5 years as I can't step over the side of a bath even to shower. Anyway I ran my bath and managed to haul myself over the side of the bath, knelt down!!!! I can't kneel as its excruciating but I FORGOT this only to find that I couldn't manage to get to a sitting position as my left knee struggles to bend or straighten without a lot of pain and my physically moving it with my hands. As I was kneeling there in agony trying to decide what to do my back went into spasm so I had to wait while it calmed down. I really, really wanted to lie in the bath but I knew that if I somehow managed to move my leg and lie down there wasn't a hope in hell of me being able to get out unaided :( I ended up just having a shower as usual. I don't know what made me so desperate to have a bath, I've never really enjoyed baths and even when I was fully functioning I only ever had showers. I think that I had temporarily forgotten my arthritis (even though I was in a lot of pain) and thought I could do normal things. The next day we were in Harrogate having a wander round the shops. We went into a vintage shop and had a browse, there was more stock upstairs which I would have loved to look at, but there were steep stairs and no lift so I couldn't go up. Its things like this that bother me most, my stupid, unreliable body stopping me doing things I want to do. Sorry that I sound like so whiney and selfish, I know that I'm luckier than many people who have far worse illnesses, but I just felt a bit sorry for myself :cry:

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    No you don't. It's frustrating, to put it mildly, when our body gets in tne way of us doing what should be simple, everyday things, and sometimes we just want to forget and act "normal", only to be brought up quickly.

I hope you feel better soon and can enjoy the rest of your break.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    We had to have our bath taken out after hubby had a stroke and now have a shower room ,i would love a long soak in a warm bubble bath ,glass of wine to hand maybe a choc or two soft music ,ah fantasy. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think you're just exhausted from the strain of moving and so you forgot all the basics. How about a new 'basic' - never lock the bathroom door and always be prepared to yell for help? Clearly it has settled fairly quickly if you could walk round Harrogate next day but don't take chances. Rest up a bit now.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    We had the bath taken out a few years ago, in favour of a big walk-in shower, but just occasionally, like Mig, I would love a good soak in nice bubbly bath.

I'm glad you managed to get up and out of the bath - I think I'd have needed a rescuer!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    We are away at the moment, staying in a comfortable cottage with a beautiful stand-alone bath. Tempting? For sure but seeing as how I haven't bathed for over twelve years I won't risk it because the pain of getting out will ruin any of the potential benefit. In the same bathroom is one of the smallest showers I have ever encountered: even having a shower is a struggle, I keep banging my elbows! DD

PS I never lock the bathroom door and, when things are very rough, take my mobile in with me if I'm home alone.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Nikkijamie
    Nikkijamie Member Posts: 34
    I feel for you x my best relaxation and pain relief is from a bath. Think I'd be devastated if I couldn't use my bath x big hugs to you all
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I also loved baths but one day I found I could not get out unaided so that was another pleasure denied. I could be hauled out by the OH but keep thinking he'll forget I'm still in there and go out and leave me or something.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein